Iowa Lawmaker Pushes To Legalize Medical Marijuana

The General

Twenty states plus the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana, Iowa isn't one of them. One state senator from Iowa City is trying to change that. Democratic State Senator Joe Bolkcom hopes to finally pass legislation in 2014 to legalize medical marijuana in Iowa. "I think there's growing interest in our state, especially among people with debilitating conditions that have tried every other kind of medical intervention and treatment," said Bolkcom. "They just aren't seeing success." Iraqi war veteran Logan Edwards was one of those. "When I first used it and realized the benefits of it, I was shocked that it had been kept from me and it wasn't offered to me sooner," said Edwards, who suffers from anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder.

Edwards said he contemplated suicide before trying medical marijuana. "I have been using medical cannabis for the past two years and it's completely changed my life," said Edwards. "I went from suffering every day and just trying to survive through the day to enjoying life again." Dr. Steve Jenison is a native Iowan who has been instrumental in crafting New Mexico's medical marijuana policy. He believes Iowa should model their law after New Mexico's because of its strict oversight.

"(It's important) to allow the Department of Health to go through a fairly deliberate process in promulgating rules and regulations for the administration of the program." Monday night, a group of advocates came together at the downtown Des Moines Public Library to educate the public about what they say is a need in our state for medical marijuana. "Politicians in the state are completely ignoring medical advice from doctors," said Edwards. "They're the ones with the medical licenses and degrees, not the politicians."

"It's going to have to have bipartisan support," said Bolkcom. "And it's going to have to be something Iowans think can work to end the suffering of our fellow citizens." In a 2010 Des Moines Register poll, nearly two—thirds of Iowans said they supported medical marijuana use. Governor Branstad has said in the past he's opposed to it. A bill last session didn't make it out of committee.

Cannabis_Smoker-Joint.jpeg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Woi-tv.com
Author: Ron Marasco
Website: Iowa Lawmaker Pushes to Legalize Medical Marijuana - ABC5 News Des Moines, IA

Back
Top Bottom