Is It wasting Weed?

SkinnyChef

Here is what I have been seeing...

Some of the people I smoke with....well
They take HUGE hits from the bong then...without holding the toke for anytime, they just blow out a cloud of smoke...and keep asking for more.

Is it wasting the weed and a good high ..not to hold the toke for a few seconds????

How about some feed back on this one folks! Smoked and exhaled with out holding it in...is it a waste?

Re: Is It wasting Weed????

I remember hearing that holding it in beyond like 3 seconds doesn't make it efficient enough to justify.. As holding in hot smoke is bad for your lungs. I'll try to find whatever I read that in for you.

I hold a hit in.. Well, I don't count. But probably about 2 seconds.

Lungs are pretty efficient, I mean, we don't have to hold our breaths to get more oxygen into our systems. Then again, air doesn't cost a lot of money and time.. We can be wasteful and breath as much as we want, so efficiency really isn't an obstacle there, so who knows.. . But I do believe holding it in for a bit helps.

I'm not a doctor, just my two cents/ dumb rambling yo. :)

Id say to them hold your shit or don't smoke

:biglaugh: :rofl::rofl:

I love your attitude, acideye! You gave me a much needed laugh with your blunt posting. I second his idea.

If I ever get the pleasure of smoking with you, I will make sure I ghost my hits! :)

I hold for a few seconds and let it out slow, which just looks cool. (Also it's really fun.)

I am always high when I smoke, even with small amounts. VERY small amounts. I had .6 grams last me a week, and while I wasn't stoned, I was pleasantly high every day.

I was watching a documentary (forgot which one) and they had a doctor come on a say that most cannabinoids are absorbed within 3-5 seconds and that only the tar, ash, and other contaminates remain after that point. Also I agree with DXM89, I love to let out a long slow stream of smoke into the night air, and just watch a cloud drift skywards.

I was watching a documentary (forgot which one) and they had a doctor come on a say that most cannabinoids are absorbed within 3-5 seconds and that only the tar, ash, and other contaminates remain after that point. Also I agree with DXM89, I love to let out a long slow stream of smoke into the night air, and just watch a cloud drift skywards.

I've never seen a documentary about it, but I have read several medical studies (typically from other places like the Netherlands and Canada) over the years. The 3-5 seconds for peak absorption sounds about right but many also said you can partially exhale, which stirs the smoke up and reinhale for another 3-5 to get even more THC. Most studys I read indicate that even with peak absorption the average "hit" results in loses of about 75% of the THC.

So if your friends are taking the biggest hit possible and then exhaling almost immediately, you can guarentee they really are wasting weed.

I still believe if you hold it as long as possible that you are going to get the most out of it. Yes you will get additional other crap but if you are short on weed, its a great way to get the most bang for your buck. :roorrip:

I'm with everyone here.. around 3-5 seconds. Not that I necessarily count, but that's about right. I'm sure your friends are still getting baked outa their minds, because big bong rips take probably 5-10 seconds, so the THC is staying in them for a decent amount of time. Seems to me that it would be the end of the hit that's wasted without holding it in, but the majority of it is well spent. If it were a bowl, different story.

One thing that should be mentioned here is the inhalation of a bit of air with the smoke. Personally, I have noticed that saving 10-20% of my lung capacity for air gives me a better feeling in my lungs and gets me higher. If it doesn't work for you that's fine, but regardless of the amount of time it takes your lungs to absorb the chemicals from the smoke, if the smoke doesn't leave your mouth and enter your lungs it is wasted.

3-5 seconds sounds about right for me... depends on the weed. The most important thing to me is the taste upon releasing the hit... I think some weed tastes better if it's not held in for so long... to each his own though!

Couldn't agree more.
Personally it differs depending on weather its weed/hashish i smoke. Generally I hold it longer with weed due to my thinking it has a better taste :)

A lot of people I have met would consider not holding the lungful to be wasteful, if it means the person takes more hits as a result. After all, if you could get just as high from less pot, smoking more is technically wasteful and more expensive. What these people had in common was a limited supply of pot.

Another group, all the people I have met who grow, see it differently. Their pot is not free, but it is very inexpensive. Enough so that they generally aren't worried about such things. I toss large amounts sometimes due to my legal limits. Plus, even the stoniest stoner only smokes so much. When you grow for yourself you can easily have an effectively unending supply, since it only makes a dent in the overall amount. In that situation I have noticed that people are less likely to hold it in as long. It makes nicer hits in the long run IMO. I typically won't finish off a bowl or smoke the last 1/2" of a joint either because it doesn't taste as good. My bud only goes through my 'cano at 365F 1.5 times and I toss it for the same reason.

So I think that it's really a matter of circumstances and perspective. If you were smoking with me I wouldn't be insulted if you blew it out right away.

:peace:

A lot of people I have met would consider not holding the lungful to be wasteful, if it means the person takes more hits as a result. After all, if you could get just as high from less pot, smoking more is technically wasteful and more expensive. What these people had in common was a limited supply of pot.

Another group, all the people I have met who grow, see it differently. Their pot is not free, but it is very inexpensive. Enough so that they generally aren't worried about such things. I toss large amounts sometimes due to my legal limits. Plus, even the stoniest stoner only smokes so much. When you grow for yourself you can easily have an effectively unending supply, since it only makes a dent in the overall amount. In that situation I have noticed that people are less likely to hold it in as long. It makes nicer hits in the long run IMO. I typically won't finish off a bowl or smoke the last 1/2" of a joint either because it doesn't taste as good. My bud only goes through my 'cano at 365F 1.5 times and I toss it for the same reason.

So I think that it's really a matter of circumstances and perspective. If you were smoking with me I wouldn't be insulted if you blew it out right away.

:peace:

Can I come live at your house??

Personally, I have noticed that saving 10-20% of my lung capacity for air gives me a better feeling in my lungs and gets me higher.

Completely agree! It almost feels as if the O2 is pushing the smoke further into my lungs. And I definitely felt a difference once I started doing this. I joked with my wife that I got higher cause of the lack of O2.

Also not a Dr., ... yet... But my theory is the O2 entering the air sacs help absorb more THC. Since the sac is going to be more permeable to O2 to begin with, maybe O2+THC is more permeable than THC alone.

Back
Top Bottom