anyoannie

420 Member
Help me to understand if this plant is ready for harvesting. Pistils are brown and curled, leaves are yellowing, sugar leaves also started their yellowing process, that’s why I’m worrying, but I can’t see amber trichomes, only clear or cloudy. What should I do?

Attachments

• A3F387B0-9DBB-4D6A-906F-EFA6274D61C8.jpeg
    A3F387B0-9DBB-4D6A-906F-EFA6274D61C8.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 1E4CB842-A719-4CAC-AD65-D91A58A806BA.jpeg
    1E4CB842-A719-4CAC-AD65-D91A58A806BA.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 305
  • 5B2729F5-CD07-44F3-A6E5-EC7716F17F18.jpeg
    5B2729F5-CD07-44F3-A6E5-EC7716F17F18.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 304
It can be if you wish. Looks like you are are getting cloudy tricomes... some like to go a little longer for 10% amber. If you havnt done the flush yet, I would recommend that prior to harvest.

Edit: I had another look, i still see some that are only half cloudy... so start the flush soon.

What strain is it. Some sativa heavy strains don't always get many amber trichomes. Yours is close with the cloudy ones. It's into you when to take it. Cloudy is when they are at their peak. When they go amber they have peaked and are starting to degrade. Clear gives you a racier high. Amber more mellow the high.

What strain is it. Some sativa heavy strains don't always get many amber trichomes. Yours is close with the cloudy ones. It's into you when to take it. Cloudy is when they are at their peak. When they go amber they have peaked and are starting to degrade. Clear gives you a racier high. Amber more mellow the high.

Bang on dude (or dudette! )

He is definitely close! :)
Just depends what type of high they are seeking. I still recommend a flush if they havnt already!:)

This plants is ready basically, but you can let her grow a few more days if you like the idea. I'd take her in 3-4 days personally.

Really need to put a stop to this flushing debacle

"Flushing" to rid the bud of nutes is, and always was, bro science. This has FINALLY been proven.

In a nut shell

The effects of flushing were also investigated to determine whether it had the intended effect of reducing nutrient concentrations within the dried bud. Through the use of psychrometers, water status (cWP) thresholds were correlated with humidity (cVPD) thresholds and reduced irrigation frequency resulting in water use reductions up to 45.7% which had negligible impacts on yield and cannabinoid profile. Flushing was found to be ineffective in removing any significant amount of nutrient from the bud.

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

Section 6.2 if you want to fast forward. Essentially use water the last two weeks since there is no impact on yield, but using water isn't causing the bud to use up stored nutes (aka bro science)

This has FINALLY been proven.
who proved it?? It has not been proven in my tents. Flushing at the end in a synthetic grow accomplishes several things and is very beneficial, if only to get rid of the salts that have built up in the high nute 6-7 week period so as to allow the roots to have full unrestricted uptake of water at the end. To advise people not to do it in my opinion is reckless and irresponsible. Not everyone grows the same or has the same issues at the end. It is not all about getting the taste of nutes out of the product, as witnessed by my TLO grows where the nutes are always in the soil but it is about maintaining healthy roots right up to the end and showing the plants that the end is nigh.

In have flushed before I knew better. It doesn't do anything for taste of potency but I am a coco/hydro grower. I stopped flushing entirely. If it makes you feel better go for it but it's been proven not to have an effect on nutrients in the buds. Like stated it's an outdated practice.

And I will restate that in soil, when using synthetic nutes, flushing does make a difference. Even if I concede the point to you that it has no major effect on the amount of nutes in the bud, certain nutes, even in minute amounts, can affect the taste to a discerning palate. Especially when we are talking about the very noticeable tinny taste of magnesium still left in the bud, you can argue till you are blue in the face that it makes no difference, but it does to me. Flushing all of the nutes out of the soil and then only running water for the last two weeks made an appreciable difference in the taste of my pot.
There is another reason however that we flush in soil, when using synthetic nutes and to dismiss this practice as an outdated practice, especially when you are on a new member's thread trying to help them understand basics, is something that is inexcusable. This became a "practice" for a very good reason and to try to pass it off as old school and no longer applicable to this new generation of super growers, is outrageously irresponsible.
So maybe it will help to explain the science as to why it is important to flush at the end of the grow cycle:
In weeks 5-7 we push the plants as hard as we can to develop the buds. This period is when we throw everything we have at the plants and during this 3 week period of heavy nutes the salt and other debris really builds up in the soil. The last two weeks are when the buds double in size, putting on the maximum amount of weight not only in bud size but also in resin production. In this last two weeks we need the roots to be able to uptake more water than ever before.
Without flushing at the end, your roots are going to be restricted from this increased uptake because of the salts sitting there clogging up things. The only way to get maximum bud swell is to flush that salt out.
So with one side of your keyboard you say flushing is old school and does no good, and then after I come in, with the other side of your keyboard you say flushing to get rid of salt is fine.
You can't use both sides of this argument. You either recommend to the new member that it is best to flush at the end or best not to flush... you can't recommend both and be cogent at the same time.

