InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Hey all first time Grower here and honestly I'm struggling a bit. I reached out to @InTheShed and he suggested to post here for some assistance!

I'm growing in 5fal fabric pots in a 3x3 tent in Promix hp with GH nutrients flora, bloom, micro just added Cali magic and supplementing with AH B52. Used Mycos during planting and repot. I am experiencing very slow growth at 30 days my plants are still at the 4th node hovering around 4 to 6" and have been repotted in the 5gal pots for 2 weeks now. Using tap water at 6.5ph and feeding most waterings roughly every 3 to 4 days. I was using cheap no name LEDs but upgraded to a Mars Hydro tsw2000 on Monday. I've also added two small fans to promote circulation and last night switched to 24/0 light schedule as my temp was dropping from 24ish to 16 celsius on 20/4. I will be giving a friend one plant this weekend and if required upgrading to a larger tent in hand if they ever decide to actually grow! Attached pics of plants around 30 days old and feeding schedule I've been using.

Problems
Twisted leaves (possibly from heat, had a space heater going at one point, no longer required due to high heat output of new light)
Clawing leaf tips (possible nutrient toxicity but light green colour suggests otherwise)
Lime green new growth and light green tint on most upper leaves
Possible Calmag deficiency on a leaf brownish discolouration
Crunchy dry leaves
Brittle stems - snapped one clean off and a few other split during light training and bending. Could be my inexperience though.
Sloooow growth!
New growth comes in very feeble and wispy especially on the sativa dominant blue dream plant.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191107-183354.png
    Screenshot_20191107-183354.png
    525 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20191107_1805398.jpg
    IMG_20191107_1805398.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191107_1805269.jpg
    IMG_20191107_1805269.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20191105_1912475.jpg
    IMG_20191105_1912475.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20191105_1905548.jpg
    IMG_20191105_1905548.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20191104_2159265.jpg
    IMG_20191104_2159265.jpg
    857.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20191104_2159236.jpg
    IMG_20191104_2159236.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20191102_2114515.jpg
    IMG_20191102_2114515.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20191102_2114362.jpg
    IMG_20191102_2114362.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191105_1912165.jpg
    IMG_20191105_1912165.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Hey all first time Grower here and honestly I'm struggling a bit. I reached out to @InTheShed and he suggested to post here for some assistance!

I'm growing in 5fal fabric pots in a 3x3 tent in Promix hp with GH nutrients flora, bloom, micro just added Cali magic and supplementing with AH B52. Used Mycos during planting and repot. I am experiencing very slow growth at 30 days my plants are still at the 4th node hovering around 4 to 6" and have been repotted in the 5gal pots for 2 weeks now. Using tap water at 6.5ph and feeding most waterings roughly every 3 to 4 days. I was using cheap no name LEDs but upgraded to a Mars Hydro tsw2000 on Monday. I've also added two small fans to promote circulation and last night switched to 24/0 light schedule as my temp was dropping from 24ish to 16 celsius on 20/4. I will be giving a friend one plant this weekend and if required upgrading to a larger tent in hand if they ever decide to actually grow! Attached pics of plants around 30 days old and feeding schedule I've been using.

Problems
Twisted leaves (possibly from heat, had a space heater going at one point, no longer required due to high heat output of new light)
Clawing leaf tips (possible nutrient toxicity but light green colour suggests otherwise)
Crunchy dry leaves
Brittle stems - snapped one clean off and a few other split during light training and bending. Could be my inexperience though.
Sloooow growth!
New growth comes in very feeble and wispy especially on the sativa dominant blue dream plant.
Better lights should help, but low temps, wet pots that are too large, lack of fans and light and ca/Mg.

OHHHHH, you said you ph your water to 6.5. Do you do this then add nutes? Cause your ph will then change after adding nutes. Also, ph pens need calibrating.

Plants just look like you need to get ph, airflow and light dialed in.

Also, pick up your pots, if their all 5g in soil, they should weigh about the same right? Some strains can curl leaves with watering...I have a pair that do this everytime I move or water or they get dry. Are these photos all the same strain?

That might have been checking a Hygrometers accuracy, if I'm remembering right.

"The most reliable way to calibrate a hygrometer is the salt test. A cap (like from a gatorade bottle) filled with table salt. Add distilled water until just before it pours over and put that in a zip lock bag with the hygrometer overnight. It should be 75% in the morning.
Hey thanks farside, you are exactly right... that's what I get for not thinking for just a few moments before I ask a question.
What farside (on the overnight shift!) said :). The salt test is for hygrometers. When I actually used a pH meter I bought calibrating solution from Amazon.
Hey thanks Shed. Argh, oh well thank you all for putting up with me.... You all are the best around... Grow my friends grow.

Problems
Crunchy dry leaves
Sloooow growth!
Howdy DC! Don't sweat the pH of the nutes in ProMix. Did the shift in the plant health change with the new light? If any did, which problems are new with the light and which predate the change?

I'm with nobody on making sure you have good watering practices, as wet substrate will prevent the plant from taking up the nutes it needs. Also, cooler temps will slow growth.

oh well thank you all for putting up with me.
Not at all oops! You ask, we answer. :Namaste:
I use my oil from solid fridge state?! Should this affect its potency?
Your oil is a semi-solid anyway, so there's nothing settling out. The potency is the same either way. I bring mine to room temp so I can mix the sediment back in before I use it. It won't recombine when it's cold.

Also, pick up your pots, if their all 5g in soil, they should weigh about the same right? Some strains can curl leaves with watering...I have a pair that do this everytime I move or water or they get dry. Are these photos all the same strain?
I'm with nobody on making sure you have good watering practices, as wet substrate will prevent the plant from taking up the nutes it needs. Also, cooler temps will slow growth.

I thought the same thing. In pots that big, they can't use water every 3-4 days.

Problems
Crunchy dry leaves
Sloooow growth!
Question, are these autos is that why you are on 24/0?

If no my humble suggestions are to put that TSW2000 to 14 inches and dim the drivers all the way down and get to a 18/6 light scheadule.

Your temps are the same temps i get from being in a tent thats in a Canadian basement. Once your light is turned down, I doubt you will see temps higher than 20 degrees. Whatever temp high you stabilze at, find a Vapor pressure deficit humidity number you can easily slide into. In order to do this you need ventilation and the AC Infinity fans are incredible at providing you with a method of staying in a temp and a relative humidity.

Ease off on the watering and let them go to a complete dry to wet cycle...when the leaves point down they are pointing at their roots.

Perhaps you are locked out...It doesnt sound like you should be but crunchy leaves, twisted leaves, wispy slow growth are all things i experienced the same as you. I was ph locking out and I fixed it by switching to Peat based medium and Mega Crop nutes.

I am as inexperienced as you, maybe even more so. I have had a few "aha" moments. You will find yours too.

Howdy DC! Don't sweat the pH of the nutes in ProMix. Did the shift in the plant health change with the new light? If any did, which problems are new with the light and which predate the change?

Not at all oops! You ask, we answer. :Namaste:

Your oil is a semi-solid anyway, so there's nothing settling out. The potency is the same either way. I bring mine to room temp so I can mix the sediment back in before I use it. It won't recombine when it's cold.

I am definitely riding the learning curve on proper watering and have succumbed to my anxiety by watering a little extra to try to get the plant growing. I filled an empty 5g with same medium so I can compare weight of dry using the lift technique. I let them dry out to the point of slight wilt when I first transplanted but since then have likely been watering a tad much trying to shove some Calmag in there lol

3 strains - blue dream, hash plant and a local strain called Torontonian cookies.

All of these problems have been ongoing and accumulating prior to the light change I'm hoping it is actually a trigger to fix them.

Question, are these autos is that why you are on 24/0?

If no my humble suggestions are to put that TSW2000 to 14 inches and dim the drivers all the way down and get to a 18/6 light scheadule.

Your temps are the same temps i get from being in a tent thats in a Canadian basement. Once your light is turned down, I doubt you will see temps higher than 20 degrees. Whatever temp high you stabilze at, find a Vapor pressure deficit humidity number you can easily slide into. In order to do this you need ventilation and the AC Infinity fans are incredible at providing you with a method of staying in a temp and a relative humidity.

Ease off on the watering and let them go to a complete dry to wet cycle...when the leaves point down they are pointing at their roots.

Perhaps you are locked out...It doesnt sound like you should be but crunchy leaves, twisted leaves, wispy slow growth are all things i experienced the same as you. I was ph locking out and I fixed it by switching to Peat based medium and Mega Crop nutes.

I am as inexperienced as you, maybe even more so. I have had a few "aha" moments. You will find yours too.

I just switched to 24/0 last night and it wasn't to lower temps it was to keep them from going down to 16 celsius during lights out. I know low temps can slow growth so I wanted to eliminate that factor. I'm also hesitant to lower the light and turn it down. The plants are so short and compact as it is I could actually use a little stretch. I currently have it at 22 to 24" from the canopy at full strength.

I am definitely riding the learning curve on proper watering and have succumbed to my anxiety by watering a little extra to try to get the plant growing. I filled an empty 5g with same medium so I can compare weight of dry using the lift technique. I let them dry out to the point of slight wilt when I first transplanted but since then have likely been watering a tad much trying to shove some Calmag in there lol

3 strains - blue dream, hash plant and a local strain called Torontonian cookies.

All of these problems have been ongoing and accumulating prior to the light change I'm hoping it is actually a trigger to fix them.

I just switched to 24/0 last night and it wasn't to lower temps it was to keep them from going down to 16 celsius during lights out. I know low temps can slow growth so I wanted to eliminate that factor. I'm also hesitant to lower the light and turn it down. The plants are so short and compact as it is I could actually use a little stretch. I currently have it at 22 to 24" from the canopy at full strength.
I use my lights in the winter to generate heat so I hear ya on that! 24/0 is fine in veg if you need it for heat, as long as you don't run them too close and stress the leaves out.

I'm tempted to say run a plain water flush through them to start over, but I'm concerned about how long it takes them to dry. Where are you in the feeding schedule in terms of amounts? N toxicity can lockout potassium, but calimagic is pretty low there. Why the B52 (other than great band!)?

Are the pots are off the floor on wire racks or open-bottom plant holders? Air circulation to promote even drying is important as well as getting them off the cold floor.

They all seem to be doing different things which makes a diagnosis more difficult.

Some pics are showing N toxicity, others are showing Ca def. The others I can't tell if that's natural color or from the Mars light. Pics with the lights off or out of the tent will help.

1573259207634.png

1573259562888.png

If I was to guess your nutes(ratios) are probably way off which is why you are seeing different issues. I know Shed has lots of experience with Promix and not having to pH his water, but I'm curious as to what the pH is after your nutes are all mixed up.

Ph is 6.5 after nutrients added sorry should've been clear there.

I go down to that too every night, Im not suffering and theres not a lot of photosynthesis happening at night. If anything it will bring out whatever funky colors your strain has locked away. If you want to warm your tent up, by all means run it full strength. The Baroness has high expectations for me to keep the bills down, The Baron abides.

Ph is 6.5 after nutrients added sorry should've been clear there.
That pH should be fine for ProMix. I'm wondering if a flush and reset might be the best approach. Run 10 gallons of plain non-pH'd water through each pot, and follow that with a gallon of nutes at Early Growth strength. Leave off the B52s but leave in the calimagic. Keep the at least one fan oscillating at ground level and make sure the pots are off the floor.

Let's see if that makes a difference!
theres not a lot of photosynthesis happeining at night
No photosynthesis is happening in the dark, but as long as you are giving your plants light, they're growing. Cannabis does not require a dark period to grow, only to flower.

I use my lights in the winter to generate heat so I hear ya on that! 24/0 is fine in veg if you need it for heat, as long as you don't run them too close and stress the leaves out.

I'm tempted to say run a plain water flush through them to start over, but I'm concerned about how long it takes them to dry. Where are you in the feeding schedule in terms of amounts? N toxicity can lockout potassium, but calimagic is pretty low there. Why the B52 (other than great band!)?

Are the pots are off the floor on wire racks or open-bottom plant holders? Air circulation to promote even drying is important as well as getting them off the cold floor.

They all seem to be doing different things which makes a diagnosis more difficult.

Plants are on resin shelving racks above Rubbermaid tote lids upsides down. I shimmed the tote lids up to slope towards the door so I can shopvac the runoff out so no issues there.

I might do the flush thing this weekend once they dry out a bit. 10g of water per pot? So can I just run them under the bathtub or sink lmao? I'm currently watering with a 2L brita jug without the filter so it takes me awhile just to dish out a gallon or two!

I'm feeding at the early growth dosage in the attached pic in my earlier post per gallon:

2ml micro
2.5ml grow
. 5ml bloom
2.5ml Calmag (only twice so far)
2ish ml B52

2L brita jug without the filter so it takes me awhile just to dish out a gallon or two!
Save the money on the Brita and feed them with tap water. Unless you're on untested well water, if you drink it it's okay for your plants. The standard flush is 3x the pot size but I don't think that's needed. I'm not even sure a flush is needed but sometimes it's easier to start with a blank slate.

I would go between the Early and Late veg, and go with the full recommended dose on the calimagic. When I used cal-mag+ it was 5ml/gallon. Leave off the B52 for now.

Have you considered MegaCrop? You can even get a free sample to try it out. All the cool kids are using it, including me :cheesygrinsmiley:

Save the money on the Brita and feed them with tap water. Unless you're on untested well water, if you drink it it's okay for your plants. The standard flush is 3x the pot size but I don't think that's needed. I'm not even sure a flush is needed but sometimes it's easier to start with a blank slate.

I would go between the Early and Late veg, and go with the full recommended dose on the calimagic. When I used cal-mag+ it was 5ml/gallon. Leave off the B52 for now.

Have you considered MegaCrop? You can even get a free sample to try it out. All the cool kids are using it, including me :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't use the filter I took the top off I just use the jug for watering minus filter so it's straight tap water. It slows me down when watering as it only holds 2L and has worked so far. Thinking about getting a 5g jug and running a line and a couple valves for convenience though.

Thanks for the advice though I will flush this weekend for a fresh start, and drop the b52, increase the Calmag. Explosive growth is around the corner haha! Like I said in my journal it was so much easier this summer when I tossed a couple clones in the ground and next thing I know a couple months later buds are growing left right and center lol!

Oh and yes I've been following the mega crop buzz and the thread here and really love the simplicity of it. But for right now I have full jugs of the GH line and thhe cheap Scotsman in me cannot let it all go to waste!

Just reading over and also noticed @InTheShed asking why the b52. Local hydro shop guy said it's good for alleviating plant stress and since I've seemed to have ongoing issues throughout I've always figured they could use a little stress relief. Funny that's why I'm growing them.. To smoke them to relieve stress lol! But nah your likely on to something I forget exact ratio but it may be part of throwing my system out of wack as it isn't part of the GH line..

Since it's veg, lets dry em out first, but yeah that is what I see...super wet feet in to large pot is a mess.

Also, our rh shifts here pretty well indoors, sometimes its like 68 and two days later it's 20 or vice versa this 'in between' seasons time of year. This changes how much I water. I know you get the same at different times of the year.

I've never used megacrop. I use Botanicare mostly and some of the roots organic lines, and FF still in veg.

what is b52 ingredient and ratio?

Back
Top Bottom