Is my seedling mutated?

ReefKief

420 Member
Hey everybody! I started my first grow last week and I figured I'd join this community to get to learn more about growing and to get some advice. I've done some research but I have no experience with growing whatsoever... yet :)

I started out with a feminized Gorilla Auto from Vision seeds since I've heard that this strain is somewhat easy to grow for beginners. She's 6 days old (from the day she sprouted) and I feel like she's growing at a good pace. My only worry at the moment is that the leaves are looking a little deformed to me. As you can see in the picture, the first set of leaves are a little rounded and shriveled, but not dry. The next set of leaves is already starting to grow out, but one of these leaves also seems to be a little deformed.

Since this is my first grow I'm not sure if it's my fault or if it simply is a mutation. Do you think the seedling is still healthy and worth to continue growing or should I start over with a different seed?

• Grow space: 60x60x120cm grow box built from plywood
  • Grow medium: Organic soil for vegetable growing with a little perlite
  • Light: This light from AliExpress with white full spectrum LED's. It should pull about 110 watts and it's hanging about 30cm over the seedling (maybe too close?) The light schedule is 18/6.
  • Pot: Just a generic 10L plastic pot with holes in the bottom
  • Ventilation: A 20cm oscillating fan on the inside and two 120mm PC fans as exhaust (with a homemade carbon filter)
  • Temperature: 21- 22°C with light off and 25-28% with light on
  • Relative humidity: Unfortunately quite low at 35-50% as I don't have a humidifier yet.
Since the humidity is so slow I've considered using a humidity dome, but that way the seedling won't get any airflow. I don't know which is more imported at that stage, airflow or humidity? Is 35-50% humidity enough even though it's not ideal?

Thanks in advance :)

gsbh4tezwxv61.jpg

airflow is the most important. Humidity domes make for weak plants that then need to be weaned back into the real environment. I don't use humidity domes ever, even when cloning.

Yes, this is weird damage, but I hesitate to say mutation. I work on a rule that as it is above, it is the same below. Something is wrong at the root level. How often are you watering? Is there anything odd about your water, I mean, can you drink it? Where is the grow box located?

airflow is the most important. Humidity domes make for weak plants that then need to be weaned back into the real environment. I don't use humidity domes ever, even when cloning.

Yes, this is weird damage, but I hesitate to say mutation. I work on a rule that as it is above, it is the same below. Something is wrong at the root level. How often are you watering? Is there anything odd about your water, I mean, can you drink it? Where is the grow box located?
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find a way to rise the humidity without a humidity dome while I wait for my humidifier to arrive.

Since it's an autoflower I planted it in a big pot straight away which makes overwatering a lot easier. I try to avoid that buy only watering the center of the pot around the seedling. I usually water when the soil starts to get dry about 1 inch deep. Maybe I'm still watering too much? Where I live the tap water is drinkable so it should be fine I guess. I ordered a ph meter but it hasn't arrived yet.

The grow box is located in my bedroom.

I don't know if this information helps, but the day the seedling sprouted, its cotyledons looked a little messed up as well:

rppjtjtx96v61.jpg

I asked about the location to see if you possibly were in a garage or somewhere that bugs could get in. Eliminating that and going with the clues you have given, I think we see a dual answer to the mystery.

Ph is very important in a hydro type grow. The pH meter is going to get you in the correct range, and I think most shoot for 5.8 on the fluids.

You didn't say if you feed every time, but coco has nothing in it to feed the plants... you have to feed in coco every time. Also, from my readings on here it seems that most do not let coco dry out... in fact they water several times a day, keeping the coco wet. Not soaking the whole container seems appropriate, but I am thinking that you are not watering enough. I am sure that a real coco person will come along soon and take you under their wing... I am just filling in till they arrive. :)

I don't know if this information helps, but the day the seedling sprouted, its cotyledons looked a little messed up as well:

rppjtjtx96v61.jpg
naw... those are normal. Cotyledons are always a little odd, except when they are not. lol You just never know. They usually are the first to start showing damage though, when things go sideways.

I asked about the location to see if you possibly were in a garage or somewhere that bugs could get in. Eliminating that and going with the clues you have given, I think we see a dual answer to the mystery.

Ph is very important in a hydro type grow. The pH meter is going to get you in the correct range, and I think most shoot for 5.8 on the fluids.

You didn't say if you feed every time, but coco has nothing in it to feed the plants... you have to feed in coco every time. Also, from my readings on here it seems that most do not let coco dry out... in fact they water several times a day, keeping the coco wet. Not soaking the whole container seems appropriate, but I am thinking that you are not watering enough. I am sure that a real coco person will come along soon and take you under their wing... I am just filling in till they arrive. :)
I don't think bugs should be an issue.

I haven’t added any nutrients yet since I am using a generic organic potting mix, not coco. Apparently the potting mix itself should already have enough nutrients for the first few weeks, at least that's what it says in the package.

pH should be much closer to the mark in soil, so I am eliminating that as a cause too. Your watering method seems very reasonable, but maybe you are not giving enough. Try to imagine how much water it would take, watering down the center like that , to at least in that point, have enough to get all the way to the bottom. Roots chase water, so you should show them where to go. I also recommend that you help the upper spreader roots expand outward toward the edges by watering out to about 3x the diameter of the plant, imagining how much water it would take to go about 3-4 inches deep. When the 3x the plant diameter reaches the edges of the container, for the first time water the container to saturation (runoff) and then until the plant can drain all of that water, just give small amounts of water around the outside edges about every 3 days. I wrote a nice piece on how to do this with a small plant in a large container... the link is in my signature lines.

I don't think bugs should be an issue.

I haven’t added any nutrients yet since I am using a generic organic potting mix, not coco. Apparently the potting mix itself should already have enough nutrients for the first few weeks, at least that's what it says in the package.
yes, sorry again. I get easily confused. Most potting soils can easily keep the plants going for the first few weeks. Think as above so below... something is happening to those roots... maybe too dry down there? It is an odd one.

pH should be much closer to the mark in soil, so I am eliminating that as a cause too. Your watering method seems very reasonable, but maybe you are not giving enough. Try to imagine how much water it would take, watering down the center like that , to at least in that point, have enough to get all the way to the bottom. Roots chase water, so you should show them where to go. I also recommend that you help the upper spreader roots expand outward toward the edges by watering out to about 3x the diameter of the plant, imagining how much water it would take to go about 3-4 inches deep. When the 3x the plant diameter reaches the edges of the container, for the first time water the container to saturation (runoff) and then until the plant can drain all of that water, just give small amounts of water around the outside edges about every 3 days. I wrote a nice piece on how to do this with a small plant in a large container... the link is in my signature lines.

I feel like I have mostly been watering the upper part of the soil so maybe I the water doesn’t really reach the bottom of the pot which might be the problem then...

I'll make sure to have a look at your watering guide and I'll try to give my plant a little more water to see how it reacts.

Thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated! :)

Back
Top Bottom