is peat moss good or bad?

The sandy soil/peat moss should be fine...might want to add a little bit of dolomite lime, NOT hydrated...don't make the mistake I did lol, it's a LOT more potent to say the least. Peat moss can tend towards the acidic side of the pH scale after a while when it begins to really break down and the lime will help create a buffer and keep you closer to a 7.0pH. Some people won't touch MG soil with a thirty foot pole because it has time release nutrients in it that can cause problems during the grow. Other people use it and have no major issues...try it and see although personally I wouldn't use it. I prefer to use soil with no time-release nutrients so that I control when the plants get nutes, how much they get, and what they get...based on what they tell me they need or want.

If you've already got everything planted and are broke try it and see. If you've got some extra cash hanging around I would wait until I transplant them and then switch over to a new, more "neutral" soil. I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest and have no problems, lots of other people here like it too as far as pre-mixed soils go. It has a lot of nutrients and other good stuff in it that should feed any plant for a good 3-4 weeks before requiring extra fertilizing. If anything some have reported that it is too "hot" (strong) for seedlings but I haven't had any seedling issues related to the soil...at least that's my experience so far with about 6 or 7 plants grown in it.

The sandy soil/peat moss should be fine...might want to add a little bit of dolomite lime, NOT hydrated...don't make the mistake I did lol, it's a LOT more potent to say the least. Peat moss can tend towards the acidic side of the pH scale after a while when it begins to really break down and the lime will help create a buffer and keep you closer to a 7.0pH. Some people won't touch MG soil with a thirty foot pole because it has time release nutrients in it that can cause problems during the grow. Other people use it and have no major issues...try it and see although personally I wouldn't use it. I prefer to use soil with no time-release nutrients so that I control when the plants get nutes, how much they get, and what they get...based on what they tell me they need or want.

If you've already got everything planted and are broke try it and see. If you've got some extra cash hanging around I would wait until I transplant them and then switch over to a new, more "neutral" soil. I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest and have no problems, lots of other people here like it too as far as pre-mixed soils go. It has a lot of nutrients and other good stuff in it that should feed any plant for a good 3-4 weeks before requiring extra fertilizing. If anything some have reported that it is too "hot" (strong) for seedlings but I haven't had any seedling issues related to the soil...at least that's my experience so far with about 6 or 7 plants grown in it.

ok thanks man that helps alot,:thumb:

Big +1 on the POWDERED DOLOMITE LIME.

Not pellets or hydrated, but powdered.

DD

Back
Top Bottom