Is it time to switch to 12/12?

Rain should get less and it should get hotter in the days to come. But I'm still not too positive about it. I'll consider buying a dehumidifier a few days before switching to 12/12.

I tried draining all the water in the trays and chucked it out. Got that baby as dry as I could. But still, the lowest my humidity goes is 70%. It rained last night again, and I have had lower humidity rates in the past. So I'm hoping when it gets hotter, it will get better.

Is it wise to get a dehumidifier anyway? Because even if I get the humidity down, there are likely to be rainy days in future. Which I assume will affect this.

It's a few days later since I topped about half of the plants. It feels like they aren't growing as quickly as before, but I guess that's the result I was going for. But to be sure, can you guys maybe tell me what you think of the images below?

This one looks like the leaves are getting burnt. I'm not sure if it's just water that got spilled on the leaves causing this. Maybe it is, or maybe there is something else to worry about?

IMG_1110.jpg

Here is one plant that got topped:

IMG_1115 - Copy.jpg

And some of the leaves seem a bit "edgy". It could be due to me giving less water in an attempt to bring down the humidity.

IMG_1116.jpg

Everything still okay?

Lol! Love the effort, scrolled right past them to figure out what was going on. Didn't think I'd need them to answer the question. Hope I was right!
:rofl:

It's a few days later since I topped about half of the plants. It feels like they aren't growing as quickly as before, but I guess that's the result I was going for. But to be sure, can you guys maybe tell me what you think of the images below?
This one looks like the leaves are getting burnt. I'm not sure if it's just water that got spilled on the leaves causing this. Maybe it is, or maybe there is something else to worry about?
Here is one plant that got topped:
And some of the leaves seem a bit "edgy". It could be due to me giving less water in an attempt to bring down the humidity.
Everything still okay?
Take pics in white light as it's really difficult to tell what's what in blurple. If you spilled nutes on those leaves it could cause spots so yes, could be that. Plain water would be less likely though possible.

Don't determine how much to water your plants based on the RH in the tent any more than you decide how much to feed your kids based on how much room there is on the table. Feed you plants and then sort out the environment!

If the dehuey is too pricey, you might be able to get away with 60% if you have a lot of fans. Airflow is important. The RH in my neck of the woods rarely gets below 60.

When you say "airflow is important", do you mean the air coming in, going out, or the fans inside? I suppose all of that boils down to airflow, but the reason I am asking is that I have 3 fans, a carbon filter and an extractor fan that should fit my tent perfectly. THe only thing I dont think fits properly, is the inflow or air. I have the same size inflow duct as I do outflow. But I just put a standard fan infront of the inflow pipe to help get air blown in there. Is that fine? Should I add more inflows? There is space for one more.

Also, I have trays in there and it looks like they cover the tents naturally bottom side slits. Is that bad? Should I lower my trays so they dont block those slits?

Today was the first time I left the plants alone for an extended period of time. I didnt check on them in 2 days. When I got there, the plants had grown SIGNIFICANTLY. Despite being topped. Check this out:

TOPED.jpg

The topping worked well for the Purple Haze. They didn't get much bigger. But this guy ignored it completely. It got two new branches, shot straight up passed the topped branch and its just going and going.

Do I top it again?

When you say "airflow is important", do you mean the air coming in, going out, or the fans inside? I suppose all of that boils down to airflow, but the reason I am asking is that I have 3 fans, a carbon filter and an extractor fan that should fit my tent perfectly. THe only thing I dont think fits properly, is the inflow or air. I have the same size inflow duct as I do outflow. But I just put a standard fan infront of the inflow pipe to help get air blown in there. Is that fine? Should I add more inflows? There is space for one more.
Also, I have trays in there and it looks like they cover the tents naturally bottom side slits. Is that bad? Should I lower my trays so they dont block those slits?
By airflow I meant inside the tent using fans to blow the air around. The laws of physics that an exhaust fan can only exhaust as much air as it can pull through the intake vents. If the intake vent is open and unblocked then you're fine. If the tent walls get sucked in, the exhaust fan is turned up higher than the intake vent can supply air. If you need to vent more air then you would open up more intake vents. You shouldn't need intake fans unless you want to puff the walls of the tent outward.

Airflow through the tent is important but beyond the natural flow of fresh air, you need to keep your tent's environment in mind. If your tent runs too hot then you would want to pull more cool air through, assuming the air outside the tent is cooler. Same with humidity. Your get the idea!

I don't have a tent but I've never heard of air intake slits at the bottom of a tent.

Today was the first time I left the plants alone for an extended period of time. I didnt check on them in 2 days. When I got there, the plants had grown SIGNIFICANTLY. Despite being topped. Check this out:

The topping worked well for the Purple Haze. They didn't get much bigger. But this guy ignored it completely. It got two new branches, shot straight up passed the topped branch and its just going and going.
Do I top it again?
Topping does not make a plant shorter for long....only until the plant puts out those new branches you see. What topping does is give you a chance to tie down those new tops to keep them low. Go look at a lot of other journals and see what other growers are doing. Check out the LST training guide in my signature. You will gain a lot more knowledge from reading other grow journals than you will just posting here!

So it's not necessary to have air flowing into the tent at all? Could that possibly be pushing up my humidity?

I thought LST was something you had to apply from day 1. Had no idea it could still be applied at this stage. I'm going to see if I can't pull them down. But before I do, I'm going to re-read that LST guide and watch a vid or two! Thanks!

Air should be flowing through the tent if for no other reason than to supply fresh CO2. If the RH in the tent is too high and it's lower in the room, then an exhaust fan will lower the RH in the tent. It's all about balancing the environment in the tent.

Training can be done at any stage with any part of the plant that you want to be somewhere else. Train slowly over time to avoid breakage!

I managed to buy a 10000tbu dehumidifier. Do I put it on the tent, or outside the tent in the same room?

I hsd it inside, but it raises temps and doesnt really bring the humidity down as much as i hoped. I have a feeling it might be:
A) the room is brick and mortar but it essentially has two permanent open windows. Its actually more air vents than windows and about 40cm by 15cm. Theres two of them. I tried covering them a bit, but not sure if thats good enough
B) the floor of the room isnt sealed like a normal room. Its cement, but no final lining. I think water might be coming from the ground perhaps?
C) maybe im too impatient. Its only been a day. And the container is hardly full. Probably take about a week to fill the 4 liter container. Is the dehumidifier perhaps too weak?

Any advice to sort out my himidity would be greatly appreciated? I just spent about 300usd and i’d hate to have to spend more to solve this problem.

Ps. Should this thread perhaps be moved to journals??

If the dehuey came with a manual or if you can find one online, see what it says about how often the tank should fill. $300 is a shit ton of money to drop on a dehumidifier so it damn well ought to work! Though if you have outside air coming into the room you will never catch up even if it does work. You can't dehumidify the planet!

If the tent is sealed you should see the humidity drop pretty quickly though. Can you vent the heat out of the tent somehow?

I would delay flipping until you see good growth come back after the stress.

So my problem is actually a problem. The dehumidifier works great. But the room itself seems to not have a lining which causes water to come in everywhere. I need to find a way to move the dehumidifier into the grow. Its heavy, so dont think i can hang it. So i’ll have to get less plants so as to make space for the dehumidifer. Bit of a stuff up. For the next grow i’ll move everything out of the room and focus on rhe rooms humidity before i start grow 2. But til then im going to have to be a bit creative.

When i got to the room this morning, the dehumidifer was full. And the main glass door has water going down it. So its hot enough in the room for water to evaporate and stick to the glass. What should that tell me? It makes me think water is having a hard time getting out. So why is water coming in so easily. Very weird.

And yes, i was hoping i could throw enough money at the problem to make it go away.

Hi Keith. I read your problem and have scanned through the post. Do you have an exhaust fan pulling air from your tent? I don’t know your whole situation but this is what I would try to do. Seal one of your windows(use cardboard and a trash bag if you need to or a piece of a insulation cut to fit the window) except enough so you will have some air coming in still but little enough where you can control the climate in your basement. Seal your other window and set up your exhaust fan if you haven’t already and run some ducting from the exhaust fan directly to the hole in your second window. The pressure created by the exhaust fan will create a passive air intake for your tent just keep a few holes open slightly. Run your dehumidifier constantly in the room so you can try to create a sealed environment you made in your basement by sealing those windows and it will make it much easier to control the Rh in your tent once you get it lowered the basement. Don’t allow any run off water to sit in your tent because the lights will evaporate it all over the day time. My dehumidifier was originally around the same price but I bought it used and it comes with a hose on the back that I run directly into a five gallon bucket and it saved my grow this summer. Would fill the bucket easily in less than 24 hours. I hope this helps at all and gives you an idea of how to create a good environment. Sorry if I overly explained things. Take it easy - jodyhigjrollr

Back
Top Bottom