Is LED lighting any good

Learning to grow takes time, patience, an outlay of money, resources and time. Part of that time is reading other people’s journals. Very few shortcuts in life. Once we know enough to ask the right questions, lots of discussions can happen. But don’t ask for the crib sheet.

meh, i'd say about 1/100 420 members feel the same way. discussion is key and most new grower would be more than discouraged to be called a "reposter" for a simple question you could have just ignored. seriously

Learning to grow takes time, patience, an outlay of money, resources and time. Part of that time is reading other people’s journals. Very few shortcuts in life. Once we know enough to ask the right questions, lots of discussions can happen. But don’t ask for the crib sheet.

There's a crib sheet? What didn't anyone tell us this to begin with! :D :D :D

You really just need to measure PPF .

Ideally you need as close to 800-900 PPF as evenly as possible across the whole canopy.
The newer LEDs require less wattage to achieve that PPF.

^^ This right here sums it up. Combine that power with the right spectrum and amazing things can happen.

It's also what lead me to buy my new light rig. 800 in the corner, to 950 in the center for a 4x4. It was about the most even coverage I found after months of research.

Do you guys sell the CXB 3590 set ups for a 5' x 5' tent ?
We are focused on board lighting and such. We have cob designs, however at the moment we have no plans to release.

We will not comment on other brands advertisements here. Just be cautious if a company makes you search for the actual draw of their lighting.

I started my garden in Jan, after some research and acquiring startup stuff. I initially purchased a 1000w/ 180w $100 LED for a 4x4. It quickly became apparent I needed something else and bought a 600w dimmable HID. The inexpensive LED is great for veg tents. With this hindsight, a proper flower LED setup is a longer payoff...

I started my garden in Jan, after some research and acquiring startup stuff. I initially purchased a 1000w/ 180w $100 LED for a 4x4. It quickly became apparent I needed something else and bought a 600w dimmable HID. The inexpensive LED is great for veg tents. With this hindsight, a proper flower LED setup is a longer payoff...

Northern lights under a 300w HPS. Coco and AN nutes, hand watered. Not fancy but works.

You really just need to measure PPF .

Ideally you need as close to 800-900 PPF as evenly as possible across the whole canopy.
The newer LEDs require less wattage to achieve that PPF.

I was waiting for someone to provide this actual correct answer.

The only time you need to worry about watts is to know how much you’re drawing from the wall. Plants don’t care about watts. That’s a measurement of electricity, and cannabis doesn’t grow under electricity, it grows under light photons. If you aren’t measuring umols or PPFD, then you aren’t measuring what matters to cannabis.

To answer your question, LEDs are the shit.
2889B18C-C721-4C05-A452-86D218DFC0DC.jpeg

23FA7BA6-1DE9-48A1-9AB0-0F2AFB8A1BC0.jpeg

The only time you need to worry about watts is to know how much you’re drawing from the wall. Plants don’t care about watts. That’s a measurement of electricity, and cannabis doesn’t grow under electricity, it grows under light photons. If you aren’t measuring umols or PPFD, then you aren’t measuring what matters to cannabis.

i like those lights. i counted 10 of them in a 8x4?
what are they called?

Exactly correct.
If you can get between 850-900 PPF very evenly wall to wall then you have achieved perfect coverage.
Theres no such thing as a perfect static spectrum.
IMO a light needs to able to change spectrum just a bit to adjust for the various growth stages.
I like a more predominantly blue spectrum from seedling to at least 3 to 4 weeks veg.
Then going more towards more red predominant light as you get into flower.

I looked at the Flouence Bioengineering lights a year ago, they were at the time my number one choice but the cost was just too much.

I've just ordered (pre-order) some Pacific Light Concepts Photoboost Strips to make my own custom made lights.
Will basically be about identical to the Flouence but considerably cheaper.

I plan to have a light bar on each light that I can replace and raise my blue spectrum in veg then change it back for flower.
330w each light, "should" be about 850-900 PPF wall to wall at 18"

Exactly correct.
If you can get between 850-900 PPF very evenly wall to wall then you have achieved perfect coverage.
Theres no such thing as a perfect static spectrum.
IMO a light needs to able to change spectrum just a bit to adjust for the various growth stages.
I like a more predominantly blue spectrum from seedling to at least 3 to 4 weeks veg.
Then going more towards more red predominant light as you get into flower.

I looked at the Flouence Bioengineering lights a year ago, they were at the time my number one choice but the cost was just too much.

I've just ordered (pre-order) some Pacific Light Concepts Photoboost Strips to make my own custom made lights.
Will basically be about identical to the Flouence but considerably cheaper.

I plan to have a light bar on each light that I can replace and raise my blue spectrum in veg then change it back for flower.
330w each light, "should" be about 850-900 PPF wall to wall at 18"

The cost has come down considerably. Prebuilt HLG600s and the Spydr2x lights are essentially the same price at around $950-$1k. I would say they are well worth it for the spectrum and the wall to wall coverage. I’ve never seen my plants so happy. I think I could run them under Spydr2i without CO2 but just raise the lights up to about 10”.

The cost has come down considerably. Prebuilt HLG600s and the Spydr2x lights are essentially the same price at around $950-$1k. I would say they are well worth it for the spectrum and the wall to wall coverage. I’ve never seen my plants so happy. I think I could run them under Spydr2i without CO2 but just raise the lights up to about 10”.
Yep better than it was a year or two ago.

I think mine are going to be about $400 each.

LED grow lights uses spectrum plants needs most, and the growing result will be better as long as you grow with the right wattage and ppfd guide. :) And as the technology develops, the led grow lights can help you save more energy as well. A lot successful cases, :green_heart:

I just gave my brother 2 of the 480w reflector series to finish his outdoor grow inside. the blueberry plant he has is so big i can't put my large hand around the base of the trunk lol. so i decided to order him another light. but since he's in closed space with huge plants i wanted to get him something that wasn't gonna be too hot so i ordered him a dimable ts 1000w mars hydro. excited to see it in action, and even more excited to buy it from him when he's done with it haha.

but i've had it ordered from amazon.ca for a couple days now and they're yet to charge my card. hoping it's in stock as it says it is.

Hi Remystemple, yes, big plants needs more lights to cover, haha! The TS 1000 is a small light though, plus the two reflector 480, should get the 16sft space covered well. :ganjamon: I hope that is enough for the big plant .
As to amazon, there might be some techniqal problem not charging your card, as I know they should have stock. :green_heart: You can send them messages to check about your order status and gets help directly. :circle-of-love: In future you can also consider about Mars Hydro official website: www.mars-hydro.com we also ship from our warehouses with 3~5 business days shipping time. very fast as well. :Namaste:

I like the setup going on here. Clean, plenty of height, plenty of space to work in, cleanly plumbed... just an excellent space.

Would like to hear more about the overall setup, or if there is a thread about it already, a link would be super.

Looks like just octopots with pvc trellis netting above. Octopots are the bee’s knees, especially using an organic living soil with it.

Looks like just octopots with pvc trellis netting above. Octopots are the bee’s knees, especially using an organic living soil with it.

Octopots... hadn't heard of those. Sub-irrigation: now we're talkin my language! :D

Thanks, kong!

LED grow lights uses spectrum plants needs most, and the growing result will be better as long as you grow with the right wattage and ppfd guide. :) And as the technology develops, the led grow lights can help you save more energy as well. A lot successful cases, :green_heart:

howdy miss Sara, is Mars-Hydro planning on moving The driver so it's not mounted over the dimming adjustments any time soon?
Having to take the driver off every time I would want to make a adjustment seems to be a pain.

Back
Top Bottom