You're talking about two different "flushes". One being buildup of salts in the soil and another of build up of nutes in the bud. So I'll turn this around, you can't use both sides of this argument. I don't think anyone here has said flushing because toxicity or excess salts that ARE CAUSING PROBLEMS is wrong.

"There is another reason however that we flush in soil, when using synthetic nutes and to dismiss this practice as an outdated practice, especially when you are on a new member's thread trying to help them understand basics, is something that is inexcusable. This became a "practice" for a very good reason and to try to pass it off as old school and no longer applicable to this new generation of super growers, is outrageously irresponsible."

Since when do people flush just to flush? Synthetic nutes or not? Again, flushing should be reserved for toxicity.

"Especially when we are talking about the very noticeable tinny taste of magnesium still left in the bud, you can argue till you are blue in the face that it makes no difference, but it does to me".

So...it's already been proven otherwise but because you seem to think you can taste magnesium science is wrong. I will not argue until I am blue in the face, it's simple. You're incorrect.

"You can't use both sides of this argument. You either recommend to the new member that it is best to flush at the end or best not to flush... you can't recommend both and be cogent at the same time"

All we're doing is educating that flushing to help with the taste and nute concentration in the flower is FALSE, as proven. Not one post has recommended both sides here.

Buildup of nutes in the bud HAS BEEN PROVEN BY SCIENCE to have NO EFFECT by flushing. Believe what you want, but telling someone their wrong and sticking to your own science is..."outrageously irresponsible" and THE definition of stoner science. Poor advice to give a new grower.

Really need to put a stop to this flushing debacle

"Flushing" to rid the bud of nutes is, and always was, bro science. This has FINALLY been proven.

In a nut shell

The effects of flushing were also investigated to determine whether it had the intended effect of reducing nutrient concentrations within the dried bud. Through the use of psychrometers, water status (cWP) thresholds were correlated with humidity (cVPD) thresholds and reduced irrigation frequency resulting in water use reductions up to 45.7% which had negligible impacts on yield and cannabinoid profile. Flushing was found to be ineffective in removing any significant amount of nutrient from the bud.

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

Section 6.2 if you want to fast forward. Essentially use water the last two weeks since there is no impact on yield, but using water isn't causing the bud to use up stored nutes (aka bro science)

6.2 FLUSHING NUTRIENTS FROM GROWTH MEDIA
The practice of flushing is a
current common industry practice but there is no
evidence in published literature of its effectiveness in reducing nutrient concentration
s within the bud or even whether or not this is a desirable result. After testing the nutrient
concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no
significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This

result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within
the bud has no effect

I think this sums up your point. If people want to do it have at it but it's only a feel good effort in my opinion.

edit: I guess you addressed it.

In the wilds or even using organic methods the nutrients would already be in the soil and H2O would be clean and neutral and 'flat' rain water. Nature is rarely wrong. Mind you, hydro methods provide nutes in H2O so I would say why limit ongoing growth, plus the nutes are not stored in the buds, they are converted to THC or plant cells during photosytnthesis.

What I want to know is whether certain conditions promote flowing extension. Growing outdoors the plant is adapted to natural cycles and growth begins to decline and leaves turn yellow as the sun intensity declines and it lowers on the skyline. How much longer using controlled conditions can flowering be extended?

The answer is yes... FoxFarm has a supplement called Cha-Ching, which is a heavy phosphorus load for the end of flower, so as to promote resin production. The warning is right on the package... this may extend the flowering season. You can overgrow this plant past its regular flowering period. This is an easy way to force seeds out of a feminized plant. The plant will eventually die since this is written into its genetic code... but as long as there is life, there is a need to make that seed. Give the plant the nutrients and time it needs to do it, and it will.
Regarding this BS about not flushing... again, and till I am blue in the face from saying it... If you don't flush magnesium out at the end, I can tell the difference in taste of the final product. The study may say that significant changes in nutrient levels in the buds can not be detected, but I will continue to say that significant or not, the slight reduction in amount of harvested magnesium makes a huge difference to me. The study apparently did not consult someone with as discerning of a palate as mine, to add a subjective analysis based solely on taste.

I've heard Harley Smith the scientist at Raw give some fairly compelling suggestion in the way of flushing that would lend to its credibility. Ultimately he's a partner with a stake, but if you haven't studied what yucca extract can do then it may shed some light. After using a yucca flush my harvest took on a never before cinnamon aroma as it cured so I think its a little more than a theory plus if the lady says she can taste the difference you can be certain that would be a factor in her buying criteria. To the op, Yes any time now looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom