Is this fungus gnat damage on my leaves?

Hdinkleman

so i have been posting about this plant, starting to drive me crazy lol.
ok so first i thought i had a magnesium definecy but the last time i watered i noticed quite a few fungus gnat larvae in my coco peat.
i mixed up just a gallon of nutes at ph 6, and added also BT microbe lift to try to combat the pests, im just wondering if these fungus gnat larvae cause leaf twisting and weird mottled looking leaves. the plant is too damn heavy to pull out of the tent but this is a picture of one of the leaves i picked off.
i mean otherwise the plant is growing like crazy it just has these mottled looking leaves and twisted leaves and fungus gnat larvae in the top soil, i thought i was doing a good job on the nutes actually, so maybe i was thinking it was a defiency but it was just the gnats all along? let me know please!!

Im doubting this lb yer looking for is going to happen. Got any pics?

I use a thick layer of mulch on top of the soil to keep the gnats away... it really is a multibeneficial remedy that accomplishes a lot of good things. Your leaf damage however looks like mildew... I am suspecting not enough fan action and too much RH. Your drooping plants also make me want to ask about your watering practices and investigate whether you are properly letting them dry out all the way to the bottom between waterings.

Seems like you and me are having the same issue. I'm growing in Canna coco, also started noticing leaf issues. Checked my pH, EC, got my temp and humidity under control, but I still get the spotted leaves. I'm also using Canna's nutrient grow guide. Just a few days ago I found a fungus gnat, and then 2 more. I've started treating with Azamax. I'll include a few pics of my leaves. If you do some searching you'll find that fungus gnats can 100% reproduce symptoms of Mg deficiency, which makes sense since the larvae eat your roots.

Btw, I don't know about you but there is no chance the fungus gnats came from anywhere else except the coco. I've read of others having problems with gnats in their coco.

Attachments

• 20190222_225340.jpg
    20190222_225340.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 20190222_225327.jpg
    20190222_225327.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 20190219_111120.jpg
    20190219_111120.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 216
Seems like you and me are having the same issue. I'm growing in Canna coco, also started noticing leaf issues. Checked my pH, EC, got my temp and humidity under control, but I still get the spotted leaves. I'm also using Canna's nutrient grow guide. Just a few days ago I found a fungus gnat, and then 2 more. I've started treating with Azamax. I'll include a few pics of my leaves. If you do some searching you'll find that fungus gnats can 100% reproduce symptoms of Mg deficiency, which makes sense since the larvae eat your roots.

Btw, I don't know about you but there is no chance the fungus gnats came from anywhere else except the coco. I've read of others having problems with gnats in their coco.
im pretty positive it was in the canna coco too, because i havent seen any gnats in yhe ffof soil i have been ising that i treated with a bunch of pesticides and let sit in a rubbermaid bin for months before using, the canna coco is packed with them apparently, the larvae are everywhere in the topsoil makes me think they are everywhere else too.
I use a thick layer of mulch on top of the soil to keep the gnats away... it really is a multibeneficial remedy that accomplishes a lot of good things. Your leaf damage however looks like mildew... I am suspecting not enough fan action and too much RH. Your drooping plants also make me want to ask about your watering practices and investigate whether you are properly letting them dry out all the way to the bottom between waterings.
rh is low, i havent gotten higher that 35% and i have three fans going 24/7 in the tent so i dont think its mildew, i have read on different sites that this leaf twisting and crunching is a side effect of the root system being attacked.
my temps are a little high, they hover at 79-80. ph is good and i have a bluelab pen now so its def on point.
i have been following feeding instructions and pretty sure my feeding regimen is good

yes exactly, my earlier posts last week were asking if i had a magnesium defiency, starting to think i never had a defineicy i just had fungus gnat larvae eating the roots the whole time.

the plant right next to it isnt showing any of these leaf issues..... yet i hope it doesnt

Mine are doing the same thing! Except now it looks like 2 are dying off! I had a little gnat problem around maybe 30 or so i corrected using the 3%peroxide at a 1 to 4 ratio with water. Put a gallon and a half of that through about 9 diffrent pots and 3 of them dont look so pretty anymore. Hoping they make it considering i had just topd 2 of them. My rooms kept atb74 to 84 degrees farenheit. And rh of 30 at its low point to 55. Lots of air movement .

yes exactly, my earlier posts last week were asking if i had a magnesium defiency, starting to think i never had a defineicy i just had fungus gnat larvae eating the roots the whole time.

the plant right next to it isnt showing any of these leaf issues..... yet i hope it doesnt
wow... well, knowing that it isnt both plants is a big clue... hate to see that it got so bad that the roots are in trouble from the larvae though and I am clueless what to do in coco about this. Surely there is something you can add to get rid of them... in soil one time I used mosquito dunks and ran that through the soil and that killed them...crop wasnt happy though. Good luck.. and I hope someone comes up with a solution for you. :peace::love:

Did that plant that isnt showing problems have alot of the gnats at the bottom of the plant?

wow... well, knowing that it isnt both plants is a big clue... hate to see that it got so bad that the roots are in trouble from the larvae though and I am clueless what to do in coco about this. Surely there is something you can add to get rid of them... in soil one time I used mosquito dunks and ran that through the soil and that killed them...crop wasnt happy though. Good luck.. and I hope someone comes up with a solution for you. :peace::love:
im using BT microbe loft so im hoping it will kill them off, i was just trying to see whether anyone had had similar experiences with fungus gnat larvae actually affecting the leaves.
was hoping the post and the picture would clarify what it was, and also help out anyone else who could be battling the same type if weird leaf issues and give them an answer as well.
im trying to remeber if this same leaf stuff happened last time i had fungus gnats but i didnt document it

Did that plant that isnt showing problems have alot of the gnats at the bottom of the plant?
what do you mean the bottom of the pot?
the plant is in an airpot, but i wrapped it with bug netting so the flying gnats couldnt shoot in and out if the airpot holes.
it seems the gnats are concentrated in the coco peat plant.

I've killed them in my pots with a 1 to 4 ratio h202 water mix

Think that gets the larve too
scorpio im hoping the BT kills them, ill give it another couple weeks and see what it happens before i try out the h202, only reason being is i dont want to kill whatever microherd i have going right now.
in hindsight i wish i wouldve treated the coco the way i did the ffof before using it to kill all the eggs and other crap that was in the cocopeat.

what seemed to work for me with the dirt was this, and i know it takes some time but the only logical place these bugs can be coming from is the bags of soil i would have to believe.
so i mixed my ff ocean forest with perlite and also with my soil amendments. ( azomite, biochar, langenbite, ec, guano, all types of good shit )
i mixed it all up in a runnermaid tub like this

and then i phed about a half gallon of water with full dose of nutes, mollasses, BT MICROBE LIFT, botanigard es, silica blast and EM-1 and dumped it in and mixed it around real good.

every couple weeks or so i would just open it and mix it around and pour in a little bit more phed water that i had treated with BT MICROBE LIFT, and botanigard es.
after a couple months i just used it like normal and so far so good i havent had any bugs in the soil that is inside this bin.

going to do the same with the coco next time to make sure

After dealing with gnats in coco a couple of times I find the best solution is repeated H202 watering as Chris mentioned. I didn't seem to have have much luck with BTi. Are you seeing them flying about? Yellow sticky insect traps will put a serious dent in their numbers for cheap.

Oh, I've taken to rinsing my coco in a bin of boiling water, dump in enough to soak it thoroughly put on the lid and let it steam til it cools down.. So far I've had exactly zero gnats this way. I keep a yellow sticky trap or two in the tent as indicators just in case though!

After dealing with gnats in coco a couple of times I find the best solution is repeated H202 watering as Chris mentioned. I didn't seem to have have much luck with BTi. Are you seeing them flying about? Yellow sticky insect traps will put a serious dent in their numbers for cheap.
yes i have two sticky card going, only caught 5-6 gnats..... so far

Back
Top Bottom