Is it time to switch to 12/12?

Sorry about your mite problem. I too had a bad battle with mites on my first grow. Came from a clone I got of Cinderella 99 but mites were hiding in there. I had to chop it out about 5 weeks into flowering and destroyed my Gorilla Bomb plant from developing any frosty nuggs and does nothing for me, vape wise. Best of luck

And spinosad?

I stopped spinosad in prep for the predatory mites. I am harvesting today so no point in spraying spinosad now. I iso them to keep the mites at bay. And will do thorough bud washing and better trimming this time.

Trimming is more important than i thought. If you leave too much, those leaves are a pain to remove and not nice to smoke. Also, the mites are basically only on these sugar leaves.

I have 3 purple haze photoperiods currently flowering. I chopped the one today. But i stopped an hour into it. This plant is definitely going to have a bigger yield than my autos. When i cut parts, the scissors are also much stickier than with my autos.

But damn... does this plant have a lot mites. And a lot of black spots which i assume are dead mites, but to be honest, im still not sure.

I left the chopped down branches in the tent to seen if they will get better or worse. Maybe by some strange luck they leave harvested plants and rather go for the live on.

I looked at the trichomes after chopping a few branches down, and im actually not sure if it’s as ready as it can be. There is amber, but there’s also non-cloudy. So thats another reason i thought i’d call it a day and wait til tomorrow.

I find dry trimming impossible so I always wash, shake off the water, hang in front of a fan for the rest of the day, and then trim that night.

Only advantage to dry trimming is if you need a lot of plant material on there to slow the drying process.

I now trim as much off as possible right after getting it from the plant. I sort of have to do it this way, as it removes a huge portion of my mites :(

Washing is the answer to your mite problems after harvest, not hoping they go somewhere else!

No plant will be evenly ripe, so you can harvest in stages (staggered harvest) or take the whole plant at once and some buds will be riper than others.

And you'll never get all cloudy trichomes. You balance the clear against the amber depending on how much CBN you want in your harvest.

Washing is the answer to your mite problems after harvest, not hoping they go somewhere else!

I am going to be washing all day, for sure! I am just trying new things to see what happens. My first problem is still that I can't currently dry/cure in the grow room. Too many mites. So I take it to a room where the climate isn't ideal, but at least there are less mites. If I could dry in the grow room, then not only is my whole operation limited to a smaller area, but I also don't have to pay for 2 aircons.

Note: My second grow is also in motion, but it's going to be rushed. I put the photos into flower early and just want to get it done. When it is done, I'm going to do the big top down scrub and then, once that is done, do a seriously sweet ass grow journal.

For sure! I will definitely be washing them! It's pretty much going to be my whole day today.

And you'll never get all cloudy trichomes. You balance the clear against the amber depending on how much CBN you want in your harvest.

I don't really want any CBN in it. So I am thinking I should harvest the moment I see some amber trichomes. But I'm still getting a feel for when the right time is. The only way to do that is to cut off plants at different levels and to note down at what stage it is, and then cure those samples the same way etc etc. It's a lot of testing that I won't get around to doing any time soon. So I'm going with my "I see amber so let's cut it down" approach.

If you want to test, you can quick-dry on top of the DVR or the cable box or even faster in the toaster oven. It won't taste all that good or be smooth, but the effect should be close to the finished product.

LOL at your numbered questions!

1. You close them up for good when they are at 62% or close to whatever your final RH is going to be.
  2. Yes. Keep in mind that the humidity packs are designed for a certain size container, so you may need to have more than one in a bigger jar.

I harvested the ine purple haze yesterday. I can see it’s yields will be less than the other two photos. Im pretty sure it is because it took such a beating from the mites. Its leaves were almost white from all the punctures and feasting.

Today, i now noticed that the mites have comfortably moved from the one tent to the other. Now my other two flowering plants are showing webbing:

I isod the webs and bigs to pieces. These two are very close to being harvested, so im not going the spinosad route. Rather going to iso it every day. And then harvest.

The other issue is that the plants are making it really hard deciding if I should harvest. There’s still too many white pistels. But a microscope shows a LOT of amber. And the buds really look like they need more time:

Im going to leave them longer on account of the white pistels, but im a bit worried some of these are going to be almost completely cbn and much less thc.

I bought some of those micron hash bags. I want to make hash. I havent til now, because I wanted to use the trim, but the trim was full of mites.

So my question: would the micron bags filter the mites? Or an i guarantees to have mites in the hash?

This is truly starting to sound like a comedy routine!

I would say no way will a mite make it through a micron bag, but the answer to that can be found by searching for the body size of mites :). In microns obviously.

Haha. Yeah, im struggling to accept the mites in my life. They are super gross.

“The Tetranychidae family is commonly known as spider mites as some species spin dense, silken webbing to help protect the colony from predators (although many only use silk to protect their eggs). They are a medium-sized mite, on average 0.4 millimetres or 400microns long (excluding mouthparts).”

my hash bags are smaller than that. So i should be good :)

Nevermind. This answers my question

Specifically this part:

“Did you see this? A person on that board says, "ammonia smells means they packaged it up while it was still too wet and it's still 'curing' but it's not getting enough air sealed up so it ferments, releasing ammonia. just dry it out and the smell will go."

Back
Top Bottom