Is There a Similar Substitute for Mylar?

SmokeyMacPot

I've discovered the cheapest Mylar around-- only 2 bucks$! You save 18 bucks$ a roll! It?s a Christmas present wrapping Mylar called Polywrap

- Waterproof
- 50 square ft. a roll
- 1 mil (@ .001 inch) thick X 3 1/2 ft. wide X 20ft long.

Note: Only buy the very Bright and shiny Mylar-type wrapping!

Author: Stickydank

I don't know if you have any contacts in the flat roofing industry but have a look at the white, green roof membranes they're using, with a 98% solar reflective index it actually better than the mylar lining the inside of some grow tents and it's definitely more durable. Most flat roofing companies have a supply of scrap/leftover material taking up space in their yards, you might be able to lay your hands on some at a bargain price if you ask.

after 12 years their grow space may need an upgrade from the christmas wrap :D

I used those cheap dollar store type of reflectors that sit in the vehicle window for a while and some camping thermal blankets, which I believe is mylar but cut into pieces and sold as such in the camping section.

I don't know if you have any contacts in the flat roofing industry but have a look at the white, green roof membranes they're using, with a 98% solar reflective index it actually better than the mylar lining the inside of some grow tents

That's a rating for solar heat rejection, not light reflectivity. It might still be okay (I have no idea), but not because of the above. People use Reflectix duct (et cetera) insulation. Probably for the same reasons - it's not uncommon to walk onto a build site, politely ask if they have any leftovers, and walk away with the last few to several feet of a 4' wide roll for free. Plus, it looks shiny, lol. But, while it's often better than nothing (depending on the color of the walls one hangs it on :rolleyes: ), it's not great.

Orca Film is the most reflective - in terms of light - that I am aware of. It's not real cheap, but is extremely good for the purpose. There's a video on YouTube of someone holding a PAR light meter sensor on the floor of a standard grow tent (that already has mylar/reflective walls) while a helper reaches in and hangs a precut sheet of Orca Film on each of the other three walls. Each time they hang one of the sheets, the reading on the meter goes up significantly. It's durable and can be cleaned over and over without degrading it (don't use a Brillo pad on it ;) ).

Mylar is okay, but it's thin, easy to tear, is often used incorrectly (should be tight, not hung so it's "wavy like a curtain," wrinkled, or creased), and while it does appear to be pretty reflective... if you shine a strong light on it, you can see light escaping through it from the other side.

Properly prepped, primed, and painted walls with the brightest white paint you can find is an excellent reflective surface. If you use flat paint, you get nice diffusion with no glare or "hot spots." Unfortunately, you can't clean flat paint (try scrubbing your ceiling (no, don't, really, unless you've got some spare ceiling paint)). That might not be an issue if you repaint after every harvest or two, but accidents happen. A finish such as eggshell is almost as good (and still better than most every product that isn't actually made with the intention of reflecting light) - and you can clean it. Try to avoid satin, and definitely avoid semigloss and gloss. This thing (properly painted walls) isn't a solution for grow tents, obviously, but can often be the best solution for cabinets, closets, and rooms.

You're already paying for 100% of your light's output each and every month on your electric bill. With that being true, it makes sense to do whatever you can in order to actually get to use as close to 100% of that light as possible.

Walmart has a space blanket in ‘camping area’. Couple bucks each. I used the silver material taped to 2x4 insulation sheets. Put four around the plant. Open at top to hang the light. Now we have a tent.

Finnicki, this sounds like something that I’d like to try .. can you please kindly post a photo of it? I don’t have a grow tent and have been trying to figure out what to do... I’m new at all of this. Thank you!!!

I have a tent now. Panels are still downstairs. Will photo next time I’m below. We went to a tent this fall as humidity levels fell and temps dropped. A tent is the way to go. We have a 3’x3’x6’. No more ceiling height to go to a bigger tent.

8C7AA206-609B-4F3D-9702-4E9310925B9D.jpeg8AC5AE9B-03E7-47A5-80E4-29865CD450C3.jpeg8540936A-7CC5-4FC4-A3EB-D8F8D8CFC402.jpegHere are a few Picts The backing boards are a foam panel left from insulating the house under the siding. Just taped the thin Mylar sheet to the boards. Panels are 2’x6’. At least two panels can be covered by 1 reflective sheet. Four panels surrounded grow bucket, again taped together. Grow light hung in center opening above.

I looked at these fotos and realized I had taped two panels together to get the height of 6’. It took two of us to get the tent stretched over the metal frame. The air was blue in the basement.

Wow!!! That’s super impressive!!! I have a very small space, so I don’t think this will work for me. Thank you for taking the time to respond and provide these photos!!

Thank you for responding... silly question but is it difficult to set up a tent?
No. I had a harder time setting up a camping tent; of course, that was at a Jerry Daze festival, I was high as hell and of course I don't need no stinkin instructions. :lot-o-toke:
But seriously if you can assemble toys at Christmas for kids (and follow instructions), you should have no problems.

Find your tent size then find a plant that will stay smaller. Or trim it. Figure in the size of the light. Fan/filter can be placed outside of your tent instead of inside to save space.

We are both 60 and I needed her help stretching the tent over the metal frame. Torn ligament in my shoulder has left me weaker that in my earlier decades. We fought getting the fabric squared up in the corners. I’m happy it is snug not just hanging loosely.

What are you going to do?? Basement is drier in the winter. I have a small humidifier in tent now. It was in the room outside the tent originally. We have a heater in room that has been keeping temp near 73 inside tent. A lot of guud information on this site under different forums.

Back
Top Bottom