420 Magazine Background

Is Tap Water OK For My Seeds & Plants?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior
Tap water in most areas is highly chlorinated, this does not appear to harm Cannabis; and countless fine crops are raised with water straight from the tap.

Chlorine is introduced to water as the gas Cl(subscript)2 which formulates slightly acidic water, the chlorine could possibly influence the plants indirectly, by killing some beneficial microorganisms in the soil; however, neither effect is expected to be serious. Organochlorine takes longer than chlorine to dissipate, so the best procedure is allowing the water to stand in an open container for three days at room temperature.

If the water has dissolved CO2 in it (like some bottled water labeled as pure), the pH will rise as that comes out. Letting it sit out is used to evaporate the chlorine, which is fine if thats what your district uses. Some areas have switched to chloramine, which is chlorine and ammonia. This will not evaporate and you need a reverse-osmosis filter (or a distiller) to remove chloramine.

To determine which is in your water, have a sample tested or call your utility company. Even with chlorine or chloramine, your plants may grow fine from the tap, but if you wouldn't drink it, why should your plants?
 

RGF2011

New Member
re: Is Tap Water OK For My Seeds & Plants?

What about using campden tablets to remove the chloramine? Home brewers use this to remove the chlorine and chloramine before brewing. 1 tablet treats 20 gallons added the day before so it will not kill the yeast.
 

rastamamma

New Member
It all depends.....are you growing organic in soil?

I grow in my own soil blend, fully organic with teas and omri-certified fert. For me the most important aspect is the living soil, because that is what feeds my plants. Chlorine is added to kill bacteria and fungi, which is a bad thing for the beneficial bacteria in my soil. However, its a good thing that it kills the anaerobic, non-beneficial bacteria, before you drink the water :)
 

CopsPop

New Member
If you have a water conditioner that uses salt, there will be some salt in your tap water. This will build up over time and can cause problems or may even cause them to die. (Almost sounds like a disclaimer for a TV ad)
 
Top Bottom