InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

If I could get that Kellogg Patio Mix here and at that price I would by it. I’m using SunGro Black Gold Natual & Organic potting mix. It cost $15 for 1.5 cu. ft. The Kellogg stuff is a way better deal.

Also, have you considered mixing some DE in while you’re mixing in the perlite? Not only does it work as a mechanical insecticide, it also is a good source of plant available silica.

Yay for the Chiquita Banana- Better late than never!
Phewf! Here's to bourbon boron.
Is adding MC all you did for the boron problem?
That was a fast fix...good ol' MC...You probably already know this, but BPN's "Easy Weed" contains .05% boron (.03% more than MCv3)- but it also contains 18% potassium, so 1% more than MC.
Not that you're ever gonna see another boron deficiency- seems like it's a rare thing...

If I could get that Kellogg Patio Mix here and at that price I would by it. I’m using SunGro Black Gold Natual & Organic potting mix. It cost $15 for 1.5 cu. ft. The Kellogg stuff is a way better deal.

Also, have you considered mixing some DE in while you’re mixing in the perlite? Not only does it work as a mechanical insecticide, it also is a good source of plant available silica.
Thanks BigD! I have two thoughts on the DE. The first is that I'm pretty sure it has no negative effects on insects when wet, which is how it usually is when mixed in. It needs to be dry for the sharp edges to slice and dice the bugs.

And last year I mixed DE into my nutes for a few months in an attempt to add silica to the plants and did not notice any effect on them, other than making the rootballs really dusty when I tried to break them down a few months after harvest. It certainly didn't make them resistant to PM, but then neither does adding monosilicic acid it seems! :(

Yay for the Chiquita Banana- Better late than never!
Thanks Carcass!
Is adding MC all you did for the boron problem?
That was a fast fix...good ol' MC...You probably already know this, but BPN's "Easy Weed" contains .05% boron (.03% more than MCv3)- but it also contains 18% potassium, so 1% more than MC.
Not that you're ever gonna see another boron deficiency- seems like it's a rare thing...
Adding MC is all I did. I haven't looked at the Easy Weed back label because when I saw it was 1-2-18 I put it on a back shelf!

I’ve heard that. I know the guy from KiS Organics said on his podcast that he likes 20% compost/castings, something like 32-34% perlite & the rest peat as his basic mix. Probably can’t go wrong with either.
Yeah folks have differences. I was wondering about comparing it with the bag's contents if possible at the time.

I haven't looked at the Easy Weed back label
Since I'm using GF Veg nutes on my flowering Kalashnikov, I'm adding it to the water, mainly for the Potassium.
One little scoop of that stuff will turn your water black- real black, like squid ink black...don't spill it on the rug!

I get Sunshine mix #4 at Home Depot, do they carry it where you are? That’s pretty close to Pro Mix right? And if you already answered this question somewhere, my apologies for falling behind in your journal again LOL

I get Sunshine mix #4 at Home Depot, do they carry it where you are? That’s pretty close to Pro Mix right? And if you already answered this question somewhere, my apologies for falling behind in your journal again LOL
I haven't talked about Sunshine Mix #4 here, and I would never talk anyone out of using it when ProMix HP is not available. They're very comparable, with one of the differences (I have been told) being the type and quality of the mycorrhizae they use (though adding your own Dynomyco should solve that problem).

I'm not switching to it for a couple of reasons, both personal and having nothing to do with how well it might work for me. The first is that the support I've gotten from my contact at ProMix has been invaluable, and I don't want to give my money to a competitor even if I can't give it to them. The second is that I'm trying to see if I can have good success using soil, as the effect that peat farming has on the climate seems to be up for debate. Until that's settled I thought I would go back to soil and see how I do.

Hi Shed, all!:passitleft:A happy belated 420 to you all! I was, how should we say....indisposed. Hahahaha! I was just planting a couple Purple Punch in the greenhouse and wondering what you guys would think of my "low budget soil": Kellogs patio mix! I hope everyone is healthy and happy. Smile and stay stoneder
Happy Earth Day!
ron-cobbs-1969-ecology-symbol-1.png

Since I'm using GF Veg nutes on my flowering Kalashnikov, I'm adding it to the water, mainly for the Potassium.
One little scoop of that stuff will turn your water black- real black, like squid ink black...don't spill it on the rug!
If I go that route it's surely a bit fresher than the 12.5 gallons of Terpinator I've left in jugs outside for the last three years. But that's a lot more K, so make sure you're using it sparingly (though with your experience I have no doubt). :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hi Shed, all!A happy belated 420 to you all! I was, how should we say....indisposed. Hahahaha! I was just planting a couple Purple Punch in the greenhouse and wondering what you guys would think of my "low budget soil": Kellogs patio mix! I hope everyone is healthy and happy. Smile and stay stoneder
Happy Earth Day!
Thanks Fred, and a happy Earth Day to you too! I'm sure I have a button with that logo on it back at my childhood apartment in NY from the first Earth Day back in 1970. And now we could be Patio Plus buddies! :high-five:

I just ran the GF Veg in the hydrobuddy software (no idea if it works with organics, but I used the label for inputs like I would with synthetic nutes). When I try to hit the equivalent of MC 5.5g/gallon nitrogen numbers, I would be dissolving (and yes...I know GF doesn't work this way!) 10.5g of GF Veg along with 1.5g of Easy Weed/gallon.

Maybe a touch of epsom salts to get the Mg up as well (.6g/gallon).

That puts the ratio around 5 - 1.4 - 5.4 if it works that way (5-1-5 is the ratio I've been shooting for lately along with specific K/Ca/Mg ratios, per MrS). Perhaps @MrSauga could offer any words of advice here when he has a chance.

Maybe a touch of epsom salts to get the Mg up as well (.6g/gallon).
I also added 1.5g of BPN's CalMag (5.5%Mg) along with .5g Easy Weed...probably not enough of either one, but
from experience( :oops: ) I know not to go very heavy on the potassium.
I added the CalMag mainly for a little nitrogen kick...(8-0-0)
I'm not going to try anything else- I don't want to kill the plant with my attempts at greening her up:)

hanks MrS! A 16qt bag at HD costs $10.30, and Google tells me that 16qts is .5 cuft, so 1.5cuft would cost me $30.90, or nearly 5x the price of the Kelloggs. Can't be worth 5x more, can it?
No, save your money! I haven't done the calculations yet, but in Canada I get 25L for $9.50.
That puts the ratio around 5 - 1.4 - 5.4 if it works that way (5-1-5 is the ratio I've been shooting for lately along with specific K/Ca/Mg ratios, per MrS). Perhaps @MrSauga could offer any words of advice here when he has a chance.
I can't say for sure. It sounds to me that GF is a dry amendment, and takes time to activate, or get going so to speak. I would almost classify it as a time released fert, since really this is what is being done. Over time the ferts start to buildup in the soil where the plant can enjoy it's life. It struggles from what I've seen with several grows to get where you need to be, but in the end it looks like it produces good results.

I'm not sure you can use the calculator in the same way. What you are doing by mixing it into a liquid form is diluting it, and although the numbers may be correct, would the plant react the same way as if it were given as a dry amendment?

Hi Mr. Shed. :ciao: This is gonna sound really weird (and I’m not high)....I was wondering if dissolved Epsom salts would be helpful when I am having the Mg issue during flower with MC, but I don’t know the formula. But was I was really wondering is, could we just take the vitamins from the store (Like calcium, magnesium, boron, etc) and just dissolve those suckers to use for nutes? :oops:

No, save your money! I haven't done the calculations yet, but in Canada I get 25L for $9.50.
Thanks! Will do.
It sounds to me that GF is a dry amendment, and takes time to activate, or get going so to speak. I would almost classify it as a time released fert, since really this is what is being done. Over time the ferts start to buildup in the soil where the plant can enjoy it's life. It struggles from what I've seen with several grows to get where you need to be, but in the end it looks like it produces good results.
It is exactly that: a dry fertilizer that dissolves over the course of two weeks and then you top dress with more. Seems to take a bit longer than we like for the plants to start enjoying life, but most of them (mine might be the exception) seem to eventually.
I'm not sure you can use the calculator in the same way. What you are doing by mixing it into a liquid form is diluting it, and although the numbers may be correct, would the plant react the same way as if it were given a dry amendment?
Well, the discussion is really about whether to switch from their 5-3-4 Veg to their 3-5-5 Bloom, or would it be better to stick to the Veg and add a potassium booster (like Terp or the BP Easy Weed) for those who like to boost the K in flower.

Are you thinking the plant would stop taking up the GF nutes when fed with synthetics, rather than them acting like a regular supplement? Personally I was thinking I might just run the Veg through flower if I go with GF all the way.
Hi Mr. Shed. :ciao: This is gonna sound really weird (and I’m not high)....I was wondering if dissolved Epsom salts would be helpful when I am having the Mg issue during flower with MC, but I don’t know the formula. But was I was really wondering is, could we just take the vitamins from the store (Like calcium, magnesium, boron, etc) and just dissolve those suckers to use for nutes? :oops:
I have no idea, but traditionally, nutrients for human consumption are much more expensive than those for plants.

And yes, dissolving epsom salts into your nutes will boost the magnesium and the sulfur. The standard measure is 1Tbs/gallon, but that's not how I use it. I do actual calculations in the hydrobuddy to figure out how much to add.

Well, the discussion is really about whether to switch from their 5-3-4 Veg to their 3-5-5 Bloom, or would it be better to stick to the Veg and add a potassium booster (like Terp or the BP Easy Weed) for those who like to boost the K in flower.
Oh. I didn't pick up on that part. In that case I wouldn't know. I really know nothing about GF. Adding P does nothing, as we know. So logically I would continue to use the veg and feed a K supplement.
Are you thinking the plant would stop taking up the GF nutes when fed with synthetics, rather than them acting like a regular supplement? Personally I was thinking I might just run the Veg through flower if I go with GF all the way.
No, not at all. I was thinking if you mixed the GF into a liquid form, would you get all the benefits from it, as opposed to just running it as a dry amendment?

So logically I would continue to use the veg and feed a K supplement.
It's nice when our logics agree! :thumb:
I was thinking if you mixed the GF into a liquid form, would you get all the benefits from it, as opposed to just running it as a dry amendment?
Oh no, sorry! I was just trying to get GF numbers into hydrobuddy somehow, so I had to pretend it was a dry soluble nutrient. I never had any thought of trying to dissolve it in water. They actually say it's not suitable for hydro as it won't dissolve readily.

Hi Shed.

I have a question. This whole nute discussion baffles me as I have no idea what my plants need and/or get. However, that's not what my question is about. You refer to "hydrobuddy" software a lot. What is it? Hydrobuddy sounds like something you would use for hempy grows. :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom