Itching to harvest & aphids

Bob32014

My first grow. Indoor.
It's 8 weeks + into flowering.
Two of my 4 plants have aphid. I tried spraying with a combo of neem oil and pyrithrum and another ingredient (vegetable safe) and it killed about 90% of the little buggers but the 10% just rapidly multiply again. I tried flicking them off with a soft paint brush but it's too time consuming.
I'm afraid the other two will get infested also.
The trichomes look clear to milky so I'm leaning on just harvesting before the problem gets worse.
Advice?????
Thanks in advance.

Also, when I'm harvesting-drying, can I still use the buds that the aphid have been attacking? They couldn't have eaten that much, I think????

They get way under the buds and hide out.
But good idea. Maybe one of those computer keyboard vacuums.
I wouldn't want to have to dig the buds out of my Hoover dust bag.

Aphids really love to get deep into the buds,and they don't leave when you dry them-they just keep sucking till they die of thirst.
You don't really want to spray the buds with neem oil unless harvest is a month or more away-you smelled it,right? so you don't want the buds to taste like neem oil smells...
I've sprayed them with a weak homemade nicotine mixture,and it works well-I use the my vape nicotine,but you can make some out of any form of tobacco-google "nicotine bug spray" for various recipes.
You also might want to check this aphid info from the Royal Queen seeds website:
Killing them won't get them out of the buds,though-they just die and stay there...Bud washing doesn't get them out,either-I've tried it...it gets a few,but most of them don't wash out.
I've got 4 oz of aphid bud in my freezer right now-don't really want to smoke that many bugs,but I had a real bad infestation-hopefully you can kill most of them before they take over your plants...

Thanks, I'll check out that link.
I think the neem oil pyrethrum combo must be very mild because I don't smell anything.
I'm going to just harvest the plants and smoke the buds, aphid and whatever else is in there. I've put too much time and effort and money into the plants to do otherwise.
I think they are ready for harvest anyway since it's been flowering since March 7 and seeds are forming. The aphid took care of the trichomes right away. I think it must be like candy to them.
Can I use the seeds that are forming to make more pot?

Thanks, I'll check out that link.
I think the neem oil pyrethrum combo must be very mild because I don't smell anything.
I'm going to just harvest the plants and smoke the buds, aphid and whatever else is in there. I've put too much time and effort and money into the plants to do otherwise.
I think they are ready for harvest anyway since it's been flowering since March 7 and seeds are forming. The aphid took care of the trichomes right away. I think it must be like candy to them.
Can I use the seeds that are forming to make more pot?
yes you can use the seeds
pretty sure you gotta get some botanigard ES if you want to get rid of the aphids. if you are going to stick with organic pesticides you gotta stay on top of the game.
using the cheap ones like neem and pyrethrum doesnt do a whole lot. they are more of a preventative, good luck using them for a infestation.
Botanigard is 84$ online, thats how i had to get it

Aphids don't eat trichomes,they only suck juice out of the leaves.
Are your trichomes going away? Can you post a pic?

if you are going to use neem oil gotta start using it from the start and maintain a 2 times a week schedule for maximum effectiveness.
i also have pyrethrum, i mix it with the neem.
i am too lazy to dig it out, but i also have spinosad. i dont know if it works on aphids though, dont have the bottle in front of me.
botanigard will get rid of them. once they are gone, thats when you want to maintain a preventative with the neem/pyrethrum.
you gotta think neem and pyrethrum is just like a coating you are putting on the plant. you are always going to miss spots so its impossible to rid a infestation with it. botanigard is a systemic i think

Spinosad is "the $hit" for getting rid of aphids...interesting fact-you
can also use it for head lice,hopefully,that need never arises....

Thanks, is: "the $hit", good or bad? It used to be bad. Is Shit good now? I know it's organic. Orange is the new black. And Fly is good and Bad is now Good.
Please clue an old timer in.

Aphids don't eat trichomes,they only suck juice out of the leaves.
Are your trichomes going away? Can you post a pic?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will absolutely do all that.
Yes trichomes were the first to go bye bye.
Buds look OK, just not as good looking as the plants that aren't affected.

Sorry,I was out,or I would have clarified...good is also "The Shizz" according to my kids...
Hard to keep up with this language of ours....:)

if you are continually battling aphids and have a serious problem you prob are gonna want to invest in the botanigard. use that with the captain jacks spinosad for a 2 part system to kill all of them.
after you killed them alternate using the spinosad and neem/pyrethrum each once a week to prevent them from coming back

Aphids really love to get deep into the buds,and they don't leave when you dry them-they just keep sucking till they die of thirst.
You don't really want to spray the buds with neem oil unless harvest is a month or more away-you smelled it,right? so you don't want the buds to taste like neem oil smells...
I've sprayed them with a weak homemade nicotine mixture,and it works well-I use the my vape nicotine,but you can make some out of any form of tobacco-google "nicotine bug spray" for various recipes.
You also might want to check this aphid info from the Royal Queen seeds website:
Killing them won't get them out of the buds,though-they just die and stay there...Bud washing doesn't get them out,either-I've tried it...it gets a few,but most of them don't wash out.
I've got 4 oz of aphid bud in my freezer right now-don't really want to smoke that many bugs,but I had a real bad infestation-hopefully you can kill most of them before they take over your plants...
I would sink my buds In a water pail and ether drown them little sh#ts or wait for them to come up for air.

Thanks,
I clipped off the fan leaves and sugar leaves and knocked the stems against a table and lots of them came off. There weren't that many after spraying them a week or so ago.
The ones that didn't drop off are getting smoked after drying and curing. Should be quite a ride for the little "suckers".

Aphids late in flower spray with spinosad, wait 2 days, harvest and bud wash. Spray all the other plants with spinosad.

Bud wash needs to be done quickly after harvest. Those fvckers die and eating the plants and are stuck there. Very difficult to get them off the flowers. Maybe bud wash with warm water rinse.

Aphids suck .

wait for them to come up for air.

And burn em in a fire.

Back
Top Bottom