Is this fungus gnat damage on my leaves?

Oh, I've taken to rinsing my coco in a bin of boiling water, dump in enough to soak it thoroughly put on the lid and let it steam til it cools down.. So far I've had exactly zero gnats this way. I keep a yellow sticky trap or two in the tent as indicators just in case though!
this ia a great idea, its like pasteurizing the coco, too late for the plant already growing though.
just irritating, i thought CANNA was a quality product due to the price.
next bag of soil/coco whatever wont be from ff or canna.
what is the #1 medium to use that 100% isnt going to have bugs? like a brick of coco and then expand it with boiling water?

yes i have two sticky card going, only caught 5-6 gnats..... so far
First time I got gnats I caught probably 5-6 hundred in the first day of having the stickys in the tent! Hopefully your case is a minor one! I found they come in waves as new generations come up, or that's how it seemed at least.

Don't necessarily blame the source for this problem. Bugs can appear in the distribution and supply chain too. There is no soil line immune to this problem. Just take it as a given that any soil/medium brought into your garden has the potential to be compromised and sterilize it as it hits your door. 20 minutes in the oven will cure any soil of bugs, as well as the composting idea presented above.

this ia a great idea, its like pasteurizing the coco, too late for the plant already growing though.
just irritating, i thought CANNA was a quality product due to the price.
next bag of soil/coco whatever wont be from ff or canna.
what is the #1 medium to use that 100% isnt going to have bugs? like a brick of coco and then expand it with boiling water?
Honestly after dealing with it a couple times I've given up on trying to find a "clean" brand. Ya I usually use the bricks and hydrate them with boiling water straight from the kettle.

First time I got gnats I caught probably 5-6 hundred in the first day of having the stickys in the tent! Hopefully your case is a minor one! I found they come in waves as new generations come up, or that's how it seemed at least.
either that or all the larvae are just starting to turn into adults, i think i just caught the larvae crawling around probably when they first started, until the past couple days havent seen any.
the eggs mustve been in the canna cocopeat and just started hatching, im starting to see them flying now at this stage of their life cycle

Don't necessarily blame the source for this problem. Bugs can appear in the distribution and supply chain too. There is no soil line immune to this problem. Just take it as a given that any soil/medium brought into your garden has the potential to be compromised and sterilize it as it hits your door. 20 minutes in the oven will cure any soil of bugs, as well as the composting idea presented above.
what do you think about getting a coco brick and then hydrating it with boiling water? wouldnt that be pretty foolproof?
just trying to do the easiest way to start with a sterile medium.

either that or all the larvae are just starting to turn into adults, i think i just caught the larvae crawling around probably when they first started, until the past couple days havent seen any.
the eggs mustve been in the canna cocopeat and just started hatching, im starting to see them flying now at this stage of their life cycle
Yup, well hopefully you caught it in time before it gets crazy. As fas as the leaf issue not sure about that, I never noticed anything like that on mine but the larvae do eat the fine root hairs apparently so it can't be good!

Honestly after dealing with it a couple times I've given up on trying to find a "clean" brand. Ya I usually use the bricks and hydrate them with boiling water straight from the kettle.
awesome i was posting when you posted this, i think its probably a good bet.
had a couple soil grows think straight coco is my next attempt, im growing in the coco peat now so hopefully that will help a little with the learning curve

awesome i was posting when you posted this, i think its probably a good bet.
had a couple soil grows think straight coco is my next attempt, im growing in the coco peat now so hopefully that will help a little with the learning curve
Be sure to close it up in a bucket or something after adding the boiling water, it will stay hot as hell for a couple hours. Maybe it doesn't matter but I figure the longer it stays hot the better.

Be sure to close it up in a bucket or something after adding the boiling water, it will stay hot as hell for a couple hours. Maybe it doesn't matter but I figure the longer it stays hot the better.
yea i used to pasteurize coco like this to grow mushrooms years ago
put the coco and vermiculite inside a 5 gallon bucket, dump in the boiling water, close the lid and let it sit 24 hrs

Do you smoke cigs or anyone who has been around the plants?
i have not smoked a cigarette since dec 1, i use a ecig but i only use it outside, all my air in the apartment is clean.
noone and i mean noone has been into my place in quite some time, so noone has used tobacco inside for a while.
growweedeasy.com seems to have a lot of fear mongering and bro science IMO, i have a hard time believing this is TMV, partly because i remeber having some similar leaf issues last grow when i also had fungus gnats, hoping the BT kills them off, after a couple weeks going to break out the h202 lile scorpio said

i have not smoked a cigarette since dec 1, i use a ecig but i only use it outside, all my air in the apartment is clean.
noone and i mean noone has been into my place in quite some time, so noone has used tobacco inside for a while.
growweedeasy.com seems to have a lot of fear mongering and bro science IMO, i have a hard time believing this is TMV, partly because i remeber having some similar leaf issues last grow when i also had fungus gnats, hoping the BT kills them off, after a couple weeks going to break out the h202 lile scorpio said
I'm no expert on tmv but I understand it's pretty easily transmitted. Or it could just be a leaf issue that kind of looks like tmv, I'm really not sure at all. I've got to run but best of luck! Let us know what happens down the road..

I'm no expert on tmv but I understand it's pretty easily transmitted. Or it could just be a leaf issue that kind of looks like tmv, I'm really not sure at all. I've got to run but best of luck! Let us know what happens down the road..
plant growth is exploding for lack of a better term, im getting new shoots shooting up every day and also defoliating quite a bit to “lollipop” the shoots so i dont know, ill keep posting to update. this is a side pic, hard to tell but those new shoots popping above the canopy is from 24hrs of growth, because i pinned her back down yeaterday at this same exact time.

I roll my eyes every time I see someone mention TMV. It is so extremely rare, most of us will never see it, yet as you say, it becomes a very common and very scary diagnosis heard from the bro science crowd.
yeah i know, when i first started growing i was using that growweedeasy site for refereence and i had a bunch of stuff written down in a notebook on “how to grow”
i looked back through the notebook the other day and realized how much i had written down was complete poppycock

Back
Top Bottom