InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Why do they burp better in turkey bags than jars, Shed?
It's not that they necessarily burp better in turkey bags (other than more surface area of the buds exposed) but because I can fit 3 full jar's worth of buds in one bag. Since my harvests tend to run about close to 9 jars when only 3/4 full for burping, it's a lot easier to burp 3 bags than 9 jars!
Yes, I'd be very interested to see your journal of the post-harvest stuff.
Turns out I never did an actual post on it, but you can see the turkey bags here. And this is my drying/burping/curing process:

I give my harvests air for the first 21 days after chop. Ideally that's 7 days hanging, 7 days of twice daily burping, and 7 days of once daily burping, though if they come off the lines early the entire process remains 21 days. Then I seal them for curing with Boveda 62s for at least another 3 weeks before anyone gets a taste!

Keep in mind that the burping process is not just to get the flowers down to 62% from wherever the RH was when they came off the stems, though I've seen a lot of folks do that. The 21 days is important to allow the chlorophyll to outgas after harvest. In a dry area the flowers might get down to 62% in a week, and if you seal them at that point there won't be any more fresh air getting in, making the cure much less successful.

Incorrect drying/burping/curing is often why folks think their buds are harsh when they smoke them, and blame "leftover nutes in the flowers at harvest" for that. Turns out they're just messing up the last step.
Well done draughting Shed! Sweet droop!
Thanks Otter! I don't think those two days are enough for the plant to generate a drought response though. Who really knows how this works outside!

Well done draughting Shed! Sweet droop!
I wondered if this was a droughting. When is the right time to begin droughting, Otter?
I give my harvests air for the first 21 days after chop. Ideally that's 7 days hanging, 7 days of twice daily burping, and 7 days of once daily burping, though if they come off the lines early the entire process remains 21 days. Then I seal them for curing with Boveda 62s for at least another 3 weeks before anyone gets a taste!
This is what I've been doing too.

Monday greetings all! Not much happening here and I'm not one to post daily updates on the same plants, but it's been a while so I thought I'd do an update on the Summer grow, flip day 55.

I've been giving them each a gallon/day pretty much all through flower, and I wanted to see what would happen if I waited for the pots to feel light again. So I watered on Friday afternoon and then skipped Saturday and Sunday.

I didn't do a measured leaf wilt angle (LWA) test, but I can tell you just from looking at them that they are beyond a 50% change in LWA and it hasn't even been that hot. So much for trying to reach 11 days outside!

Here is the Purple Urkle looking thirsty:

And one of the top flowers:

Here is the Trainwreck looking thirsty:

And one of its top flowers:

They each got 1.5 gallons this morning so I'll see how the recovery goes, and I'll get an idea of how quickly they're drinking in terms of harvest timing. Also, the heat is supposed to be ratcheting back up later this week, which should make them thirstier.

And interestingly enough, even though they're both in the early indoor harvest window (@Weed Seeds Express has the Trainwreck at 56 - 63 days and the Purple Urkle seems to be 55 - 60 days), I'm not tired of looking at them yet!

Thanks for coming by for a visit. :ciao:
love it bro good job very beautiful plants.

Keep in mind that the burping process is not just to get the flowers down to 62% from wherever the RH was when they came off the stems, though I've seen a lot of folks do that. The 21 days is important to allow the chlorophyll to outgas after harvest. In a dry area the flowers might get down to 62% in a week, and if you seal them at that point there won't be any more fresh air getting in, making the cure much less successful.

Incorrect drying/burping/curing is often why folks think their buds are harsh when they smoke them, and blame "leftover nutes in the flowers at harvest" for that. Turns out they're just messing up the last step.
Makes perfect sense.

Oh I just realized that today's news is on the previous page!

love it bro good job very beautiful plants.
Thanks marcus!
Makes perfect sense.
Oh good, I'm glad it was clear! I reread it a few times but sometimes there's more in my head than gets down to the keyboard. :)
Those sideways buds are always a good thing...as long as they fit through the shed door...
Thanks Carcass, the upper ones do, the lower ones on the Purple Urkle probably have no trichomes on their tops! Interestingly, the Trainwreck fits really well and doesn't even scrape the sides of the Oval of Brightness when I slide it to the back. PU is much more difficult to move at this point.

Highya ITS,

Lovely looking bud pis you shared! Very frosty and colorful!It looks like the drought might have caused more trichomes. I'm wondering what your opinion is? Because they're awfully frosty!! Happy Smokin'

Lookin good Shed! There is something about seeing beautiful buds in the lovely sunshine :love:

I can fit 3 full jar's worth of buds in one bag.
That’s exactly why I use turkey bags to burp the buds down, it’s a heck of a lot easier to air those buds out everyday for the first few weeks in a bag then having open a bunch of jars. I also find it easier in general to get everything to dry evenly in the bags and hey who doesn’t love running their hands through a big bag of buds!

Shed and Mr. S introduced me to the idea of using turkey bags and it’s one of the best things I’ve learned on this site!

It's not that they necessarily burp better in turkey bags (other than more surface area of the buds exposed) but because I can fit 3 full jar's worth of buds in one bag. Since my harvests tend to run about close to 9 jars when only 3/4 full for burping, it's a lot easier to burp 3 bags than 9 jars!

Turns out I never did an actual post on it, but you can see the turkey bags here. And this is my drying/burping/curing process:

Thanks Otter! I don't think those two days are enough for the plant to generate a drought response though. Who really knows how this works outside!
Really, you don't? I read the Kaplan paper and it appears to me that if the plant made the right amount of droop deflection that the plant would be experiencing the stress we came to apply and that's that. I think I stopped looking at this one as an experiment and just work it now. A blessing and a curse.😇👿:D

Lovely looking bud pis you shared! Very frosty and colorful!It looks like the drought might have caused more trichomes. I'm wondering what your opinion is? Because they're awfully frosty!! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! I wasn't really intending the lack of water to be a Caplan-style drought so I didn't do any before/after pics of a bud, but the TW has always been frostier than the PU and still seems to be.

At some point I plan on running clones to actually compare droughting results via lab test, but that keeps getting pushed back by life.
Lookin good Shed! There is something about seeing beautiful buds in the lovely sunshine
Thank you N! I wish my phone could deal with actual sunlight without blowing out the highlights, so I usually create my own shade for pics. ⛅
That’s exactly why I use turkey bags to burp the buds down, it’s a heck of a lot easier to air those buds out everyday for the first few weeks in a bag then having open a bunch of jars. I also find it easier in general to get everything to dry evenly in the bags and hey who doesn’t love running their hands through a big bag of buds!
Shed and Mr. S introduced me to the idea of using turkey bags and it’s one of the best things I’ve learned on this site!
I'm glad you gave it a shot and it works for you! I got the turkey bag thing from @Derbybud (Sue later pulled his various posts together here) so we're all paying it forward.

:circle-of-love:
Really, you don't? I read the Kaplan paper and it appears to me that if the plant made the right amount of droop deflection that the plant would be experiencing the stress we came to apply and that's that. I think I stopped looking at this one as an experiment and just work it now. A blessing and a curse.
Caplan did his research indoors in a controlled environment and most folks using it here are indoors as well. Even outside growers tend to live in a place where it might rain during the summer or they're in the ground with completely different access to water from those in pots. Outside in pots in SoCal, where the LWA can look like 11 days in only 2, it might not be anywhere near enough time for the plant to go through the entire adaption process. At least that's my thinking!

That's why I really wanted to test clones and see.
Plants are looking great, Shed!
Thanks BL!
Neither are we!
Aww, that's sweet! Though I see them more often than you do, which is why friendships often last longer than marriages. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Shed!
Hmm.... 1503 pages.... I don't think I'll be catching up any time soon!
May I just kind of watch, listen, and learn?
Thanks.

Ok, I'm officially here then.
Thanks!

:nerd-with-glasses: :hookah:

At some point I plan on running clones to actually compare droughting results via lab test, but that keeps getting pushed back by life.
This would be an excellent experiment. I'm still a "droughting" skeptic and all the results I've seen people claim, seem to be anecdotal. :popcorn:

This would be an excellent experiment. I'm still a "droughting" skeptic and all the results I've seen people claim, seem to be anecdotal. :popcorn:
Maritimer, Krissi, and a few others swear by it. I wouldn’t try it outdoors but in a controlled environment I might give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom