Is it a stretch to grow Sativa in short tent?

SnarlyWeed

Hey all,

First off, I generally lean towards Indica, both consuming and growing. However, some nice Sativa would be good once in awhile.
So here goes my question.

I have 51 inches from floor of tent to my LED. Tent is 2X4 feet. More than enough for Indica's with LST.
I would like to try growing a Sativa or at least a Sativa dominant hybrid. I'll be growing in soil.
Do you think I can reasonably try Sativa, and if so, any tips that you can share would be much appreciated.:thumb:

in my opinion straight sativas are gonna be a challenge for both your lst skills and patience... straight sativas can go up to 4 MONTH to flower and some 2-4 month to even mature(alternating nodes and preflowers)... sativa dominant hybrids on the other hand should be perfectly doable but still you are looking at minimum 9-10 weeks flowertime.
with clones you have the advantage of not having to wait for maturing plants before you can flip and thus they wont grow as high if ye flip them early or even start in 12/12.

hope this helps, this is my personal opinion and by no means certain truth !?

Pt

You can easily control most pure sativas with a scrog. I haven't found any that weren't completely tameable. Just stay away from the extremely stretchy ones. Almost all the pure sativas you'll find available are very controllable.
I've also controlled them without the screen- you just need to stay on top of them and keep trying them down. It helps to have basic experience with LST, and to know how to supercrop- but both of those techniques are very easy.
You can also just veg for a shorter time- like two or three weeks - that helps keep them smaller.

in my opinion straight sativas are gonna be a challenge for both your lst skills and patience... straight sativas can go up to 4 MONTH to flower and some 2-4 month to even mature(alternating nodes and preflowers)... sativa dominant hybrids on the other hand should be perfectly doable but still you are looking at minimum 9-10 weeks flowertime.
with clones you have the advantage of not having to wait for maturing plants before you can flip and thus they wont grow as high if ye flip them early or even start in 12/12.

hope this helps, this is my personal opinion and by no means certain truth !?

Pt
:thanks:
Thanks Ptero, it does help. I'm not too concerned with lengthy veg or flower cycles. I have a veg tent and a flower tent, and if in a pinch I can grow full cycle in either tent. I'm more concerned with stretch. so start with hybrid and work my way up.

You can easily control most pure sativas with a scrog. I haven't found any that weren't completely tameable. Just stay away from the extremely stretchy ones. Almost all the pure sativas you'll find available are very controllable.
I've also controlled them without the screen- you just need to stay on top of them and keep trying them down. It helps to have basic experience with LST, and to know how to supercrop- but both of those techniques are very easy.
You can also just veg for a shorter time- like two or three weeks - that helps keep them smaller.
Not sure if I am up to scrog. For some odd reason I seem to pull the ladies out of the tent for photo shoots and such. I do however try to practice LST. My flower tent is pretty much packed corner to corner now. Actually about to harvest in a week - 10 days.
I'm germinating some seeds now, and have ordered clones from LP (mostly just to be completely legal, Health Canada requires you purchase starting materials from LP).
(k, Snarly, slow down on the vaping)...rambling on, go figure. I guess what all the getting off track boils down to...I may be a few days with empty tents. I'm feeling more comfy about trying sativa though.
:thumb:

Our favorite plants always find a way to surprise its growers no matter your experience... basically it boils down to getting to know the females you take for a dance ... it takes many dances to get to know one really well but i would still mary them all hihi
:love:

Pt

Well said :high-five:

The screen just makes it easier. It's just something to tie to for LST basically. But you can also tie the plant to the pot if you drill a bunch of holes around the lip and you can keep tying the branches down to the lower branches and the stem. I have eight individual scrog screen set up's and that allows me to move the plants around and drag them in and out -although it is a little bit awkward sometimes. Check my journal and you should be able to find my set up easily enough. Or I will point you in the right direction. I have quite a few different sativas growing at any given time

The screen just makes it easier. It's just something to tie to for LST basically. But you can also tie the plant to the pot if you drill a bunch of holes around the lip and you can keep tying the branches down to the lower branches and the stem. I have eight individual scrog screen set up's and that allows me to move the plants around and drag them in and out -although it is a little bit awkward sometimes. Check my journal and you should be able to find my set up easily enough. Or I will point you in the right direction. I have quite a few different sativas growing at any given time

I use fabric pots, but I place them on a rack on top of the drainage saucer. I can tie to any point on the rack, and can move the plant by grabbing the rack. Also makes it easier to dispose of the overflow.
Will head to your journal now. Thanks

I use fabric pots, but I place them on a rack on top of the drainage saucer. I can tie to any point on the rack, and can move the plant by grabbing the rack. Also makes it easier to dispose of the overflow.
Will head to your journal now. Thanks

I have been looking for a rack for this purpose. Can you share some pics and more details on where you got them please?
By the way, I am growing some SLH in a 4 foot enclosure as we speak. I got the seeds cheap and between a short veg time, topping, and LST I'm not too worried about the height. I am concerned about a long flowering time though.

Archiweedies First Grow - Soil - LED - Super Lemon Haze - 2017

I have been looking for a rack for this purpose. Can you share some pics and more details on where you got them please?
By the way, I am growing some SLH in a 4 foot enclosure as we speak. I got the seeds cheap and between a short veg time, topping, and LST I'm not too worried about the height. I am concerned about a long flowering time though.

Hi Archiweedies,

I don't have any pictures of the racks at the moment, I need to upload quite a few pictures to here, will try to get around to it soon.

In any event, the racks I got at the dollar store. There are many things in dollar stores that can be re-purposed. The ones I use now are from the office or kitchen section. They are wire racks on 4 wire legs. I put them upside down and the legs become posts to give more options for tying. I was actually looking for those racks used to cool cakes or pies.

It's funny, I really don't mind long flowering time, I'm fascinated by these ladies. But for anything else, I usually want it YESTERDAY!
:yummy:

Hi Archiweedies,

I don't have any pictures of the racks at the moment, I need to upload quite a few pictures to here, will try to get around to it soon.

In any event, the racks I got at the dollar store. There are many things in dollar stores that can be re-purposed. The ones I use now are from the office or kitchen section. They are wire racks on 4 wire legs. I put them upside down and the legs become posts to give more options for tying. I was actually looking for those racks used to cool cakes or pies.

It's funny, I really don't mind long flowering time, I'm fascinated by these ladies. But for anything else, I usually want it YESTERDAY!
:yummy:

Cool I'll have to look for some of those! I kept thinking of ways to accomplish this task and nothing made sense to me I guess.

Not sure if I am up to scrog. For some odd reason I seem to pull the ladies out of the tent for photo shoots and such. I do however try to practice LST. My flower tent is pretty much packed corner to corner now. Actually about to harvest in a week - 10 days.
I'm germinating some seeds now, and have ordered clones from LP (mostly just to be completely legal, Health Canada requires you purchase starting materials from LP).
(k, Snarly, slow down on the vaping)...rambling on, go figure. I guess what all the getting off track boils down to...I may be a few days with empty tents. I'm feeling more comfy about trying sativa though.
I built individual ScROGs ...so I can take them out and work on the back side, unimpeded by the tent. Mine's a 2 x 4 also AC Infinity...the taller one is sativa dominant Mandarin Cookies, and on the right is Indica Dominant Garlic Breath. My next grow is going to be Landrace Santa Marta Gold , I'll build a large ScROG out of a large tub, and set it sideways, that should give me almost 8 sq ft of ScROG.

1c5a286b-1ef3-4989-b5eb-e62459b36b5d.jpg

332f5a50-9c65-4e3b-9793-045bae0bf5d0.jpg

6158493c-1da9-4540-9b2e-3899ce823c78.jpg

fc55a731-eab5-400b-8466-26aad090ed33.jpg

I built individual ScROGs ...so I can take them out and work on the back side, unimpeded by the tent. Mine's a 2 x 4 also AC Infinity...the taller one is sativa dominant Mandarin Cookies, and on the right is Indica Dominant Garlic Breath. My next grow is going to be Landrace Santa Marta Gold , I'll build a large ScROG out of a large tub, and set it sideways, that should give me almost 8 sq ft of ScROG.

1c5a286b-1ef3-4989-b5eb-e62459b36b5d.jpg

332f5a50-9c65-4e3b-9793-045bae0bf5d0.jpg

6158493c-1da9-4540-9b2e-3899ce823c78.jpg

fc55a731-eab5-400b-8466-26aad090ed33.jpg
This post is 6 years old & I haven't seen those growers here recently.

Back
Top Bottom