Is this really bud rot or some kind of plant virus?

smokedvw

So as I have seen my plants get more and more mold on them I have noticed a pattern, originally I thought this might be airborne and then got onto the plants via wind from some molding tomatoes and strawberries near by.

The thing I find now is that every branch of my plant which had exposed bark and the heavy black/grey mold on it seems to have gotten it the worst.

I have also noticed that it always has the same pattern. Where a flower is at the very base where the stem attaches to the branch I notice 1 brown bud. It is always starting this way, and then when I leave it the top of that flower will get moldy. I then notice that the stem will also go brown. If I cut open a fresh flower I will notice the brown in the stem. I am assuming this is some kind of virus at this point or is that how "bud mold" happens?

The reason I'm asking is that I would really like to know for the future.

The other very interesting thing is that when I didn't water a plant this mold did not grow on the branches with exposed bark (Current temp is 14*C-7*C at night, 57F). I can also see the plant trying to almost kill off certain branches as they were way more dried out than others. I took a photo to show this. I have noticed that when it was more humid outside and raining (though these are all covered) the mold on the branches/stems will grow back way faster. Currently I have stopped watering to try to dry out my garden bed and plant in a single pot and I noticed that at the same time no mold has gone on the branches though it is still spreading through the cola and flowers.

The main reason I'm also trying to track this down is that I have 2 remaining hybrids that also exhibit this type of mold on the branches, I plan to put hydrogen peroxide on them and then seal them with tuck tape. But I wonder if this is more in the roots or inside the plant and really cant be stopped.

I was trying to keep my plants going to get the tricombs cloudy but I felt like I had to daily go out and spend an hour cutting mold off 4 plants.

Any thoughts on this pattern of browning bud at the base of the flower. It's always beside the fan leaf and then spreads into the actual flower part at the top.\

stem mold.pngsmall brown bud.pngMold stem.pngdry leaves.png

Judging by your description and the pictures it looks like bud rot to me. My advice would be to remove any effected buds and discard them. I wouldn't bother with the h202 spray just remove the moldy stuff and keep an eye out for more of it. That stuff can spread fast you may just have to harvest your plants.

Judging by your description and the pictures it looks like bud rot to me. My advice would be to remove any effected buds and discard them. I wouldn't bother with the h202 spray just remove the moldy stuff and keep an eye out for more of it. That stuff can spread fast you may just have to harvest your plants.

what about the stuff on the stem? just chop that whole section off? after barfing?

Give this a read. I think you have the first type listed.

@Oldbear same location. Same shit.

I wish I cut line all down when I first saw this early September. I think I lost about 1/2 my total crop waiting for tricombs to go milky and finish flowering.

First year growing. The crazy amount of time I had to spend cutting mold out daily was not worth the effort in the end.

Back
Top Bottom