InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I think it’s this. I’ve had the same issue and both times it seemed like too much water and inconsistent soil.
Thanks Fudo! All three are in the same medium and watered the same way, which makes it unique to that one sprout. And Boo's got 8 sprouts all in the same conditions as each other, with one like this. Seems like just some anomaly.
either PH fluctuation problem, root rot or water drip.. Looks mirrored, like a bubble was sitting there. If that had a zero chance of happening, check your PH.
Thanks Mayne! Definitely not a water drip, and the pH is the same for all three (whatever it is). As long as the plant keeps growing and the second set looks good, I'm hoping it just grows out of it like Carcass and GDB mentioned.
water just the bottom, and let it wick up
Probably works in a heavier medium like soil, but the wicking action of fluffy media like ProMix HP isn't that strong.
SO if we water just the bottom, and let it wick up, so much better. PLUS, when we top water, the Nutes at the top, are going to be heavy impact on the roots below.
I'm not a bottom-water person, and I don't recommend it to others for soil or peat-based grows. It's not how plants are used to getting water, it doesn't pull oxygen down from the top into the substrate, and if you water to runoff there are no nutes at the top vs the bottom.
it's full of mayonnaise!
:high-five: as long as it's actually mayonnaise. ;)
I agree with Carcass. Weird stuff often happens to that first set of leaves, never to be seen again.
:thanks: That's the approach I think I'll take!

Tuesday update: cool with fluffy white clouds!

Remember I said I didn't have a lot of luck rooting the tops? Top at the bottom:

As long as that one Tin Can Kush took, I'm happy!

And let us have a gander at the Summer grow:

It's supposed to be a windy week, so I have them in a box as a wind-break (I stood the box up and put them in the bottom once the sun was high enough to clear the edge). But I also gave them some support. I gave the Jack Herer the most support as it's a really leggy plant. I can't wait to bury that deeper on transplant! :)

In other news, the Spring grow + seed Candida all got a Safer's Insect Killer spray/wash this morning, and I top-dressed the TCK with 5 fluid ounces of GeoFlora Veg this morning. I was a few days late, but I had done a smaller top dressing a week ago as part of the transplant transition.

I mixed it into the top inch and wet it down with the "mist" setting on the hose since it didn't need a full watering.

Hope your week is off to a good start, and remember to stay safe and kind out there. :peace:

I have them in a box as a wind-break
The little ones look happy and erect healthy!
I hope that box doesn't blow over and de-cup all 3 of the summer ladies... :oops:
I'd sit a brick in there with them just to be safe....

Done!
IMG_3476 Summer grow with stones.jpg

Hi Shed, Couple questions and couple comments. Do you use a rooting hormone for your clones? I was using a cheaper Garden safe rooting hormone powder (under $4 on amazon) with so so success. I ended up getting sucked into a series on YouTube that visited 5-10 professional grow operations and every time they got to the clone room he asked what rooting hormone they used and I think it was like 9/10 said Clonex Rooting Gel (also not saying they weren't somehow sponsored and not disclosing it). I had originally steered clear because it was $23, in my mind I questioned was it 6x's better? I of course have since ordered and have had 5/5 successful clones root, using a very similar process that you use (most recently I did successfully on two toppings which I know generally have a lower success rate as compared to lower branches). Not a large enough sample size to show causality or statistical significance but I'm not complaining :)

I'm late to your fast paced thread as always, but wanted to comment I'm a Premier Tech Horticulture fan. I've been growing with BX for a while, my friends father owns a greenhouse and he's been using BX for probably 30 years. My understanding is a lot of growers on here like the HP since it sheds water quicker and cannabis is not a fan of wet feet, but I thought the only or main difference was the perlite content. I know it's less convenient, but most garden centers by me sell perlite that you could mix into the BX.

Plants are looking A+ as always!

Plants are looking A+ as always!
Thanks Jerry!
Do you use a rooting hormone for your clones?
I do. I use Dip'n Grow as Clonex never did anything for me.
I think it was like 9/10 said Clonex Rooting Gel
I used to be 9/10 with Dip'n Grow but these days I'm slipping a bit!
I'm a Premier Tech Horticulture fan. I've been growing with BX for a while, my friends father owns a greenhouse and he's been using BX for probably 30 years. My understanding is a lot of growers on here like the HP since it sheds water quicker and cannabis is not a fan of wet feet, but I thought the only or main difference was the perlite content. I know it's less convenient, but most garden centers by me sell perlite that you could mix into the BX.
I've never seen BX out here, only HP. That's fine because I'm not big on the water retention of vermiculite, but now there is no HP to be found within 25 miles of me. In Los Angeles that could be two hours of driving, easy! So I'm going back to soil with a bunch of perlite added and I'll see how it goes. I've been in HP since August of 2018, so who knows!

Thanks Jerry!

I've never seen BX out here, only HP. That's fine because I'm not big on the water retention of vermiculite, but now there is no HP to be found within 25 miles of me. In Los Angeles that could be two hours of driving, easy! So I'm going back to soil with a bunch of perlite added and I'll see how it goes. I've been in HP since August of 2018, so who knows!

Thanks Jerry!

That's very interesting! Around here, BX is widely available and HP is much more niche. I incorrectly assumed you could just add some perlite to the BX that readily available by you haha! Probably like all the other random items you wouldn't think would have supply chain break downs, but do. In the middle of the pandemic I was searching like hell for yeast to make bread. I think part of the reason sour dough bread has taken off so much.

Any thoughts?
Yup.
I'd wait to see how the second set of leaves do- trying to fix her at this tender age might do more harm than good...just my 2 cents

I agree with Carcass. Weird stuff often happens to that first set of leaves, never to be seen again.
These guys know their stuff! The plant is too young to develop a deficiency. It's still sucking off the cotys as carcass mentioned.

Hot soil, perhaps, but the leaves would have melted at that stage. I think it's just a genetic thing. The pattern is almost identical on both sides, starting at the same spot. Deficiencies don't do that.

Sunshine Mix #4 is a good alternative to HP, if that is available, but I'm partial to using either, adding amendment's and calling it soil...cheerz... ...h00k......
I touched on Sunshine Mix here in response to a question by Tommyboy, but I'll save you the trouble of clicking the link!

"I haven't talked about Sunshine Mix #4 here, and I would never talk anyone out of using it when ProMix HP is not available. They're very comparable, with one of the differences (I have been told) being the type and quality of the mycorrhizae they use (though adding your own Dynomyco should solve that problem).

"I'm not switching to it for a couple of reasons, both personal and having nothing to do with how well it might work for me. The first is that the support I've gotten from my contact at ProMix has been invaluable, and I don't want to give my money to a competitor even if I can't give it to them. The second is that I'm trying to see if I can have good success using soil, as the effect that peat farming has on the climate seems to be up for debate. Until that's settled I thought I would go back to soil and see how I do."

Oh good! :nomo:
These guys know their stuff! The plant is too young to develop a deficiency. It's still sucking off the cotys as carcass mentioned.
Hot soil, perhaps, but the leaves would have melted at that stage. I think it's just a genetic thing. The pattern is almost identical on both sides, starting at the same spot. Deficiencies don't do that.
I didn't mean to indicate I had any intention of treating it as a deficiency, but I did wonder about burning. Excellent point about the symmetry though. Thanks MrS! I will pretend the spots don't exist and let that leggy thing go about its business. :slide:

I didn't mean to indicate I had any intention of treating it as a deficiency
Of course, and I didn't mean to indicate your indication of having any intention of treating it as a deficiency. Not even sure if that makes sense, but I knew you knew of it not being a def.

Thanks Carmen!
brilliant!
Brilliant!
oh no... how so, Shed?
Well, if you believe that climate change is real (some here may not believe in science except as it comes to growing), then there are articles out there like this one:
which states:
• Peatlands are the largest natural terrestrial carbon store; the area covered by near natural peatland worldwide (>3 million km2) sequesters 0.37 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) a year – storing more carbon than all other vegetation types in the world combined.
• Damaged peatlands are a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, annually releasing almost 6% of global anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Peatland restoration can therefore bring significant emissions reductions.
• Countries are encouraged to include peatland restoration in their commitments to global international agreements, including the Paris Agreement on climate change.

But the peat farmers say that they are replanting peat bogs to replace the peat they've harvested, so there's that.

I thought I would go back and give soil a try while I sort it out!

...I can appreciate that Shed...just putting it out there for peat growers......I know when I'm fishing, my rule of thumb is match the hatch, whether it's minnows or flies...if one was chasing landrace strains, it would make sense to try to match native soils to the strain, but given our penchant for hybrids/crosses, not always an easy task, so it can be hit and miss...without going down that rabbit hole of salts vs organic debate, I can say I'm more comfortable with going more organic than than any Monsato backed fert producers...although, aside from my horsetail ferns(for silica_). I am somewhat of a skeptic of legitimate organic products that I currently use(is the truth really out there!??)...bottom line is enjoy your grow in whatever medium you choose...stay safe...stay well...I'm kinda' high...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:

I am somewhat of a skeptic of legitimate organic products that I currently use(is the truth really out there!??)
If you're thinking that Monsanto has its hands in most synthetic nutes we use, then who's to say they're not into the "organics" biz as well? Most of the major oil players are investing in renewables now. :)
bottom line is enjoy your grow in whatever medium you choose
:high-five:
I have that same problem when I take them outside when they’re young; they want to reach for the sky. Looks like you’ve got it under control though.
At least we can't blame it on "the light is too far away. " :cheesygrinsmiley:
Rock on dude!
LOL!

Back
Top Bottom