InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I wish I knew what the cause is! I usually get yellowing of the lowers later in flower but I'm losing a lot through stretch on this one.

I am in soil and I'm trying different formulations of my nutes to see if that helps. Maybe the MC is too old or too wet in the bag and my measurements are off? I'll probably flush Sunday morning and reset with a new mix, replacing MC with Blue Planet Max A and B. I have a lot of choices to hit my targets.
Today Sunday? I'm not familiar with the products. What's generally in the nutes? I'm interested to know what you're adding to your soil. I hope it gets resolved by the flush.

Highya ITS,

And I encourage others to do the same before telling us such and such made a huge difference

With respect to your statement, most of what I read here is guesswork from bro science. It's fun to try different things hoping to make a positive impact. If I have been unclear, I apologize. I only explain what I read about and do. I don't mean to confuse anyone. Sometimes it's difficult to not see eye to eye with others, but we're still all a part of 420 magazine, all working toward the same purpose. Happy Smokin'

Today Sunday?
It's Sunday in California!
I'm not familiar with the products. What's generally in the nutes? I'm interested to know what you're adding to your soil. I hope it gets resolved by the flush.
The nutes are any mix of products I have on hand to come as close to my target numbers for NPK/Ca/Mg/S/Si as possible depending on the stage of life.

I've stopped including MC now in case it's messing up the calculations by being wet and clumpy, so now my mix is Blue Planet Max A and B along with ammonium sulfate, TPS calmag, and monosilicic acid.

I ran about 10 gallons of tap water through the pot (which I collected for my trees) and then poured in 2 gallons of nutes. As soon as the weather cools down I'll pull off all the yellow leaves and see if it stops or at least slows down.
It's fun to try different things hoping to make a positive impact.
100%. I'm trying new things all time! What's not fun is when someone tells people that their way is the best way without some scientific proof behind it. You've never done that. :)
If I have been unclear, I apologize. I only explain what I read about and do. I don't mean to confuse anyone.
Not unclear at all! The quote you pulled was not directed to you in the slightest. :thanks: for letting us in on your process Bode.
all working toward the same purpose.
We're all working toward the same purpose, but not everyone is using the best available info out there while claiming theirs is the way.

One example: there are still folks saying that feeding water-only for the last two weeks will clear the nute taste from the flowers!

I've stopped including MC now in case it's messing up the calculations by being wet and clumpy, so now my mix is Blue Planet Max A and B
I am not familiar with the products. How do you deliver the monosilicic acid because that one sounds like a good thing to add to the mix? I didn't realize you had to calculate target numbers for NPK/Ca/Mg/S/Si when growing in soil. I thought that was taken care of in the soil mix itself. How do you know what the baseline levels are in the soil itself?

I am not familiar with the products.
They could be any commercial products along with some elements to help correct the ratios. Like GDB is using MC and some magnesium nitrate to balance out some deficiencies.
How do you deliver the monosilicic acid because that one sounds like a good thing to add to the mix?
I use DutchPro when it's available from Amazon, but there are others out there. Stout MSA is another brand.

There are a few advantages to monosilicic acid over potassium silicate, the first being that it doesn't add any potassium which you may not need. It also is immediately available to the plant, where potassium silicate needs to be broken down by microbes first. It also doesn't precipitate out other nutrients when you add it.
I didn't realize you had to calculate target numbers for NPK/Ca/Mg/S/Si when growing in soil. I thought that was taken care of in the soil mix itself. How do you know what the baseline levels are in the soil itself?
I think you're conflating living organic soil (which is fortified with lots of added stuff to provide nutrition for the plant) with regular soil. Your soil is very different from what you would buy at your local garden center for plants.

I'm just using commercial potting soil (Fox Farms Happy Frog) which doesn't really contain anything in terms of nutrients for the plants. You then add synthetic nutes to feed them.

They could be any commercial products along with some elements to help correct the ratios. Like GDB is using MC and some magnesium nitrate to balance out some deficiencies.

I use DutchPro when it's available from Amazon, but there are others out there. Stout MSA is another brand.

There are a few advantages to monosilicic acid over potassium silicate, the first being that it doesn't add any potassium which you may not need. It also is immediately available to the plant, where potassium silicate needs to be broken down by microbes first. It also doesn't precipitate out other nutrients when you add it.

I think you're conflating living organic soil (which is fortified with lots of added stuff to provide nutrition for the plant) with regular soil. Your soil is very different from what you would buy at your local garden center for plants.

I'm just using commercial potting soil (Fox Farms Happy Frog) which doesn't really contain anything in terms of nutrients for the plants. You then add synthetic nutes to feed them.
I hunted for Monosilicic Acid here in RSA. This is what I found but it is not the same thing is it? It sounds like it does the same thing though? We don't have an Amazon here yet so shipping is insane if I want to import something.

I hunted for Monosilicic Acid here in RSA. This is what I found but it is not the same thing is it? It sounds like it does the same thing though? We don't have an Amazon here yet so shipping is insane if I want to import something.
I checked the company's website, and it says it's silicic acid. So it should be the same thing. They give a chemical formula too.
(Si(OH)4). I'm not sure what the formula of the products @InTheShed suggested would be?

They came out with a vaccine for Shingles in 2006 and another in 2017 (not sure which one I'm getting), and it's recommended for anyone over 50. I've been putting it off for years (14 to be exact), but a friend of mine from NY came out to stay with me last year and he suffers with Shingles. He said definitely get the shot, so I did.

:thanks:
I had it after working with contaminated oil for a few months was not fun especially when living in a motel lmao nice thing was I got the bed all to myself :cool:

I checked the company's website, and it says it's silicic acid. So it should be the same thing. They give a chemical formula too.
(Si(OH)4). I'm not sure what the formula of the products @InTheShed suggested would be?
Thank you Mel and Shed, is this something I could add to my liquid amendments?

Judging by the instructions for use, yes. It's meant to be added to nutes.

I was thinking what Mel was thinking, but in the instructions below it says the following:
"Silicic acid is formed by microbes when they release HCL."

That makes me think it's something silicate and not actually MSA. The labeling requirements in SA are obviously much looser than they are here!
I had it after working with contaminated oil for a few months was not fun especially when living in a motel lmao nice thing was I got the bed all to myself
Never heard of anyone getting shingles from oil but I'm glad you got your vaccine. Glad there was an upside to motel living though. :)
Judging by the instructions for use, yes. It's meant to be added to nutes.
What Mel said. And if you add it, add it first and mix well.

I was thinking what Mel was thinking, but in the instructions below it says the following:
"Silicic acid is formed by microbes when they release HCL."

That makes me think it's something silicate and not actually MSA. The labeling requirements in SA are obviously much looser than they are here!

Never heard of anyone getting shingles from oil but I'm glad you got your vaccine. Glad there was an upside to motel living though. :)

What Mel said. And if you add them, add them first and mix well.
Thank you sir was the only explanation and I didn’t get my shot still to young as far as I know but I also didn’t get the anti virals for it no benefits at the time they wanted $600 for the meds just said if it puts me in the hospital they can give them otherwise it’ll go away and it did but probably will come back been 12 years though.

One thing I learned about motel living was its awesome to smoke in bed until you fall asleep then it becomes scary and you use a chair like a normal non lazy human

Thank you sir was the only explanation and I didn’t get my shot still to young as far as I know but I also didn’t get the anti virals for it no benefits at the time they wanted $600 for the meds just said if it puts me in the hospital they can give them otherwise it’ll go away and it did but probably will come back been 12 years though.

One thing I learned about motel living was its awesome to smoke in bed until you fall asleep then it becomes scary and you use a chair like a normal non lazy human
I was more less thinking hookers and parties and stuff. Dam I'm bummed out now. .

Thank you for picking that up! Certainly in general our standards are much looser than most first world countries 😭 I'll chat to the soil guy and see if he knows of a better brand.

I don't think microbes come into play with Potassium Silicate. Potassium Silicate has been used for years in hydroponic setups with no microbes, and can be fed as a foliar spray.

Source Document for info below.

"Potassium silicate is the potassium salt of silicic acid, and, in formulation, is readily absorbed by the plant. Silicon comprises 32% of the Earth’s crust, and silicic acid salts (silicates) are the most common form of silicon. Consequently exposure to silicates is widespread in activities involving contact with soil and natural water. The other part of the chemical, potassium is a required element for survival of both plants and animals, as is silicon.​
Potassium silicate is an active ingredient to be used as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide.​
Potassium silicate will be used as a broad spectrum, preventative fungicide with optimum control obtained when used under a scheduled preventative spray program.​
Potassium silicate also provides suppression of mites, whiteflies, and other insects. It is approved for use on agricultural crops, fruits, nuts, vines, turf and ornamentals"​

That said, MSA is 100% bioavailable to the plant, whereas Potassium Silicate products are only 46.7%. Gram for gram, ml for ml, MSA may be more effective, but it also costs more in most cases. The biggest benefit I see in MSA is that it won't jack the hell out of your pH if you're running hydro or coco setups. Potassium Silicate aqueous solutions have a pH over 11 and it takes a lot of pH down to counter it. In soil or buffered mediums, I'd weigh the cost of the two options and purchase accordingly. Also to @InTheShed 's point, if you have a base Nute program that's already K heavy, you don't have to worry about the additional Potassium with MSA. Personally I use Potassium Silicate, but I've accounted for the lower bioavailability and the extra K in my elemental targets. I'm also in buffered soil-less where pH of my nutrient solution is not a concern. I'm a cheap ass and like the lower cost of Potassium Silicate.

Back
Top Bottom