It's Time To Build A Grow Light

Can you spot the error? The work-around is in place.

full

There's a Mistake Somewhere in There

So are you saying it's not going to be entirely centered? I don't suppose that will affect the overall performance of the lights much.
It looks great. Nice job from this DIY light's perspective
:thumb:

So are you saying it's not going to be entirely centered? I don't suppose that will affect the overall performance of the lights much.
It looks great. Nice job from this DIY light's perspective
:thumb:
No, I added an adapter plate on the left so that the drivers are balanced. There will be a difference but it can be measured in grams.

I'm also designing a light hanger I think you'll like. There will only be one rope to adjust the height. Five pulleys will be required. A standard hanger will be used to pull the rope up from the bottom of the tent so that the control will remain at a constant height. The range of height adjustment will be the slightly less than width of the tent for me. This will be a summer project.
I will be very interested to see your pulley system. I can already tell that my big array is going to be a major pain raising and lowering it, since I have it on individual hangers attached to each corner.

I will be very interested to see your pulley system. I can already tell that my big array is going to be a major pain raising and lowering it, since I have it on individual hangers attached to each corner.

I use chains with my current COB light. It is small enough so that isn't a problem. This light will be hard to reach around and over to get at chains. I have to do something. :thedoubletake: :hmmmm: :idea:

Here's a concept drawing for a single pull light hanger.

full

Looks interesting. Would this be at it's lowest setting. At it's highest like that you could possibly have a problem going down. The splice/ knot could end up over the top last pulley.
:popcorn::nomo:

Looks interesting. Would this be at it's lowest setting. At it's highest like that you could possibly have a problem going down. The splice/ knot could end up over the top last pulley.
:popcorn::nomo:

Details, mere details...

A mechanical stop wouldn't be difficult to implement. This can be a function of how the pulleys are mounted. If they are in a u-channel, the pulley can be mounted close to it so the rope joint can't slide through it. Another way is to mount plates with holes in them to stop the knot.

I put this up in case someone wants to try it. I won't be able to build it before summer's end.

you could save some money by usin a double shiv pulley on the left side thus eliminating the two center pullies. You could then join the two ropes into one after the double shiv pulley just a thought

That's something i'm considering. I have two devices that need a center pull. the light, and the height adjustable net. I'm debating how to lay it out. I plan on buying the double shiv pulleys, and taking them apart. I'm thinking u-channel across the top, with the pulleys remounted in that.

Any reason your not using the IC COB LEDs? Ive got a bunch of 50 watt chips you can directly wire to 110v and they have built in drivers. Havent tried them yet dont have heatsinks.

Someone on this forum tried them with poor grow results. They were also highly prone to failure.

What's in the box? Wiring central is there. I'm old school, and don't know I can trust them new-fangled WAGO connectors, so everything is soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing.

All that's left is mounting the last two heat sinks, and installing the COBs on them. The wiring has already been run for them, so then end is just a few insertions away. The box needed to be wired up before mounting the last two COBs so that I could access the screws to close it up. My back let me know it's time for a break. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it off in an hour or two.

full

Wiring Central

I'm not quite done yet. It's functional, but needs a little prettying up.

full

The Front of the Light

full

The Back of the Light

full

The Bottom of the Light

full

Test Firing the Light (On Lowest Setting)
It's blinding when turned up to full power. I can't wait to grow with it.

Back
Top Bottom