Isopropyl Alcohol or 151 Proof Everclear

gorillamotorss

My state does not allow 190 proof Everclear. Can I substitute 151 proof Everclear for the 190 or should I use USP Grade 99.5% Isopropyl Alcohol instead? Opinions??

Mail order some food grade ethanol; you can buy a gallon of it for $90 at Lab Alley

You can find 200 proof grain alcohol with heptane(great for extraction). I just ordered 5 gallons for about $130 from shopbvv.com . I've been using Iso, but since it is toxic, I really like the idea of ethanol. As I understand it, heptane @4% is not a problem, and it is used to extract oils commercially.

You can find 200 proof grain alcohol with heptane(great for extraction). I just ordered 5 gallons for about $130 from shopbvv.com . I've been using Iso, but since it is toxic, I really like the idea of ethanol. As I understand it, heptane @4% is not a problem, and it is used to extract oils commercially.
The only 5 gallons for $130 I see there is for pure heptane. Do you plan on adding it to something or using 100% heptane. The only 200 proof food grade 5 gallons is $220 and that is without heptane.

Mail order some food grade ethanol; you can buy a gallon of it for $90 at Lab Alley
Thanks Elvin, been getting mine at the hydro store for 129.00.

The only 5 gallons for $130 I see there is for pure heptane. Do you plan on adding it to something or using 100% heptane. The only 200 proof food grade 5 gallons is $220 and that is without heptane.
[/QU BVV™'s Ultra High Purity Lab Grade 710 Extraction solvent it contains a blend of 95% Food grade/USP/ACS 200 proof ethanol, corn-based, and denatured with 4.5% high purity N-Heptane. This solvent is standard across the industry and has been formulated to alleviate the cost of the Federal Excise Tax on alcohol while still being viable for the highest quality extractions.

Hi everyone.

So thrilled to find this current topic, since I'm trying to figure this out too.
I assume everyone is talking about making RSO and not tincture?

I've made RSO a few times. The instructions for RSO always say to use 99% ISO, but I've always used Everclear (I can buy it here in MA).

I've read that using ISO extracts more and produces a better result; so I'd like to try it. However, I'm under the impression that isopropyl alcohol has poisonous additives to prevent people from drinking it. I know you boil off all (very nearly all) of the alcohol, but what about the additive? I know people aren't worried about "trace amounts" given the minuscule doses of RSO that are consumed, but if just freaks me out a bit. I'd still rather not use isopropyl unless there really are benefits to counter it - like much better extraction, or less viscous, etc.

I can get Isopropyl Alcohol Grade 99% Anhydrous - 4 Gallon for $129.05 ($0.25/fl oz) off Amazon; so it's pretty tempting to use that for cost reasons. My Everclear (actually Graves brand 95% abv) is $33 for 1.75 liters.

ALSO - sorry if this should be a new thread... let me know.
Can I reclaim Isopropyl alcohol in the same fashion as Everclear by using a water distiller?

Thanks!

Hi everyone.

So thrilled to find this current topic, since I'm trying to figure this out too.
I assume everyone is talking about making RSO and not tincture?

I've made RSO a few times. The instructions for RSO always say to use 99% ISO, but I've always used Everclear (I can buy it here in MA).

I've read that using ISO extracts more and produces a better result; so I'd like to try it. However, I'm under the impression that isopropyl alcohol has poisonous additives to prevent people from drinking it. I know you boil off all (very nearly all) of the alcohol, but what about the additive? I know people aren't worried about "trace amounts" given the minuscule doses of RSO that are consumed, but if just freaks me out a bit. I'd still rather not use isopropyl unless there really are benefits to counter it - like much better extraction, or less viscous, etc.

I can get Isopropyl Alcohol Grade 99% Anhydrous - 4 Gallon for $129.05 ($0.25/fl oz) off Amazon; so it's pretty tempting to use that for cost reasons. My Everclear (actually Graves brand 95% abv) is $33 for 1.75 liters.

ALSO - sorry if this should be a new thread... let me know.
Can I reclaim Isopropyl alcohol in the same fashion as Everclear by using a water distiller?

Thanks!
I use a stove top still from Amazon for solvent recovery. I get about 60-70% back. 200 proof ethanol with 4% heptane from bvv.com---5 gallons delivered for $130. BTW, as I understand it, Rick Simpson settled on ISO because of problems getting 200 proof ethanol in Canada.

Speaking as an old meth lab cook (true Birch, modified Birch ( I can even make my own Anhydrous Ammonia in the lab instead of stealing it from a farmer) and red phosphorous are in my repertoire; not that idiot "crush and stir" garbage nor the "shake-and-bake" trash) one can always distill their own.
Throw away the first and last out of the still (methanol may be present at those points) on the first run and a very careful second run will push close to 200 proof and the third run will get you there if you halfway decent about your lab skills.

Speaking as an old meth lab cook (true Birch, modified Birch ( I can even make my own Anhydrous Ammonia in the lab instead of stealing it from a farmer) and red phosphorous are in my repertoire; not that idiot "crush and stir" garbage nor the "shake-and-bake" trash) one can always distill their own.
Throw away the first and last out of the still (methanol may be present at those points) on the first run and a very careful second run will push close to 200 proof and the third run will get you there if you halfway decent about your lab skills.
As we are starting with an alcohol solution with oils and waxes, everything that comes off below 180-190F should be ethanol/ISO (you will pick up a super low bit of water from the air) .

Bush Doctor 77
Is this the alcohol you bought? If not send a link to it.

Bush Doctor 77
Is this the alcohol you bought? If not send a link to it.
That's it. There's a red bar on the page for more info.

Back
Top Bottom