Is deionized water safe for the plants?

I use it all the time... Its the best for your plants because there is nothing in it, just pure water. So you can add what is needed instead of using somthing like city water which may have 400+ppm's of unknowns.

I second Icemud's opinion. DI water is a blank slate, giving you full control of your nutrient input. Just make sure you get all of the macro and micronutrients accounted for since there is nothing to fill in the gaps.

i would use tap water and if its too hard add half ro to it. my water is soft where i am so its no problem but if u are new to growing it would most likely to be easier using tap water with chlorine bubbled out than ro water. Unless u understand the nutrient needs of the plants and can spot defiencys quickly. obviously this would still be the case with tap water but u'll be less likely to have probs with tap water. Alot of people struggle with calcium and magnesium def with r/o water. Just depends on how fast u can learn and quality of nutes u use.

Reverse osmosis is different than Ion exchange I believe.... My unit is a R/O unit and I added an optional Deionizing Resin or DI filter to it which lowered my R/O water's ppm from 25ppm to 0ppm... I think there different.

Yes, tsox that is basically correct. All water will have some conductivity because you can't remove all of the dissolved solids.
Even triple distilled which is about as pure as you can get. Measured in the parts per trillion.

Worked in a lab for decades. Whether the water is distilled, demineralized or RO the analysis results will be very close to the same.

Back
Top Bottom