Is there an odor-proof inline filter

billy13778

i am setting up a 4x4x7 grow room and curious as to how to keep the odors completely away from my neighbors. i am planning on just 3 or 4 plants and looking for some positive feedback on an inline filter system that actually works. size (4,6,8 inch)? CFM? filter type? name brands?
any and all help or recommendations is greatly appreciated

I'd use a 6" Fan & Filter. Not a big difference in Fans unless you go with the Max Fan. I have one now & hate it. It has a built in L / M / H speed switch & Low is too low & medium is too high. You're better off buying a fan that you can use a separate (variable speed controller) with. That way you can set it exactly how you want it.
The Filters pretty much all work. Some just use higher quality materials & last longer. Phresh, Black Ops & Can - Lite are some of the best but a little pricey. A 6" x 24" Phresh Filter runs $100 - $120. They now have come out with one that's a Filter & Duct Silencer all in one. You could get a 6" Vivo Sun filter for about 1/2 that & it will last you around 2 years before it needs new Carbon. Your neighbors probably wont smell it any way unless you live in an apartment or leave your windows & doors open. It will smell up your house though & that's the main reason for using a filter. So nobody smells it when you answer the door.

Are you just setting up this tent? Do you have Lights yet? If so what type of lighting will you be using? You growing Soil, Coco, Hydro, DWC ? Organic or Synthetic (Bottled) Nutrients ? All these things will factor in to how you set up your tent in some way. The other things are Temps & Humidity. Make sure you have a Temp & Humidity Monitor. Accurite sells a decent one for about $15. You will want to keep your tent between 77 - 79 F if possible; but never let it get over 84 F. Your plants will still grow over 84 F but the buds will be light & airy & lose some potency.
If you live where it's hot & dry most the time I would suggest buying a decent size Humidifier. I live in AZ. so I use a 6 gallon one & it uses about 4 gallons a day. During Veg you want your Humidity around 65% - 70% & when in Flower around 45% - 50%.
Not sure what you know & what you don't so throwing out some tips to you for a successful grow.

Are you a DIY kind of person? I have personally built filters out of 5 gallon buckets with active carbon and carbon wraps that work great. If not, the people above gave some solid reccomendations.

Main thing is don't "overdrive" your filter. In other words, make sure it's rated for the amount of air you're moving through it. E.g., if it's rated for 200 CFM and you're moving air at 450 CFM, you're going to have odor issues.

Also if you decide to go the variable speed control route or think you might, make sure the fan is designed for that as some of them it will void the warranty on it if you use one.

I wired a 3 speed fan control from local hardware store inline for my exhaust fan and low is to low the med is almost to slow but keeps a negative pressure on tent the charcoal filter I believe mines an 8” sorry not sure of the brand my fan is a typhoon keeps my basement odour free used it last winter for 5 months and has been idle all summer fired up a couple weeks ago and still working great. Goodluck with your grow!

Also if you decide to go the variable speed control route or think you might, make sure the fan is designed for that as some of them it will void the warranty on it if you use one.

I read before that if a fan with speed control gets turned on at any setting other than Hi it can break. so every time the power has gone out i've turned my fan up to Hi until the power came back on. not sure it there's any truth to this, but it made me paranoid to blow up my fan.

I'm sure you will find what ever help you need on this site. Many Top Tier Growers here that can teach you to grow a pound per plant should you want to. My personal best so far is only 8.5 oz but I'll get there soon. I keep upgrading my equipment every grow. Been doing this for 2 years now & I'll be doing it again after this grow is done. My next set up I plan to get that pound & will be doing a journal on it. I plan to do it with a Northern Lights Auto-Flower & plan to fill the entire 5 x 5 tent with just one plant.

I read before that if a fan with speed control gets turned on at any setting other than Hi it can break. so every time the power has gone out i've turned my fan up to Hi until the power came back on. not sure it there's any truth to this, but it made me paranoid to blow up my fan.
I've always used variable speed controllers on previous grows & never have gone past the medium setting range with no problems at all. Just turn it up little by little till you don't hear the wha, wha, wha sound & you're good to go. That sound means you are not pulling enough air through the filter.

Back
Top Bottom