Is this a good seed or a bad seed?

Iceganja

Hey guys.
This is my first time growing, and I just received some of my seeds, I'm germinating them right now, the thing that worries me was that they did not sink right away like some people said should happen, I let them be for around 10 hours (while I was sleeping) and then checked up on them and they were still floating, I gently poked the seeds and then they sank, I was just wondering if this was normal, and I'm sorry if I'm being a total newbie, just thought if anyone could help you guys could. :)

Yeah just push it under water with your finger. If it doesn't grow a tap root in 3-5 days its probably a dud but i plant those seeds anyway and sometimes they grow.

i have had seeds in a glass of water that never did sink but did grow a taproot after a few days-- i have always put my beans in a glass of water and waited for taproot and have never did the papertowel method---IMO i have no idea why some folks use the papertowel method when they could just fill a cup with water and let the beans alone for 2-3 days and be golden--i have forgot about beans in a cup of water b4 and remembered after a week they all had taproots approx 2" long some had shed the shell and were just roots laying at the bottum of cup and all have grown when planted--seems foolproof to me

straight into soil, breaks surface in 48 hrs, they are off and going before you guys even get started... A good seed= one that sprouts, a bad seed is one that doesn't.....

i have had seeds in a glass of water that never did sink but did grow a taproot after a few days-- i have always put my beans in a glass of water and waited for taproot and have never did the papertowel method---IMO i have no idea why some folks use the papertowel method when they could just fill a cup with water and let the beans alone for 2-3 days and be golden--i have forgot about beans in a cup of water b4 and remembered after a week they all had taproots approx 2" long some had shed the shell and were just roots laying at the bottum of cup and all have grown when planted--seems foolproof to me

For seeds that are fresh this method works well.

If seeds have not been stored properly or are getting older, soaking seeds first and then into a paper towel is your best bet.

For seeds 5 or more years old, soaking them 24hrs and then hand cracking the hard shell/husk of the seed and placing them into paper towels. :thumb:

Ok, if your seed sprouting method is different and works for you :high-five:.

:peace: my brothers and sisters
cocoJoe

Hey guys.
This is my first time growing, and I just received some of my seeds, I'm germinating them right now, the thing that worries me was that they did not sink right away like some people said should happen, I let them be for around 10 hours (while I was sleeping) and then checked up on them and they were still floating, I gently poked the seeds and then they sank, I was just wondering if this was normal, and I'm sorry if I'm being a total newbie, just thought if anyone could help you guys could. :)
old..really old post..but thats totally normal..i never leave seeds past 14 hours..usually only 12 hours is sufficient..if seeds are on the bottom that makes me concerned..

First thing, NEVER touch your seeds with your hands. Who knows what you have touched? Bacteria and other yuck will dampen your seeds. Use clean tweezers. Mix water and grocery store (3%) hydrogen peroxide 20 parts water to one hydrogen. Soak 24 hours. The dilute the water some more and dampen your paper towels. If less than 5 years old they should pop.

Gee thanks, does that mean my information was something that should not be passed around? Why?
Not at all.

I am all for the info, often a surprising amount, that is contained in older messages. The problem is not the older information the new that is added to the conversation. It is that many times it is that new members do not realize that many of the people who originally participated are long gone.

The big problem is when some new members attempt to start a conversation with these long-gone members.

That is why we sometimes see current members participate in a conversation on these older threads and start off by typing something like "I know this is an old thread...".

Back
Top Bottom