Is This Your Homework Larry? Seedsman Skunk #1 In Soil

Ok here is what we are looking at.
The two bins, small one is the clay mixed into soil. Gypsum and bat guano added.
View media item 1644051
We want to put the contents of one bin into the other.
View media item 1644052
This is the mix, the clay was on the bottom, and the soil blend on top. I mixed it up and added the gypsum to give it more exposure to try and help break down the clay.
View media item 1644050
There are some big chunks. I think this is some special stuff. It was deposited by glaciation, as the glaciers formed this region. At one point in history this area was the scene of a massive lake cause by ice damns hundreds of miles south in the mountain. As rivers enter lakes, the heaviest deposits happen first, leaving rocks and boulders on the shores. The further you go the finer the material. It settles and voila, clay, and actually this area also has all the glacial rock till you could ever use. I’d you had a way to grind it up. I harvested big chunks, oven dried it, broke it into smaller chunks like this before I used a cheese grater to make it super fine as part of my rock dust mix.
View media item 1644048
Close of of the finer material in the clay mix bin.
View media item 1644049
Finally we have this little guy in the big bin of soil. Feeling like he is in heaven with all the food and space. I added a small amount of water soluble humic acid to that bin today as well.
View media item 1644047
Oh I also thought of this since the ol duder May not always listen to y’alls advice but I hear it. Cannabis likes paramagnetic soil. Wood is actually the opposite. Which I added a fair amount of in the form of that brown cubic rot. So by adding more of the actual rock concentration to the soil mix, I may improve that aspect of the soil. Make it more paramagnetic.

The two bins, small one is the clay mixed into soil. Gypsum and bat guano added.
View media item 1644051
View media item 1644052
This is the mix, the clay was on the bottom, and the soil blend on top. I mixed it up and added the gypsum to give it more exposure to try and help break down the clay.
View media item 1644050
There are some big chunks. I think this is some special stuff. It was deposited by glaciation, as the glaciers formed this region. At one point in history this area was the scene of a massive lake cause by ice damns hundreds of miles south in the mountain. As rivers enter lakes, the heaviest deposits happen first, leaving rocks and boulders on the shores. The further you go the finer the material. It settles and voila, clay, and actually this area also has all the glacial rock till you could ever use. I’d you had a way to grind it up. I harvested big chunks, oven dried it, broke it into smaller chunks like this before I used a cheese grater to make it super fine as part of my rock dust mix.
View media item 1644048
View media item 1644049
Finally we have this little guy in the big bin of soil. Feeling like he is in heaven with all the food and space. I added a small amount of water soluble humic acid to that bin today as well.
View media item 1644047
Oh I also thought of this since the ol duder May not always listen to y’alls advice but I hear it. Cannabis likes paramagnetic soil. Wood is actually the opposite. Which I added a fair amount of in the form of that brown cubic rot. So by adding more of the actual rock concentration to the soil mix, I may improve that aspect of the soil. Make it more paramagnetic.
I will watch im interested to see what comes of this I no some is good just don't no how much but im pretty sure if your adding gypsum you will need some lime or something like that to balance the mix ph wise!

I will watch im interested to see what comes of this I no some is good just don't no how much but im pretty sure if your adding gypsum you will need some lime or something like that to balance the mix ph wise!
Yeah I wanted to get some dolomite last week, because I thought I was having ph issues. I might pick some up this week.

So I got around to making Emilyas homemade calcium recipe.

Clean dry eggshells were baked and crushed, toasted, and ground manually in a mortar and pestle. I put 3 ounces of eggshells in a glass vase and added 12 ounces of organic apple cider vinegar. I will seal it up later and it sits for 20 days before being strained.

View media item 1644358
View media item 1644359

I also tested my storage bin. It is closer to being ideal than the bins. But, I just added all that clay soil to the bin, so it may not be accurate anymore. But it’s looking good overall.
View media item 1644360
I couldn’t believe how easily I broke up that clay after adding gypsum and water. Big rock hard chunks of clay crumbled in my hand like nothing.

View media item 1644051
View media item 1644052
View media item 1644050
View media item 1644048
View media item 1644049
View media item 1644047

Eathworm Jim.

Pretty sure gypsum is a ph buffer in itself...correct me if im wrong..Love the idea of you getting your materials from the land though! Id say go for it :thumb:

Humus and rock dusts is all you need, and that bin will have a plethora of both!
Gypsum is neutral and doesn't move pH much as opposed to Oyster Shell Flour which will drift upwards. I still use both as sources of calcium, but I tend to prefer the Gypsum due to the neutral/Steady pH.

Yeah I have oyster shell flour in my rock dusts and have been quite liberal with those in my soil bins. Plus all the DE dusting I have been doing.

i think the Skunk is feeling better, the CB Dream is not having the training and has decided it’s tall enough. The Crown Royale continues its beast mode trek to the land of pollination, but I don’t have the heart to tell it the truth.

Even after raising the net a few inches they still are poking out pretty good. 20+ tops on the CR, 12 on the Skunk1 and 8ish on the CBDream.

The Liberty haze is a bit slow. It’s got 3 or 4 weeks to get bigger before we start flipping the tent. We shall see.

Just wanted to get signed in for the ride! Going back to catch up a little bit now, but ill be around. Looking very good over here so far.
"Don't panic...it's organic!"

:goodjob:
Hey Big Sparks! Glad to have you pop in. Feel free to jump in and provide some insight if you see me going off the rails lol. I haven’t stressed my plants out this much in a long time. Hopefully things work out. At any rate, happy to have you lurking around

Hey Big Sparks! Glad to have you pop in. Feel free to jump in and provide some insight if you see me going off the rails lol. I haven’t stressed my plants out this much in a long time. Hopefully things work out. At any rate, happy to have you lurking around

Man i hear ya...I've got a few girls in flower right now in some 3-4th run los cootstyle that was NOT AMENDED the last 2 runsand boy do they look rough! Solid purple stems. Tried to top dress with some kelp meal, biolive, and compost/earthworm castings mix and must have been too hot! Fried most of my leaves. Oh well. We'll still get them to the end.

Got home last night and puffed a few bowls outta the water bong. Got around to thinking while I rolled myself a gaming joint.

My wife gave me her aquarium ph test kit and I decided to test my water. I am starting to believe my issues are all ph related. Those of you who suggested that, I owe it to you to find out.

Now I am not 100% on the accuracy of this kit. But this is what I found.

Here is the kits colour codes for the various tests
View media item 1646398
Added some water to the tube.
View media item 1646397
Add a few drops of the test liquid.
View media item 1646399
This was the result of my storage bucket of water. Seems very high to me. Again, not sure about the kit, it’s for fish not plain water but. It’s tweaked my interest.
View media item 1646400
So I tested it right out of the tap. It’s lower but still pretty high.
View media item 1646401
Not one to put all my money on one test, I retested the main bucket. Again pretty much the same as the first test. Too high.
View media item 1646402
So I dug around and found some goodies I knew I may have to use one day.
View media item 1646403

But all my issues, could be explained by my water ph being off, if it is indeed that high. So I will bust out the ph pen and calibrate it to remove this variable from the equation.

Back
Top Bottom