Is this a hermie?

dawook4420

Hey everyone! First time grower/first time poster. Hopefully I set up the link to my photos correctly.

So I started with random seeds because I didn't want to risk screwing up at $10+ per feminized seed on my first grow. I have the maximum allowed 6 plants (hooray legalization!) and they've been growing like weeds LOL! I began 12/12 almost 2 weeks ago and to my good fortune, I see pistils on all 6 of my plants. One plant, however, also looks like it has male flowers on 2 or 3 branches but I'm not 100% sure. I've done my homework but of course there is no substitution for experience. So I was hoping you fine folk could help confirm whether my suspicion is right and this is in fact a hermie, or if I'm just jumping the gun. If it is a hermie, I want to get rid of it ASAP, although I've also read that if you're careful, you can snip off the male flowers and keep growing. I don't know that I trust myself to do that properly, but maybe I could cut the branches just below the male flowers or take the branches off altogether? I topped the plant and LST'd it, so there are probably another 8-10 branches that will become colas. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks everyone!!!

image31013.jpeg

View image in gallery

I'd say I'm 80-90+ % sure that it's a hermie by the shape of the object which may be balls(?) shown, but I wouldn't kill it yet based on that.
No need to jump the gun- it can't pollinate anything till it's flowers open.
All I can suggest is to try and get clearer photos of that area to post here, and/or pry some of the 'balls' open and look for yellow flower material. Calyxes shouldn't have any yellow inside.

Thanks Weasel! Getting clearer photos is a challenge. I have a very difficult time getting my camera to focus on such small objects. I did take another picture, though, but now I can't for the life of me figure out how to add it to my gallery with the other three I posted. Long story short, what was yesterday 1 or 2 balls is now 4, just overnight. So I'm also pretty sure these are male flowers. I did as you suggested, though, and plucked a few of them with a pair of tweezers. I then "popped" them as I don't know how to pry them open as you suggested. The contents didn't look yellow though. It was more of a clear fluid that oozed out. Maybe it had a little bit of a yellow tint, but certainly not bright in color. Does this mean anything to you? Also, I didn't get an answer about snipping off the male flowers. Would this be a good way to maybe save the plant or are the balls likely to show up on other branches the further I get into flowering? Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Hey, low and behold, I figured out how to upload it. So here's the 4 balls I was talking about, although the picture quality is not great. Sorry I can't do better. There are actually 4 more on the other side of this branch. Again, thank you for any and all advice!

Definitely male flowers.
When a plant goes hermie later in flowering it usually produces something called 'nanners' - which are a type of hermaphrodite flower. They're fairly controllable. When a plant turns hermie during veg or early flowering it usually doesn't grow nanners, it produces regular male pollen sacs along with female calyxes, as yours has.

What you have is a true hermaphrodite, with male and female flowers. I haven't heard of anyone having any luck controlling the male flowers by removing them- they just keep coming. You can try and see what happens through. My guess is you'll have dozens of them soon, then hundreds.

Thank you Weaselcracker and MsSinful! I check my plants every day! They're my babies! So best to just pull the plant from my garden then, huh?

I'm currently growing a strain where a few plants have shown male parts. Not like yours is doing now though. Mine have just been 1 or 2 male parts on the lower branchs which I just removed.
420-magazine-mobile1764399030.jpg

You do have to be careful removing them because they are much softer and like you said.. just pop.
Because your plant has groups of "balls" I would remove it from my tent. Ideally it's your call though.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'll take your suggestion then, MsSinful, thanks ... as soon as the lights go on again. I'm kind of interested to see what the root system looks like on a mature plant anyways. Oh, the joys of being a first timer! Can't complain, though. 5 true females out of 6 ain't bad! Almost makes me want to not bother with feminized seeds for my next grow. Of course, then I'll end up with 6 males haha! Thanks again!

I love to see new growers excited and doing well. When I first started to grow I used reg seeds because I thought feminized seeds where expensive haha. Before you know it you'll be looking into the genetic side of the cost and start making clones.
I look forward to seeing how things turn out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So I can't bring myself to terminate her/its life just yet. I pulled each of my plants out to inspect and water them today and I happened to notice that a few of them also have little balls popping up - not like the one I pictured that had 4 of them in a line, just one here, one there. Maybe there's more than 1 hermie in there ... I don't know. They all came from the same bag, although I have no idea what the strain is. Based on the shape of the fan leaves it's either an indica or some form of hybrid. But the plant in question didn't appear to have any more balls pop up overnight either. So I think I'm going to leave it in there a little longer and keep a watchful eye. Any idea how long into flowering before the male flowers open up and start pollinating?

Just for the heck of it, I figured I'd throw in a couple pics of my girls. It's my first grow, so I'm a very proud papa. Knock on wood, they've all done great so far - no sign of disease or pests or light/nute burn. Just 6 happy girls (or maybe "its"). Hopefully they stay that way. They're 2 weeks into flower today : )

image21014.jpeg
image1_1_2.jpeg

Bag seed is often created from hermies. It's far more likely to miss a hermie in the room than a male- which would be quite obvious. Seeds created by hermies is likely to produce more hermies.

I think you're right, Weasel. I suspect the seeds came from a hermie parent which would explain why they all seem to be growing balls now - not many, though. I talked to my friend who the bag came from and he was surprised to hear it had seeds in it at all. It wasn't too many, many 12 usable seeds in a 1/2 oz bag with a number of white seeds. So maybe the bag was hermie bud. I remember it not being as high quality as I'm used to getting either. But if these are all hermies then that's ok. I only started with these seeds to get some practice. Now that I have a better idea what I'm doing, I'll get feminized seeds next time. My goal is to never pay for bud again, but seeds I can justify haha!

mikey, mine look nothing like that that I can tell. There seems to be more growth around the balls, but definitely lots of pistils. So I know they're not strictly male plants.

Thanks!

Is this a hermie or to early to tell 2nd week of flowering its purple haze mixed with some local stuff a friend has been growing for years soil is fox farm ocean ph stays around 6.7 to 7.0 about 78 degrees during light about 68-70 at dark been given her Alaskan fish feterlizer for most of veg switched to bloom version of same brand a few days ago no light leaks I'm pretty new to this have helped a friend a few times first time on my on plz help if I missed anything sorry

Back
Top Bottom