Is there a faster way to germinate seeds?

Thanks for the reply about the dark. I was using the papertowel in plastic bag and putting them in the windowsill. I finally got one to germinate, but it would never grow but didn't die, just stayed same size. I'll try the completely in the dark approach as well as the jar of water. I'm not sure I will purchase on-line seeds again.
how do you know it didnt grow but didn't die if its in the soil? soon as it cracks in the glass of water you need to get it underground.

this is bull. I dont germinate in the dark. I simply throw them in a glass of water and wait for the seed to crack. happens between 12-72 hours everytime. leave it sitting on my windowsill,. full light, makes no difference
My thinking is this......

Poppin seeds in dark mimics underground, roots do not like light and thats what you are trying to grow is a tap root...

I lived in the desert in Cali, in a matter of a couple hours a cup of water would evap and kill that seed so....

And here is 2 days after going into paper after my pill bottle method on previous page.... 2 days and tap root 5x the size.... She just went into Natures Care Organic Potting mix with 25% extra Perlite (I usually use 50/50 but oopsied), didnt add enough but it's just for drainage, just a little more makes it easier to control watering for babies I have found...

170535399_510723923254825_740811972577257523_n.jpg

My thinking is this......

Poppin seeds in dark mimics underground, roots do not like light and thats what you are trying to grow is a tap root...

I lived in the desert in Cali, in a matter of a couple hours a cup of water would evap and kill that seed so....
seed cant tell anyway untill it pops a root out so its meaningless. but you are correct. roots can see light and don't like it. (but by don't like its been shown they they grow really fast trying to escape the light - Check the NASA high pressure aeroponics research stuff they discovered this by accident)) but until the seed cracks it makes 0 difference. i live in oz we regularly have weeks at about 116F

P.s> I don't let a tap root grow at all. As soon as the seed has cracked and I know its a viable seed it goes straight into soil/coco/rockwool/whatever. i just do it as a proof that the seeds alive still before I waste time planting it :)

oh also I live in the part of Australia that receives the least rainfall. so I live in the driest state of the driest country of the driest continent on earth :) like, we aren't even allowed to water our gardens when we like, they designate certain numbers on certain days to save water. we recycle none of it so ya know...

oh also I live in the part of Australia that receives the least rainfall. so I live in the driest state of the driest country of the driest continent on earth :) like, we aren't even allowed to water our gardens when we like, they designate certain numbers on certain days to save water. we recycle none of it so ya know...
Not familiar with Australia weather but found a site called weatherspark which gives all sorts of detail about average climates for places....I looked up Darwin because another site said it was the hottest and compared it to a prior hot residence in Cali.

who the hell says i live in darwin? fuck that place, cant grow weed there for shit the RH is like 90% all the time
I live in Adelaide. but yeah no one grows weed in darwin really man, the humidity is uncontrollable. that's why an ounce costs like 480-650, remember how elon musk offered to build a battery bank for a part of Australia since we have so many blackouts but we said no? yeah that's the place imfrom lol that summer we had 8 days over 4

Darwin falls into the subtropic latitudes of the earth so the humidity is no shit year round about 80-100% I cant last more than 3 days without going insane

who the hell says i live in darwin? fuck that place, cant grow weed there for shit the RH is like 90% all the time
I live in Adelaide. but yeah no one grows weed in darwin really man, the humidity is uncontrollable. that's why an ounce costs like 480-650, remember how elon musk offered to build a battery bank for a part of Australia since we have so many blackouts but we said no? yeah that's the place imfrom lol that summer we had 8 days over 4

Darwin falls into the subtropic latitudes of the earth so the humidity is no shit year round about 80-100% I cant last more than 3 days without going insane
dang

I did mine using the paper towel method (but used a coffee filter instead). Put a dripping wet piece of sponge on the edges to wick moisture and keep it all damp. Plastic paper plate on the bottom and top. Set it on top of my computer for warmth. Two or three days later they were ready for soil. Do you need faster than that?

I’ve been striking out at trying to get my photo period seeds to sprout. Have an autoflower blooming now in the tent. I’ve tried paper towel. Bought a heated grow pad to place dark mug on for an 18 hr soak. Pad warms water to 80 when the digital readout says 74. Seeds are stored in the dark in frig. Should I let them warm to room temp before I scratch & soak them??? Thanks.

Does seed color determine its’ viability? Does handling a seed bare handed sign its’ death papers?
No, I have lots of light colored seeds that sprout No, I don't think so

As far as speeding up germination I did an experiment where I removed the shells from some newer seeds to see if I could get some 20 year old seeds growing if I did the same to them

It worked for the newer seeds but the 20 year olds were to far gone

seeds with shells removed & shell less seeds germinating
They were sprouting tails in a day
IMG_1615 (2).JPG
IMG_1616 (2).JPG

All these stories about tap roots in water, in paper towel. Getting LOTSA light on the root if it sprouts. If I peek in the paper towel, a small root there disappears. Why doesn’t the light kill the seeds with exposure in a clear glass or pill bottle?

seed cant tell anyway untill it pops a root out so its meaningless. but you are correct. roots can see light and don't like it. (but by don't like its been shown they they grow really fast trying to escape the light - Check the NASA high pressure aeroponics research stuff they discovered this by accident)) but until the seed cracks it makes 0 difference. i live in oz we regularly have weeks at about 116F

P.s> I don't let a tap root grow at all. As soon as the seed has cracked and I know its a viable seed it goes straight into soil/coco/rockwool/whatever. i just do it as a proof that the seeds alive still before I waste time planting it :)
Is there a difference in plant formation starting off with such a large root?

As I pop mine in water until they crack open and show a tip usually the next day, some a bit longer and then they go straight into the soil and couple days later the seed comes peeping.

Check out @Bill284 heaven shores I went from seed to above ground in under 5 days Fastest I have ever seen Im still dumbfounded when it comes to weed BILL KNOWS.. lol kinda catchy slogan

After reading all this, I remember tap root’s that had arrived but once I put them in soil, they never came above ground. Several times this happened. So now I am putting seeds in soil before the root shows. Less moving seed about.

I think directly into the soil is best.The only advantage to germinating on wet paper is to save yourself from planting dud seeds,it does`nt save time as once you`ve germed the seed it still needs planting and then it`s gonna take 2-3 days to break the soil.Germinating in the soil means the root gets no un-needed handling.These plants I`m growing atm(bubbelicious+aurora indica)broke soil 55hours after planting and all 6 were through within 48hours after that.Quality seed,direct in the soil is the fastest and easiest method I`ve found.
Mother nature has millions of years getting this right, we ain't going to improve on that!

I soak my seeds for 12 hours and then I sow them.. 2/3 days later I have seedlings. I used paper towels before, but it’s an unnecessary step.

They don’t need darkness once potted. Put them straight under lights or on the window sill. The seeds buried in soil and is in complete darkness already. As soon as it pokes through it will be reaching for light

I think trying to speed up germination is a risk trying on good beans. But ones uncracked 7+ days I’d give this ago at reviving them.
It takes months to grow anyways, for the sake of a few days germinating I wouldn’t be trying it

Back
Top Bottom