Is it OK to mix FFOF with HP Pro Mix?

I think the trick is to add a tablespoon of dolomite lime to each gallon of promix used.

Also pot up as u go rather than shifting to the biggest pot after seed that way u always have fresh ph balanced promix being added throughout to counteract the acidifying older stuff.

That is about what I added: 1 tbs per gallon of ProMix. For another grow I am doing, I'm not using ProMix but regular peat, which has a pH of 4. That seems to require a lot more lime, am adding about 1 cup for a 6 gallon pot.

Any thoughts on whether in an organic grow the soil will tend to acidify over time? Will organic soil (no chemical nutes) acidify? I don't know the answer but maybe someone here does. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for this thread because I've read so many online posts/threads about FFOF being too rich for seedlings and wondered how to "calm" the hot richness of FFOF.

I am thinking of a mix of FFOF with Sungro Horticulture Sunshine #4 Professional Growing Mix With Mycorrhize.

Will be germinating and growing Outdoors in the black bumpy looking plastic air root pruning pots. Because my summers are hot and dry, I will paint the outside surface of these black plastic pots Gloss White so as to mitigate overheating of roots.

I learned about advantages of using white-on-the-outside-black-on-the-inside-pots from Dr. Carl Whitcomb who tells you why, in a 17:25 minute video on Youtube, "Root Systems Basics". The lecture is about tree roots, but the principles are the same when applied to any plant. This video also informed my decision about how I will be germinating my seeds and how to reduce transplant shock caused by distrubing the roots when moving plant from pot to pot to pot.

In Hawaii, I would simply put the seeds in the ground. However, I'm in a place of hard clay soil which is why I spent a lot of time thinking about growing in containers.

Amauulu if I were you I'd pickup a quality bag of pure compost and mix it with the Pro Mix. That's what I do and have been getting great results. 3 parts pro mix 1 part organic compost. The FFOF is an already premixed potting soil that's a little hot. Why not mix your own stuff and tinker till u get it just right for whatever strain u are growing? (plus you'll save a bunch of cash not paying for FF branding)

I've found the 3 to 1 works perfect on all the pot ups after they come out of the pure promix seedling cups and by the time I'm into flower I can do full dose nuts with no burn symptoms.

If you are transplanting as you plan, you are going to be putting them in fresh soil 4 times throughout veg. This will make it unnecessary to give the plants a lot of nutes, especially in the beginning, so there will not be as much of a need to flush while still in veg. There might be some benefit however to flushing once at the end of the stretch, to flush out any early flowering nutes and ready the system for the next round of nutes, but in 7 gallon containers I question the need to flush until the very end. In 3 gallon flowering containers I had to flush a lot, several times throughout a grow. 5 gallon containers were not as bad, but I still had a mid flower need to flush using FF nutes. I never ran a 7gal container with that system, but I suspect that the larger container would have given enough of a buffer that I would not have had to flush till the end. Its just a theory though... so definitely make up your own mind about this as you carefully monitor water usage near mid to late flower. If you see a slowdown, you probably need a flush.
Is the compaction of soil that results from flushing with 15 gallons of water a problem ?

Is the compaction of soil that results from flushing with 15 gallons of water a problem ?
no, because only in your mind is it going to compact to the point that it harms anything. If you have perlite or sphagnum moss or other fillers in your soil, it is not going to compact anyway... voids will fill in and the level of your soil may visibly drop, but that does not mean compaction.
If flushing correctly always caused the compaction you fear, instead of a growth spurt and better water usage as a result, it would so oftentimes cause such a problem that no one would do it... flushing would be considered harmful. It is not. Flush with confidence that you are helping the plants, not harming them.

Great post, good thing I read this after I dove in head first. I just transplanted my 3 week young seedlings into a 50/50 mix of ffof & a 50/50 blend of Pro mix hp & bx. I also added 1 tbs of Gaia green 284 & 1 tbs of 444 in a 1 gallon pot, also tossed in 12oz. of some earthworm castings. . My plan is to veg for another 1.5 weeks and then flip to flower. Scrog it! I know this is an odd mix but I am a new grower with 2 grows under my smelt and want to learn what my delusions say can be done. Right or left, it doesn’t matter it’s all the same beast. Time will tell and I’ll let you know if I survive the battle.

Back
Top Bottom