InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I have to admit I always get a good laugh in the journal and if everyone on her is crazy then I found a home cause I'm about as Crazy as they come Lol. In fact I'm certified Crazy
:passitleft:

This weekend I went to delarf the Amnesia Haze auto but didn't find all that much I was comfortable taking off. The stems aren't very long so I left everything except this:
Hm, is that something I should look into, I wonder. I have some lower buds that are in a little shadow, although I try to tuck away leaves to max out their light. I'm also considering snipping off some shadowing semi-fan leaves at the main cola bases to let more light through to those 'detached' buds below. I'm nearing my first harvest and want as much produce as I can get (for Christmas! :)). As a neophyte I have no clue about balancing the amount of useable(?) popcorns (is that what they're called?) vs potentially larger main colas.

But then I learn about delarfing here... And also snipping off "lowers" in your LST thread. Are those half ripe buds usable for anything, like quick drying or...?

It's tough when you're starting out to know what's going to be larf and what is going to be solid, or if you have a new strain that is growing in a manner you haven't encountered before. It's also hard to delarf when you are focused on how much you can get off your plant (I'm well-stocked so that's not a consideration).

Keep in mind that larf can be almost as potent as the tops. It's harder to deal with at trimming time and it's fluffier that the stuff on the ends, but it shouldn't be considered second-rate when you harvest (as I have seen some growers do).

Delarfing is also a tough call when dealing with a true sativa, where you can have a series of budlets spread along the branches.

That said, delarfing can make the top colas fatter by directing all the growth hormones and sugars up top where the light is strongest. It also makes trimming so much easier. After I do a post-stretch thinning of lower branches, I take off any buds that are growing far enough below the main buds that they look like they will never get big enough to touch the buds above them. If that makes any sense!

In terms of what comes off, everything I take off (stems, larf, and green leaves) gets dried in the sun and dumped into a big cardboard box for use for skin salve.

Thanks, Shed - that's good info!

Given my lack of experience I'm leaning towards letting the buds be, and then snip off the odd shadowing leaf. Since I invested in the grow setup, there has been no going out and buying anything, so I'm keen on getting as much buds as possible this time around. When I have a buffer of produce, It'll be much easier to bring myself to experiment with delarfing and the like.

I doubt you have much larf on those plants given how compact they are, similar to my Amnesia Haze auto. It's more of a consideration with plants where you have nice long stems to work with.
Now, look below and see who's been delarfing like a madman! :p Those were living 3 or 4 cm above soil level on the lowest branches with nowhere to go.

I did find a couple of branches with buds that might have been actual delarfing candidates, but instead I tied them down so they got out of the darkest shadows, and I also placed an alu-foil parabolic'ish reflector on the soil to direct light to one of them. We're talking micro-tweaks here :nerd-with-glasses:

Day_57_larfing.JPG

InTheShed that was my sugar leaves I had Jared . I wished I’d smoked some of the shatter but all went in the oil . The rosin with the low thc is good that way . Mama was smoking a gram plus a day ! I squished a widow and she knew first hit , then she finished the bowl . Didn’t get to talk to her till the next morning, twice the high !

Back
Top Bottom