Is curing completely necessary?

Doucheatron

Let me preface this by saying that I am a non-smoker. Of any sort, due to allergies (dust, pollen, smoke) which give me the lungs of a baby. So, I make food and green dragon.

I'm just about out, and a guy I used to work with just harvested his stuff and it smells awesome. However, it hasn't yet been dried or cured, and I'm wondering if it will suit my purposes without this?

Does anyone know if relatively fresh, wet buds can be used to make cannabutter and/or an alcohol-based tincture? Or is drying and curing critical to potency and not just to smokeability?

If you're a nonsmoker the smoke is going to be very harsh without curing.
You can use green weed for edibles. I would put it in the oven at the lowest heat setting it has and let it dry out for about 30 to 45 minutes. That will make it easier to put through a coffee grinder to powder it.

caution. when buying weed that has not been dried ! it weighs less when dried.

One of the purposes in drying is so the chlorophyl breaks down and doesn't impart it's taste to whatever you're smoking, cooking in this case. So the dry is necessary. But, you asked about the cure. No, the cure is not necessary if you're cooking or making drinks with it. Dry bud is good to go.

From the responses so far, it seems necessary to say that you can smoke it after it dries without a cure. The cure brings back the flavor and scent of the marijuana and helps to redistribute the remaining moisture throughout the bud.

I have literally smoked bud and leaf plucked from the plant and stuck in a bowl. It does the job,so no it doesn't have to be cured or even dry to get you high.

If you're an outdoor grower and want a near pure THC high,pluck a bud/branch shoot in the mid afternoon on a hot day in the summer and smoke it raw. It's not a long high,2 hours or so at best,but damn it's trippy.

We DRY pot, so we can CURE it.
We CURE pot, to make it taste sweeter, smell sweeter, to avoid bud-mold, to make it more Smokable or burnable, to get the chemical and clorophyll taste out, and to increase the potency. A GOOD cure takes 4 weeks, and some conisours (mispelled) cure it up to 6 to 8 weeks.

The idea behind curing was learned from tobacco growers. Curing is a biological process of allowing the SUGARS and STARCHES to change into something MORE pleasant to the taste and smell. Normally the SUGARS and STARCHES taste HARSH and not so pleasant. To grow, Plants need SUGARS that convert into starches from Fertilizers and sunlight. Curing also removes alot of clorophyll or the clorophyll taste that is sort of a grassy leafy medicine chemical taste and leaves a sweet tastey pleasant taste.
Also, we cure pot to avoid MOLD that can come within 30 days AFTER Drying.

We cure pot in jars, in darkness, in a cool place. After being placed in the jar, we store them in a dark cool place, then we re-open the jar once a day, smell it, inspect it, let it breathe for a few seconds and then re-seal it. IF we smell an unpleasant "nose pinching" smell, or see white growth, we need to immedialtey remove it from
the jar and DRY it some more for a few more days.

When you first harvest the buds, save some moist large stems in the refrigarator, in a baggie. If you dry it too much, you can add a small piece of stem back, to remoisten it some.

I have CURED pot one week in jars, and tasted it, and then Cured it 4 weeks and tasted it. If you will try the same experiment, or ask any experienced grower, you'll learn (taste) the difference. It is much more potent, and much sweeter tasting, and smells much better too.

Okay, so the taste is bad, but does it mess with your high? Is it more harmful? Because I've been thinking about getting in growing. But my roommate doesn't approve of me doing this in our living quarters and I've thought about doing this outside in the forest and also drying it when he's on a trip. But curing is gonna be difficult for me, like he hates when I carry any sorts of drugs in the house, legal or not. I'm thinking of growing about 3-4 plants 2 of which will be mine and 2 will be for another friend. If it doesn't mess my high and I wont get like 40 different cancers, I wont be bothered by the taste.

Okay, so the taste is bad, but does it mess with your high? Is it more harmful? Because I've been thinking about getting in growing. But my roommate doesn't approve of me doing this in our living quarters and I've thought about doing this outside in the forest and also drying it when he's on a trip. But curing is gonna be difficult for me, like he hates when I carry any sorts of drugs in the house, legal or not. I'm thinking of growing about 3-4 plants 2 of which will be mine and 2 will be for another friend. If it doesn't mess my high and I wont get like 40 different cancers, I wont be bothered by the taste.
Potency potency potency, if there is ever a reason to cure, increased potency would be it. If you're worried about discretion, I would say you could cure your bud in jars or bags wherever you plan to grow. As long as security isn't an issue you can pretty much cure your bud anywhere as long as you have jars and control the humidity. One good way to do this is to dry your bud, then put it in jars with Boveda packs, the packs keep the humidity in the jar at a perfect 62%. I would still suggest unscrewing the lids and let them breathe for a minute or two every day for the first week or 2 after that seal em up with a boveda pack and keep until you've smoked it all.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Potency potency potency, if there is ever a reason to cure, increased potency would be it. If you're worried about discretion, I would say you could cure your bud in jars or bags wherever you plan to grow. As long as security isn't an issue you can pretty much cure your bud anywhere as long as you have jars and control the humidity. One good way to do this is to dry your bud, then put it in jars with Boveda packs, the packs keep the humidity in the jar at a perfect 62%. I would still suggest unscrewing the lids and let them breathe for a minute or two every day for the first week or 2 after that seal em up with a boveda pack and keep until you've smoked it all.

I should also say to keep them in a dark place so if you grow outside just put them in a duffle bag, maybe throw some cameflouge over it or something

Does anyone know if relatively fresh, wet buds can be used to make cannabutter and/or an alcohol-based tincture? Or is drying and curing critical to potency and not just to smokeability?

Hi Doucheatron

Let me say first that nothing is critical in your scenario. You can do it either way but why not wait for the buds to, at least, be dried properly before use?

Curing, among other things, does increase potency of the herb. If you use properly cured buds, if nothing else, you use less buds for the same effect, so it's more economical.

Regards.

Back
Top Bottom