InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

1634391994333.png

I suggest running it on the lowest setting.

Thanks MeS! But are they a sponsor? Might have to take that pic down!

There seems to be some misunderstanding around here about what is and what is not allowed to be posted here, so I'll "Shed" some light on the subject for ya.

We don't care if you post pics of a fan or most grow supplies really, unless it gets promotional like it got with MC. It's not fair for other nutrient sponsors to have to pay to advertise, when MC was getting free advertising tenfold here, as it was getting way beyond promotional. This community was built to fight back against government lies and help growers learn to grow their own medicine, however we're stuck dealing with major challenges keeping everyone happy and revenue flowing in to keep the lights on here for you. We have a dilemma when someone constantly recommends the same thing with links and pics over and over again, because that crosses the line from reference, into promotional. The real problem is mostly segregated to seeds and LED lights, because those are the two most likely types of dealers who create fake accounts pretending to be members, only here to promote their products without having to pay to advertise. This is why we don't allow photos or links to non sponsored seed banks or LED sellers specifically. This guideline does not apply to any other grow supplies, unless it's on Amazon or due to a conflict of interest for some reason. Those are always on a case by case basis, sometimes having to do with either faulty products they sell or maybe a sponsor gone rogue in the past by taking advantage of us and our members. Thirty years uncovers a LOT of dirt, and it's impossible to get everyone on the same page all of the time.

I'm probably missing some key points here, so I'll ask @Renee Roberts or @Teddy Edwards to post the actual advisory language, so we can put this misunderstanding to rest, once and for all.

There seems to be some misunderstanding around here about what is and what is not allowed to be posted here, so I'll "Shed" some light on the subject for ya.

We don't care if you post pics of a fan or most grow supplies really, unless it gets promotional like it got with MC. It's not fair for other nutrient sponsors to have to pay to advertise, when MC was getting free advertising tenfold here, as it was getting way beyond promotional. This community was built to fight back against government lies and help growers learn to grow their own medicine, however we're stuck dealing with major challenges keeping everyone happy and revenue flowing in to keep the lights on here for you. We have a dilemma when someone constantly recommends the same thing with links and pics over and over again, because that crosses the line from reference, into promotional. The real problem is mostly segregated to seeds and LED lights, because those are the two most likely types of dealers who create fake accounts pretending to be members, only here to promote their products without having to pay to advertise. This is why we don't allow photos or links to non sponsored seed banks or LED sellers specifically. This guideline does not apply to any other grow supplies, unless it's on Amazon or due to a conflict of interest for some reason. Those are always on a case by case basis, sometimes having to do with either faulty products they sell or maybe a sponsor gone rogue in the past by taking advantage of us and our members. Thirty years uncovers a LOT of dirt, and it's impossible to get everyone on the same page all of the time.

I'm probably missing some key points here, so I'll ask @Renee Roberts or @Teddy Edwards to post the actual advisory language, so we can put this misunderstanding to rest, once and for all.
Thank you for updating us on this. I can't speak for everyone but I've definitely been wary when posting links/pics of products like nutrients or equipment I'm using. This makes it alot easier to understand.

Yes I am with another week waiting , looks like you have plenty but not that many turned and with the weather cooling in my experience they slow down there growth. Plants look really good shed and without a hiccup. when the time is right would you bee interested in trying to grow and seed out some 1993 Afghani seeds i have from that time period ? It was some very strong Indica at the time . Can say of it origin other than what i know as told .
A week's wait it is sb! And I'd give an Afghani a shot next year, as the indica jars slowly start to empty (not a huge indica family here). I think that at specific strength gibberellic acid works helps to germinate old seeds too.
I’ve never used an emoji in one of my posts here until now. Well in the like department but yea.
MrSauga will do that to ya!
We don't care if you post pics of a fan or most grow supplies really
Thanks for posting that info Rob. It's always good to make sure the newer members understand the ins and outs of posting.

No pics, all thoughts...most of it pretty deep in the weeds. But if you use ProMix or another peat-based substrate, it's worth reading. I also want to tag in @MrSauga, @farside05, and @FelipeBlu to make sure they stop by.

Many of you know
My tale of woe
That begins to show
When the leaves yel-low.

Okay, enough of that. I want to talk about the issue I have of the rising pH of my ProMix HP that seems to affect my grows as I get into flower. My switch from Dr Earth soil to ProMix happened about the same time I went from FF trio to MC (early in 2018). And looking back on it this is where I probably began having a pH that was out of range by the end of flower. No matter what I did I would be losing lower leaves and seeing deficiencies I shouldn't have been having.

Some of that might be related to some of the odd ratios that MC v2 used (high Ca and K), but I have to think that the pH of the ProMix played a role as well. I didn't start checking substrate pH until later on in my growing.

[I hope you've read the first post in my thread about not having to pH our nutrient solutions in a buffered medium because I don't want to re-cover that ground here. If you haven't read it and you're interested, just read the opening post here. We'll wait for you...]

So what is it about MC that doesn't seem to play well with ProMix, as I am not the only one to have had this issue. I've helped out other growers here correct their pH after a slurry test would show it was too high. So I decided to have a conversation about it with my contact at Premier Tech Horticulture, the manufacturer or ProMix.

I asked him why the pH of my medium seems to move out of range so quickly, where people using MC in soil don't seem to have that problem. This was his reply:

[Note: when he says "growing media" he's referring to peat-based like ProMix. Also, edited for clarity.]

"For...soil, the buffer and CEC is much greater than formulated growing media, therefore swings in pH and nutrition are less. Since...soil is highly buffered (depending on its source), it is also more resistance to change. That said, growing media allows growers to manipulate nutrition and pH for plants needs much easier. Managing the fertilizer with the alkalinity of your water is the key to achieving the ideal pH."

This means that soil is less sensitive to both the nitrogen source in the fertilizer (nitrate or ammoniacal), as well as the alkaline content of the water used. But the advantage to "growing media" is that it "allows growers to manipulate nutrition and pH for plants needs much easier." It will respond more quickly to changes you make in response to the plant's needs.

And his recommendation was to use two different types of nutrients in a rotation: two waterings with one higher in ammoniacal nitrogen (like the GrowMore Orchid stuff I use to bring down pH when it gets too high), followed by one watering with a fertilizer high in nitrate nitrogen, like MC. And to continue to monitor slurry pH to make sure it's staying in the correct range (5.5-6.2). He didn't think there was a single blend of the two N types that would work at all strengths.

Now, why would this affect me more than a lot of other growers using MC and "growing media"? Because, as farside mentioned, he and many tent growers are usually harvested by the time the plants are 120 days above ground. In that amount of time (with transplants into new media), the pH hasn't risen far enough to really matter to the plant's health. But mine are just starting flower about then, which is when I start to see the problems crop up.

So...move to a quality soil (like FFHF or Miracle Gro Natures Care Organic Potting Mix) and stick with MC, or move to the alternating system he recommended with ProMix? Farside is thinking that there might be a way to find a blend using MC and ammonium sulfate to keep the pH in check through flower. That blend will allow me to use the ammonium sulfate to add ammoniacal nitrogen (and a sulfur boost like Terpinator without the potassium) to keep the pH in check.

I am going to give that a test with the Jack Herer (now 69 days above soil), so that information will be part of those updates.

If you made it all the way down here,:thanks: for reading this!
I got pretty good results this year with random seeds growing with ProMix and MiracleGro. I used 50% ProMix, 25 % worm castings, 25% Sheep compost: to each 50 liters of mix, I added 1 kg of vermiculite, 1 kg sand, 500 g of dolomitic lime, 250 g of epsom salts, 100 g powdered kelp first in 10 oz cups, then 2 gal pots under lights, then moved ouside into 10 gallon grow bags. Inside, I was feeding twice a day, starting out with 50 ml/plant, and ended at 500 mls per pot, using the concentrations suggested on the package. I added 25 ml of coconut water to each liter of feed. The acidity and ppm were just about spot on what Bruce Busby recommends in "Maximizing Cannabis Yields " . When I moved them outside, I fed them with the recommended mix thru a towel wick in a plastic tube running from a cistern in the ground to the bottom of the grow bag. The results speak for themselves. I got 6 foot-long colas from one plant.

Hydra.jpg

Howdy Fraidy and :welcome: to my perpetual grow journal. Pull up a chair and join in the fun!
I got pretty good results this year with random seeds growing with ProMix and MiracleGro.
Seems like a pretty basic setup, but then there was this:
I used 50% ProMix, 25 % worm castings, 25% Sheep compost: to each 50 liters of mix, I added 1 kg of vermiculite, 1 kg sand, 500 g of dolomitic lime, 250 g of epsom salts, 100 g powdered kelp
...so not ProMix and Miracle Gro! Sounds like a lot of good stuff mixed in there, and congratulations on all those outdoor flowers! Love the late season purple it's got going on. Glad you managed to outrun whatever is noshing on those leaves. :thumb:

Here is a late Sunday update for those still awake and here (all five of you) and an early Monday update for the rest!

It was a busy weekend with non-plant stuff happening (e.g. dinner at a patio bratwurst place and a pop-up comedy show in someone's backyard) along with projects that needed doing. But in I did manage to thin the Candida mother and take some cuttings, along with coming to a decision on the tall Sour G clone.

Rather than root prune this Candida I thought I would thin it, take some cuttings, and if I get a good one to root, toss the mother. It's been around since May so it's time!

Here are the cuttings, which I hope do better than the last ones I stuck in perlite:

Remember the family of Sour G clones? There was the tall one that didn't fit with the other two for the STS seed-making project. Know where this is going?

(Shout out to @DYNOMYCO!)

That's right, I upcanned it:

I put it into a 5 gallon GeoPot, and after I harvest the Summer two next weekend I'll flip it with the Jack Herer (they're about the same height). Because I have no idea what the bud from the drought experiment will be like I thought I'd flower this one out, Justin Case.

That's my story for today. I hope yours is more interesting! :ciao:

(all five of you)
Make that six.. ;) .
Hell of a trim job on that Candida- she's less than half the plant she used to be...
And that Sour G looks happy as a clam in her new home... and she's getting big!

Thanks Moony! My space in the shed where the plants are is limited, unless I put it outside the Oval of Brightness®. But with the insulating walls and the light on top, I'm not sure the heat would get in there without cranking it up.

Anyone have experience with something like this? It would fit neatly along the edge and they're only 150 watts:
81EEof9c22S._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Me, if that's a chicken heater. Worked for me in my winter Neville's Haze warm up. Cozy coop heater.

Make that six...
Hell of a trim job on that Candida- she's less than half the plant she used to be...
And that Sour G looks happy as a clam in her new home... and she's getting big!
Six it was! Not too many Alaskans on here any more, and I don't know if I have any Hawaiian subscribers. :)

It's easy to trim when you don't plan on keeping the plant! And the Sour G is actually taller than the JH now. It's the first untrained plant I've had since my first grow back in 2017. We'll see...
Ok Thanks for the tip with the gibberellic acid . i know i have read it before but tend to forget // I will get up with you and send you a few to try , Thanks Good trim job as usually ,much happier.
Thanks sb! I'll have to see if I can dig up the GA3 for old seeds info. I think it was @The Celt who had that but I haven't seen him around lately. I'll take a look online.
Me, if that's a chicken heater. Worked for me in my winter Neville's Haze warm up. Cozy coop heater.
Oh thanks Otter! I thought you just used a heat mat but I'll go back and find your tent pics. [Oh wait, here it is, and well-labeled too! Did one side of the pot get much warmer than the rest?]

I read that the Cozy coop heater actually cuts off at a lower wattage than the Cozy leg heater (I think they're the same price?) so the leg one might do a better job in there.

:thanks:
There we have it! Another super VG idea via grandma :love:
Now we know where VG gets it from. :)
I had a fan hitting it to move the warm air around before getting drawn out. I also slowed the extraction fan to keep it in longer.
I have the exhaust turned off so that should make it more efficient, and there are two fans blowing down from the light so that should circulate the heat.

:ciao:
Just to complete 420's clarification, here is the advisory language, further explaining our Posting Guidelines policies.

For non-sponsor LEDs:
Due to numerous spam attempts from non-sponsored LED companies, posts or threads linking to non-sponsored LED lights are prohibited. Reason being, in the past re-sellers pretending to be members, have sidestepped sponsorship by starting conversations about their products and linking to their websites. This is not fair to our Sponsors who pay for this privilege, plus it sets the wrong example to others who may follow that lead. It's unfortunate that a few bad seeds have ruined this sharing of information and we're not accusing you of doing this, however we must apply our guidelines uniformly to everyone.

Non-linked references to non-sponsor LEDs may be permitted on a case by case basis, because we encourage sharing amongst members as much as possible, provided they are not being showcased, photographed and/or promoted in any way. 420 Magazine is here for information, help and support.

For absolute clarity, here is the difference between what we call "reference" and what is considered "promotional" aka spamming.

Reference: Members want to help each other by sharing what they use to grow and where to find it, especially when helping someone with a problem. This is completely fine and needed, in order to maintain such a large community of growers sharing and helping each other.

Promotional: A first post that bumps an old thread to post a link to a site selling a product is usually a sign of a spammer who came to promote their products without paying for advertising, which we call "sidestepping". Repeat recommendations to the same site and/or product are also regarded as spam and are dealt with as such.

For further information on this issue, please see our Questions & Answers - LEDs
For links to and/or promotion of non-sponsor seed banks:
As stated in our Posting Guidelines, it is acceptable to reference a strain's origin for reference purposes, provided you don't recommend or link to a non-sponsored seed bank.

One of the reasons why we do not allow a platform for companies who choose not to support our mission, is because doing so would not be fair to the sponsors who enable us to operate. In the past, allowing commercial links to other websites has resulted in sidestepping/fake accounts from non-sponsor companies, enabling them to make a profit from our community with no accountability or extra cost to themselves. We consider this to be an unethical business practice and feel that if a company wishes to sell products on our website, they should pay for the privilege in order to keep our website up and running. This policy also protects our members' privacy and security as far as possible, ensuring direct but anonymous communication with the sponsor companies offering support on our public forums.

It's too bad that a few bad seeds have spoiled the fun for the rest of us and we are not accusing you of anything. We understand that you are more than likely an innocent member, posting a simple reference link with the honest intention of helping someone. However, with all of the repeated attempts to sidestep advertising from so many aggressive, competing salesmen, it's difficult for us to determine who is innocent or not. For these reasons, we must treat everyone equally in order to maintain the good vibes and healthy environment on our website.
Now we'll leave Shed to continue his thread. If you have any questions now or in the future regarding our Guidelines, please don't post them here - just drop @Renee Roberts or me a PM and we'll happily explain further.

Great updates and all caught up. A little late but I'll chime in.

The trichome pics were excellent BTW!

CB is spectacular! She is on the short list of genetics in my 'MUST GROW' list now. I think she would be amazing if you harvest now AND in a week or two if you decide to let her go. She still has life to give into those flowers. Let her go.

Ok..so the Sour G trichs looked a bit rough or is it just me? Is this the only plant your giving a drought? Is it just me or do some of the stalks of the trichomes looked drained or weak. Is it getting another watering before the harvest?
I've assembled quite a brain trust here, and if we can't give you the answer we can certainly direct you where to find it!
INDEED!
It's always good to make sure the newer members understand the ins and outs of posting.
UHHH... and members that aren't new but always forget stuff...

Apparently @MrSauga someone isn't a fan of the dad jokes around here...pfffft... @Krissi1982 :rofl:

Screenshot_20211018-234711_Chrome.jpg

Six it was! Not too many Alaskans on here any more, and I don't know if I have any Hawaiian subscribers. :)

It's easy to trim when you don't plan on keeping the plant! And the Sour G is actually taller than the JH now. It's the first untrained plant I've had since my first grow back in 2017. We'll see...

Thanks sb! I'll have to see if I can dig up the GA3 for old seeds info. I think it was @The Celt who had that but I haven't seen him around lately. I'll take a look online.

Oh thanks Otter! I thought you just used a heat mat but I'll go back and find your tent pics. [Oh wait, here it is, and well-labeled too! Did one side of the pot get much warmer than the rest?]

I read that the Cozy coop heater actually cuts off at a lower wattage than the Cozy leg heater (I think they're the same price?) so the leg one might do a better job in there.

Now we know where VG gets it from. :)

I have the exhaust turned off so that should make it more efficient, and there are two fans blowing down from the light so that should circulate the heat.
Slightly warmer, never higher than 80f on the ir temp gun at 6 inches away when my cellar was 65f.

Tuesday update!

Let me start by showing you why I didn't factor the Candida into the trimming burden:

That's gotta be 4 or 5 minutes right there!

Now let's take a look at the Sour G, which was the only one in the drought test:
Ok..so the Sour G trichs looked a bit rough or is it just me? Is this the only plant your giving a drought? Is it just me or do some of the stalks of the trichomes looked drained or weak. Is it getting another watering before the harvest?
The whole plant looks drained and weak, and it's barely drinking (if at all) since I watered it this weekend. The buds feel dry and are solid as rocks (I wonder what the RH would be if I jarred them straight off the plant?) and enough typing, here it is on flip day 58:

It's going to be like dry and wet trimming at the same time!

I would say there's no question I let this go at least one day too long, as @Maritimer's plants have a much better recovery than this one has (if we can even call this recovered...don't call it a comeback!).

In other news, I watered the Chiquita Banana this morning, so it's still drinking, but a bit slower than at its peak.

That's the Tuesday news! I hope your week is off to a good start. :slide:

On to the rest of the quotes:
Great updates and all caught up. A little late but I'll chime in.
Late comments are always welcome, if more difficult to act on. :)
The trichome pics were excellent BTW!
Thanks Baked!
CB is spectacular! She is on the short list of genetics in my 'MUST GROW' list now. I think she would be amazing if you harvest now AND in a week or two if you decide to let her go. She still has life to give into those flowers. Let her go.
I know right? I'm letting it run until this weekend, and I'll get new trich pics on Friday for a final look.
It's nice to be in good company. :Namaste:
Apparently @MrSauga someone isn't a fan of the dad jokes around here...pfffft... @Krissi1982
:laugh: Not everyone can appreciate MrS' humor, but no one can not appreciate MrS. :love:
Slightly warmer, never higher than 80f on the ir temp gun at 6 inches away when my cellar was 65f.
Thanks for the info Otter! I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be happy with a flat panel heater in there even if it might save me money on the electric bill. I'm leaning heavily to the oil heater now. We'll see!

She looks a lil rough around the edges- but the rock solid nugs....that sounds like some success.

Edit- I shoulda zoomed in (using phone)- the trichomes :drool:

thanks again to you and Maritimer for doing this

Now let's take a look at the Sour G, which was the only one in the drought test:

The whole plant looks drained and weak, and it's barely drinking (if at all) since I watered it this weekend. The buds feel dry and are solid as rocks (I wonder what the RH would be if I jarred them straight off the plant?) and enough typing, here it is on flip day 58:

It's going to be like dry and wet trimming at the same time!

I would say there's no question I let this go at least one day too long, as @Maritimer's plants have a much better recovery than this one has (if we can even call this recovered...don't call it a comeback!).
Ahoy me bro out west,
aye from the looks of things all went well with your drought test except the recovery. we have em not come back all the time. but we are happier than a hillbilly with two teeth when the drought has done it's intended function. and keep in mind when you are dissin her looks, they all look the same in a joint. rolled in a bone and consumed they sure as heck arnt the same. she will blow your chakita bannana out of the water. :love:
just sayin mate :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom