Introduction from a modern-day nomad

Hi GG, Yes definitely start off a journal. I've never done coco, so I'm no help there, but plenty on here have. I'm just a balcony potted soil grower - haha. This is a great site and community, all the very best to you. :hookah:

Interesting moment to come to, turning your garden and stash over to the fuzz. I wonder what I would’ve done, or any of us? I probably wouldn’t have done the right thing. You did the right thing.
Something I noticed there was you stopped using cannabis and [insert health problem here] rears its ugly head. Same pattern here. When I stopped thinking of it as ‘naughty’ (under prohibition) and realised it is necessary medicine - a lot of things became clear.
Welcome to 420 mag. We want to see you grow great meds, maybe make other great meds out of it too. You already got a lot of willing helpers piling on - go you ;) You’re in the right place.

What can I say?

"Thank you" seems like too small words for the warm welcome you all have given me... I'm a bit overwhelmed by it, and so happy about it. Again "happy" seems like a small word for the support and courage you have given me in my timid first steps into this community.

It happens quite often that I experience some sort of "déjà vu ".... Or what-ya-ma-call-it.... Hard to put words on it... English isn't my first language. It feels like standing on a sheet of ice, and looking down, seeing a reflection under the ice of myself..... Same person, but not the same me....

Not that many years ago, I worked amongst many places for a live broadcast company, broadcasting live to several countries. Talk about having to manage stress in that environment. I've been a manager for six other people, plus our coding department in Malaysia of tens of others. I've worked and lived in five countries in Europe, consulted in just as many others, I speak four languages fluently and a total of six languages I read and speak well. Had two own companies, first on started with a friend of mine over 15 years ago (I was a kid at the time!) and sold to Panda Security back then. More recently I again started another company, worked with a few Fortune500 companies and been an instructor/teacher for NATO within the field of digital security.

Yet.... On an average day today; I get no more than 3 hours of sleep and battling stress and anxiety on a hellish level. Keeping me from living a normal life.... Some days, not even stepping outside, afraid of facing the world.

Afraid I will lose the last fragment of hope and pride. Afraid of failing, and just as much afraid of succeeding. So I don't even try. I keep my memories in a snowglobe of my mind. Shake it to see its beauty. Afraid it will break. And shame and guilt for "why".... Why do I have problems with normal things, that before was as trivial as rolling a joint.

So, please all of you;
@Killerbudz @hottafire @QueenCityB @bluenoserjoe @stoneotter @Bud @MrSauga @DrCannaCanadian @Modest grower @GIjose @Heavenly Hybrid @Tomuk17 @InTheShed @BeanTownFan420 @Stunger @DonkeyDick
I'm most grateful and humbled for your show of support. The digital embrace of a real community. It's f*ing lovely to see you guys having my back already.
Wait till you get to know me a bit better! I'm a handsome son-of-a-gun, quick with a pun and pull no punches. ; -)
Seriously though, I got time on my hands, keep an open mind, open for new ideas and knowledge and love research. Hope to bring something to the table!

And you all have given me the answer to the question "should I do a grow journal"

So yes, I've taken a few photos already of my four Guerilla Glue ladies, and just this morning, my Jack Herer showed its first pair of real leaves. I have a few questions for you all regarding my Guerilla Glue's, two of them are considerably smaller and underdeveloped compared to the other two.

My guess is that the sciaridae (aka. "dark-winged fungus gnats") is the cause of this. I've seen them in the grow room, and even exiting the bottom of the pot. Its a sort of fly/gnat/pest that's been causing a sh*tload of problems with my "painted nettle" (Coleus blumei/Solenostemon scutellarioides) collection. It lays its eggs near the roots and the larvae just wreak havoc on the health of the plant. During my last completed crop, they were the cause of me having (for the first time) a really bad result. Since I grow in coco, the constant wet growing medium is perfect for them. Getting rid of these f*ckers is usually a hopeless battle. Many, even professionals, state a simple answer: "throw all your soil and plants away".

However, there is an alternative.
During the last couple of days, I've been doing something drastic. About 50% of my house plant doubles (plants I got two of) have gotten the axe. Almost all my painted-nettles have gotten the axe and converted to "water based clones". They root much easier then cannabis, so taken stems are put in just a container of water. Getting rid of the soil, and all old soil out, and pots been cleaned. The whole apartment have been cleaned like never before. Long overdue anyways.
The places look lovely again!

And today the shipment of new nutrition, coco, PH-tester and most importantly nematodes arrived. The nematodes are microscopic ringworms that loooves munching on the sciaridae larvae. The packages I got (a few grams) contains about two million of the lovely nematodes. My new housepets! : - ) So today and tomorrow are the days of big change, out with the pest, in with the housepets.

Actually, I'm not sure if all this would have been a reality if I'd not posted here and gotten such a great response from the community. Again, I am most grateful for this.

Digital hugs for all of you. And, I'll show my appreciation in the form of starting the grow journal and documenting the beginning of this "getting rid of the pest" situation. A grow journal will be beneficial for me in many ways, that I am sure of.

- The Gardening Gnome

I hope all is well @GardeningGnome
(Already checking up on me? Giving a bit of well-needed nudge in the right direction? Extra love goes to you Modest grower.) <3

What can I say?

"Thank you" seems like too small words for the warm welcome you all have given me... I'm a bit overwhelmed by it, and so happy about it. Again "happy" seems like a small word for the support and courage you have given me in my timid first steps into this community.

It happens quite often that I experience some sort of "déjà vu ".... Or what-ya-ma-call-it.... Hard to put words on it... English isn't my first language. It feels like standing on a sheet of ice, and looking down, seeing a reflection under the ice of myself..... Same person, but not the same me....

Not that many years ago, I worked amongst many places for a live broadcast company, broadcasting live to several countries. Talk about having to manage stress in that environment. I've been a manager for six other people, plus our coding department in Malaysia of tens of others. I've worked and lived in five countries in Europe, consulted in just as many others, I speak four languages fluently and a total of six languages I read and speak well. Had two own companies, first on started with a friend of mine over 15 years ago (I was a kid at the time!) and sold to Panda Security back then. More recently I again started another company, worked with a few Fortune500 companies and been an instructor/teacher for NATO within the field of digital security.

Yet.... On an average day today; I get no more than 3 hours of sleep and battling stress and anxiety on a hellish level. Keeping me from living a normal life.... Some days, not even stepping outside, afraid of facing the world.

Afraid I will lose the last fragment of hope and pride. Afraid of failing, and just as much afraid of succeeding. So I don't even try. I keep my memories in a snowglobe of my mind. Shake it to see its beauty. Afraid it will break. And shame and guilt for "why".... Why do I have problems with normal things, that before was as trivial as rolling a joint.

So, please all of you;
@Killerbudz @hottafire @QueenCityB @bluenoserjoe @stoneotter @Bud @MrSauga @DrCannaCanadian @Modest grower @GIjose @Heavenly Hybrid @Tomuk17 @InTheShed @BeanTownFan420 @Stunger @DonkeyDick
I'm most grateful and humbled for your show of support. The digital embrace of a real community. It's f*ing lovely to see you guys having my back already.
Wait till you get to know me a bit better! I'm a handsome son-of-a-gun, quick with a pun and pull no punches. ; -)
Seriously though, I got time on my hands, keep an open mind, open for new ideas and knowledge and love research. Hope to bring something to the table!

And you all have given me the answer to the question "should I do a grow journal"

So yes, I've taken a few photos already of my four Guerilla Glue ladies, and just this morning, my Jack Herer showed its first pair of real leaves. I have a few questions for you all regarding my Guerilla Glue's, two of them are considerably smaller and underdeveloped compared to the other two.

My guess is that the sciaridae (aka. "dark-winged fungus gnats") is the cause of this. I've seen them in the grow room, and even exiting the bottom of the pot. Its a sort of fly/gnat/pest that's been causing a sh*tload of problems with my "painted nettle" (Coleus blumei/Solenostemon scutellarioides) collection. It lays its eggs near the roots and the larvae just wreak havoc on the health of the plant. During my last completed crop, they were the cause of me having (for the first time) a really bad result. Since I grow in coco, the constant wet growing medium is perfect for them. Getting rid of these f*ckers is usually a hopeless battle. Many, even professionals, state a simple answer: "throw all your soil and plants away".

During the last couple of days, I've been doing something drastic. About 50% of my house plant doubles (plants I got two of) have gotten the axe. Almost all my painted-nettles have gotten the axe and converted to "water based clones". They root much easier then cannabis, so taken stems are put in just a container of water. Getting rid of the soil, and all old soil out, and pots been cleaned. The whole apartment have been cleaned like never before. Long overdue anyways.

And today the shipment of new nutrition, coco, PH-tester and most importantly nematodes arrived. The nematodes are microscopic ringworms that loooves munching on the sciaridae larvae. The packages I got (a few grams) contains about two million of the lovely nematodes. My new housepets! : - ) So today and tomorrow are the days of big change, out with the pest, in with the housepets.

Actually, I'm not sure if all this would have been a reality if I'd not posted here and gotten such a great response from the community. Again, I am most grateful for this.

Digital hugs for all of you. And, I'll show my appreciation in the form of starting the grow journal and documenting the beginning of this "getting rid of the pest" situation. A grow journal will be beneficial for me in many ways, that I am sure of.

- The Gardening Gnome

(Already checking up on me? Giving a bit of well-needed nudge in the right direction? Extra love goes to you Modest grower.) <3

Looking forward to the journal @GardeningGnome
Hope the nematodes put a stop to the larvae. Another thing that works really well is BTI or bacterium thuringensis not sure if that’s how it’s spelled but the stuff works well and is organic

Looking forward to the journal @GardeningGnome
Hope the nematodes put a stop to the larvae. Another thing that works really well is BTI or bacterium thuringensis not sure if that’s how it’s spelled but the stuff works well and is organic
Thanks! I actually had a look into the thuringiensis. Unfortunately, the store that provides it over here does not ship it until it next month, when it gets a bit warmer. Similar rules for the nematodes, but luckily they were a bit less strict about them. If my problem refuses to go away, this is actually my next step of warfare with the buggers.
"Great minds think alike" they say, right? : - )

Hopefully, my new pets will do well. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks! I actually had a look into the thuringiensis. Unfortunately, the store that provides it over here does not ship it until it next month, when it gets a bit warmer. Similar rules for the nematodes, but luckily they were a bit less strict about them. If my problem refuses to go away, this is actually my next step of warfare with the buggers.
"Great minds think alike" they say, right? : - )

Hopefully, my new pets will do well. I'll keep you updated.
Your gonna do great. It seems as though you have been doing your homework.

Your gonna do great. It seems as though you have been doing your homework.
The old Roman fart Cicero once said: "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need". (If anyone is looking for an interesting read about getting older and wiser, try out his essay "On Old Age".) I do love research and make sure my plants reaps the benefits of "my library" so I can reap the fruits of "the garden".

What can I say?

So, please all of you;

- The Gardening Gnome

Are you running straight Coco or have an organic material mixed with it like earth worm castings? Your Coco should dry out pretty quick depending on the size pot you have. I've seen people use a hydrogen peroxide solution to kill any eggs or put a top layer of sand on the coco so gnats can't get to the wet coco. Hopefully you can knock the problem out and get that crop rolling!

Happy Friday, @GardeningGnome! I'm very happy you are starting a journal. I will definitely be following along. Best of luck with the pests, it sounds like you have a great plan of action. Keep us posted and have a fantastic day!

Cant wait to take a look at your journal! I cant praise enough of how this site offers the opportunity to absorb as much grow info as you can take in. I have never been judged for having an opinion on my grow strategy, products i use or questions i have no matter how remedial, or silly. Everyone here has always been respect full and helpful. So welcome and enjoy the camaraderie! Cheers!:high-five:

Hello everyone!

Soooo, I've started the journal, much thanks to you guys&gals, and the lovely warm welcome you've given me to this community. Digital hugs again!

Please do feel free and give me feedback and help me out, I'm absolutely in need of it. I'm going big with a few of my favorite strains to smoke and also one strain that's done great for me in the past: GorillaGlue/Jack Herer/Critical/Northern Light

You will find my grow journal here. Thanks again everyone!!!

ve seen people use a hydrogen peroxide solution to kill any eggs or put a top layer of sand on the coco
Whao, That is sooo interesting that you mention!!

I came across the product "Liquid Oxygen" by Growth Technology when researching "Liquid Silicon". I've actually added it as my last line of combat against the damn pest. Their "Liquid Oxygen" product contains 11.9% hydrogen peroxide, which would be enough to kill everything living in the coco. So, I'll give the nematodes a chance first, if that is not successful I was thinking to go with the thuringiensis and lastly the hydrogen peroxide. Perhaps I'll switch it around.

Does anyone know if hydrogen peroxide lowers/up's the pH?

I'm aware that "Liquid Silicon" does give a strong boost to the pH. I'm already on about 7.0 and would rather need to go down than up.

Happy Friday, @GardeningGnome! I'm very happy you are starting a journal. I will definitely be following along. Best of luck with the pests, it sounds like you have a great plan of action. Keep us posted and have a fantastic day!
Thanks a million!! I wish you a lovely weekend!! I tagged you in the grow journal

Since coming to 420 Mag I’ve found family here. I hope you find what you’re looking for here as well.
Looks like I'll be going in the same footsteps as you! Already just been dipping my toes in this community but already found a treasure-trove of knowledge and friendly people.

@GardeningGnome I would never have guessed that English was not your first language. I'll follow a grow journal you share.
Thanks! Been writing and speaking it for a loooong time now, and I'd say 80-90% of everything I read and listen to is in English. It is actually kinda weird, I dream in English and I keep "looking for the word" quite often in my mother-tongue, while I have the word in English.... Oh the joys of languages : - )

Cant wait to take a look at your journal! I cant praise enough of how this site offers the opportunity to absorb as much grow info as you can take in. I have never been judged for having an opinion on my grow strategy, products i use or questions i have no matter how remedial, or silly. Everyone here has always been respect full and helpful. So welcome and enjoy the camaraderie! Cheers!:high-five:
I'll be holding you to that! You just wait.... I'll go and out-silly you any day now!! : - )
Thanks a million for the welcome, once again.

@GardeningGnome I grow RDWC so don't have much problem with gnats, but plan an outdoor soil grow this season so am open to any and all solutions to any and all problems.:nomo: Tag me when your journal is up and running. :peace:
Haha, well put! I'm thinking about putting a few clones out this summer as well.... Perhaps we'll exchange ideas and solutions? I'm sure to need them!!

I know I'm late welcoming you to the community, @GardeningGnome but I just found your introduction after reading your post on cannabis audiobooks and have now put holds on some of them at the library so :thanks: for that.

You write very well for someone whose native language isn't English and it sounds like life has been very rough for you for a long, long time. I'm really happy that cannabis has turned out to be such a lifesaver for you. :hug:

I :love: :420:. It's the only place I feel like I can be me. I'm often high when I post so I don't tend to post much but I'm planning on learning how to grow when I retire in 20 working days :cheesygrinsmiley: and will also be starting a grow journal. I'm only planning on growing one strain for my first grow. For me, it will be Dark Devil Auto.

Best of luck to you here, with your grow and with life in general and I'm sure I'll see you around the boards.

:hug::love::hug::love::hug::love::hug:

:passitleft:

U sound just like me 14 years ago when I retired. It’s a rewarding hobby
and where I live a bit dangerous as well, for me that’s sause for the goose.
i grow both inside and out, keeping stealth grows stealth is the key one
friend tells another u know how that goes. Good luck with the grow

Back
Top Bottom