InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Highya ITS,

I have to agree with Dr Hook. I asked someone who knew what it looked like, so I went and looked. Funny thing is, it grows wild here on sides of roads and driveways. I think part of the reason, they like sandy soil, and we sand the roads every year, four times or more.

...I've started using horsetail ACT's as a supplemental source of silica(just last year), as per bob's recommendations...cheerz... :high-five: :Namaste:...h00k...
I cut the horsetails, chop, mix with brown sugar (to feed the microbes), leave on counter for 3 weeks (stiring/shaking) and strain. Use like a Tbsp/gal I think is the recommendation. Happy Smokin'

Yesterday the 30th April the Swedes and most of northern Europe celebrate Valborg, it has its roots in Christianity and in the killing of women suspected of witchcraft were put on crosses in these fires. If they lived the process they were witches... :hmmmm:

Now days we use this feast to get rid of rubble.

Under the pandemic circumstances now the celebration with fires was postponed to next year.

ahah poor witches
in catholicism we have many big fires, the biggest in our area is the 16th of jenuary for san antonio..he is the protector of all the animals so you can bring your dog or your horse to take the blessing from the priest..after that you bring a piece of burned wood to your house for an year of good luck...weird traditions actually : D

@InTheShed
Did you look at Build a Soil Here in CO for your silica? They seem to have a couple different versions. I caught the tail end of the convo from a day or so back.
So damn difficult catching up on this thread when you’ve missed three days. Lol!

Been spending so much time trying to catch up on everyone else's journal I forgot about mine!
even (and especially) in those dark times i wish a good international workers day to all of you!
Thanks mumps! Workers of the world unite, in unions at least :).
Now days we use this feast to get rid of rubble.
So much for Sweden doing its part for climate change!
Let’s see...which has killed more - witches or christians? :straightface:
Heretic!
I have to agree with Dr Hook. I asked someone who knew what it looked like
A witch?
it grows wild here on sides of roads and driveways.
So...not witches then.
I cut the horsetails
Ahh...horsetails! Gotcha.
Use like a Tbsp/gal I think is the recommendation
Thanks Bode! I never see horsetails here except in people's gardens. Maybe I could ask a gardener if he would give me what they trim. :hmmmm:
he is the protector of all the animals so you can bring your dog or your horse to take the blessing from the priest..after that you bring a piece of burned wood to your house for an year of good luck...weird traditions actually
No weirder than a lot of religious traditions actually.
No we dont...
Just some ;) deadwood..:cheesygrinsmiley: we have around...
:ciao: AB! So nice to have you stop by, even if only bringing deadwood. :)
Did you look at Build a Soil Here in CO for your silica?
Another great recommendation. Put out a call for information and the site responds.
:circle-of-love:
Not that one...don't want anything but silica in my silica.
I wouldn’t have a mustache left...:straightface:
That might please the kissee even more ;).

For those who still believe you can flush nutrients from the buds before harvest, yet another article, summarizing a research paper linked below this one:

The link to the original research on the bottom of the page is broken. Here is the original research paper. The information on flushing starts on page 51, and the bar graph of the nutrient breakdown in the dried flower starts on page 71.

There was NO statistical difference in the nutrient levels in the buds after two weeks of flushing IN HYDRO! You read that correctly: in a 100% nutrient-free environment for two weeks before harvest, the dried buds had the same levels of N, S, P, K, Mg, and Ca as the buds that were fed.

So, let's review...you cannot flush nutes from your buds by feeding only water before harvest.

To be fair, the study did not find a statistically significant loss in mass or THC due to flushing, so @TheMadDabber's money-saving reason holds.

The upshot? Flush if you want to, but please stop telling people it's to rid the buds of the "nute taste."

Thanks for reading, and please don't argue the point if you don't have linked scientific studies that contradict these results. Now let's move on to other things.

Hi there Shed :passitleft:

I am close to harvest my plants and thinking about flushing them next week. I always tend lose my mind when my plants get into their last two weeks of bloom. I've always flushed my plants a few times between feedings to clear the rootzone because I veg. my plants at least for 7-8 weeks and want to get rid of these nutes before flowering. I also flush them on last week or at least 5-6 days.

I use flushing products like Flawless Finish from AN and lately, Florakleen from GH. From the information manufacturers provide, I understand that these are kinda similar products. I've been using Florakleen on my last three grows. Before that I've used Flawless Fin. for almost 7-8 years.

I just want to get your opinion on these products. They are claimed to have empty chelates that attach themselves to nutrient residue inside the plants and take around %80-85 of the residue out. I don't have complete knowledge about chelates but I know having minerals in chelated form makes things better but I don't know if empty chelates can clean your plants.

I've never grow a bad tasting bud in all these years and have no complaints at all. Maybe thats just good luck but I think its all about proper feeding, drying and curing. Maybe flushing products help but I am not sure. I never had to chance to compare same genetics flushed/not flushed.

Since I've started using Florakleen, I am just flushing for two days at the very end. GH claims that 2 days is enough for Florakleen to perform whereas AN suggests using Flawless Finish through last week. That's a bit confusing :laugh:

I don't think a two day flush can hurt your plants and I also think that there won't be any noticable difference on yield and quality. I am just going this way but not entirely on top of the situation. I will keep drying my buds slowly and cure them until they are finished.

Hi there Shed
Howdy TC, and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal! These are all great questions so let me try to answer them specifially.
I am close to harvest my plants and thinking about flushing them next week. I always tend lose my mind when my plants get into their last two weeks of bloom. I've always flushed my plants a few times between feedings to clear the rootzone because I veg. my plants at least for 7-8 weeks and want to get rid of these nutes before flowering. I also flush them on last week or at least 5-6 days.
First off, I want to distinguish between the two uses of the word "flushing." When I started my online research I read (as most of us have) that feeding a plant plain water would flush the excess nutes from the flowers before harvest, improving the taste. It would get rid of the dreaded "nute taste" and enable our buds to burn to white ash, apparently something unattainable without that step. Within a few months of starting a journal here, I was alerted to fact that that kind of flushing is bro-science, and that the truth is that it is scientifically impossible to remove nutrients from your flowers with water-only feeding at the end of the plant's life.

It also doesn't seem like a good idea to starve a plant just when it's gearing up for the final push before harvest.

The other kind of flushing is the kind done to clear the substrate of excess salts and ions that accumulate over a grow's-worth of using synthetic nutrients, all of which (including MegaCrop) are salt based. This kind of flushing can be effective when there is a buildup that is affecting the plant in a negative way. Many growers don't do it and produce lovely harvests. But when it's done, it's done all at once and followed immediately with full-strength nutes, so as not to leave the plant in a depleted substrate. Some folks do it with every grow about 3 weeks before harvest, to theoretically give the roots the best chance to absorb the nutes you're feeding them.

One word, two meanings. One myth, one real. Because of the confusion about the two meanings, I include which one I'm talking about in the first line of my sig.
Since I've started using Florakleen, I am just flushing for two days at the very end. GH claims that 2 days is enough for Florakleen to perform whereas AN suggests using Flawless Finish through last week. That's a bit confusing
I haven't tried any of those cleaning products but I have read that there is something in them that binds to the stuff you might want to clear from your medium, so they might work better than plain water. I would read up on the science of what's in them to decide if they work, rather than any anecdotal evidence found on a forum or the manufacturer's website. Or any other cannabis-friendly website, almost all of which just seem to be a compendium of anecdotal evidence pulled from forums across the web.

When I do feel the need to clear my ProMix HP, I use plain water from the hose. ProMix recommends a plain-water watering every fourth water actually. MegaCrop recommends the same thing, but wouldn't specify a time frame when asked!

When my PPM meter worked I would compare the first runoff to what was coming out later on and make a determination based on that when to stop. Now I just run a lot of water through the pot when I do it, which is rarely as I'm not seeing a difference before and after.
I don't think a two day flush can hurt your plants and I also think that there won't be any noticeable difference on yield and quality. I am just going this way but not entirely on top of the situation. I will keep drying my buds slowly and cure them until they are finished.
I'm sure two days of feeding plain water won't make a difference to a plant, but I certainly wouldn't spend any money on a product to use for that purpose.

I hope this helps give some clarity. If you have any more questions, fire away!

When I do feel the need to clear my ProMix HP, I use plain water from the hose. ProMix recommends a plain-water watering every fourth water actually. MegaCrop recommends the same thing, but woudn't specify a time frame when asked!
That's interesting I don't recall seeing that on there web site Mega Crop that is. I have found that watering to runoff 10 to 20% has been working for me with no flushing or plain watering I feed everytime.

Hey guys, I am not a nute user, but do have a background in chemistry and I also used to tie flies to sell Which may seem unrelated but give me a minute and you will see where I am going with this ;)

Any “salt” be it NaCl, KNO3, MgSO4 etc, is water soluble, and only requires plain water to remove it from your substrate. Water is the universal solvent and and this case, if the salt concentrations in the substrate are higher than the water you are using, the water will take it into solution until it become saturated.

OK, so now how this relates to fly tying and selling the flies.

When selling flies, you are hooking the fisherman, not the fish. An ugly fly will work as well and sometimes better than a pretty one, but you can only sell the pretty ones even if you know they will NOT catch fish.

Your nute manufacturers know you don’t need their “patented” flush products, but most will buy them as they don’t know any better. RO or distilled water will work just as well but may require greater volumes to do the job, but it’s also a hellava lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom