Iwltfum's Coco ChinaJack M69 Grow Journal Summer 2015

iwltfum

Ok. Here it is. My first journal. Starting it out with Mendocino 69 (also known as "mendo purps" or "the purps") and China Jack (which is jack herer crossed with pollen from a Chinese Yunnan indica - you won't find this one on the internet. If you know about this strain, then we probably know each other. That's awesome! - but don't call me out please)

A little about the Strains:

M69 (2 plants)
-Sativa60/Indica40
-I think its a Purple Urkle cross but I'm not sure, if anyone has info on the lineage, would appreciate the input
-First time blooming this one
-Woody/Pine taste (says the internet)
-Featured in the top ten high times strains of the year in 2007 (this was when it was a clone only- I got the seeds from BCbud)
-8-9 weeks

China Jack (2 plants)
-Best guess on the ratio is Indica60-70/Sativa30-40
-Chinese Indica x jack herer
-I've run this one several times. Pretty familiar with it.
-Sort of a piney/earthy taste and smell
-9-10 weeks

Hardware, Nutes, and other details:
-Inside
-15x20x10ft space
-Coco 60%/Perlite 30%
-5 gallon pots
-watering once a day for the time being
-Running GH three part according to their schedule +calmag, yucca extract (I mix my own bottles of it), multi-zen and nitrogen boost from house and garden, liquid kool bloom, MOAB, bud xl from house and garden
-h2o2 1ml/g with every watering
-PPM right now: 450
-Feed it 5.8-6
-Runs out 6-6.3
-All four are under one 1000w dual arc hortilux bulb (air cooled hood) for veg
-In a month or so, they will each have their own 1000w HPS bulb to sun themselves under(open air hood)
-Room temp: 65-70night/70-80day
-Humidity: 40-50%
-no pests or diseases on these

They have been in Veg for about a month and a half. They had a rough couple weeks to start off so they are only about 1.5ft tall each. Topped them twice so far. They each have 5-8 tops right now.

The big question for this grow IS:
Is drilling 1/4" holes all over the sides of a plastic pot beneficial? How will it affect growth, flowers, and roots, if at all?

One M69 pot has holes, one does not. Same goes for the CJ plants.

Pictures to come soon.

Looking forward to comparisons, thoughts, and helpful hints

-Tfum

M69:
IMG_040430.JPG

China Jack:
IMG_040338.JPG

Those are some nice looking plants Iwltfum, as far as drilling holes in the pots, I know more oxygen in the root area is desirable and beneficial. I have one of my plants in one of those fabric pots, and I can tell it does make a difference as far as growth and general well being of the plant.

Those are some nice looking plants Iwltfum, as far as drilling holes in the pots, I know more oxygen in the root area is desirable and beneficial. I have one of my plants in one of those fabric pots, and I can tell it does make a difference as far as growth and general well being of the plant.

Thank you Roach. I'm pretty happy with them right now. I like the fabric pots alot. I hate transplanting into them though so I thought maybe I could replicate the awesome results that I saw from them with the 1/4" holes. I have also run 10 gallon pots with holes drilled into the sides, which seemed to work great, but I never took the time to sort out the results. I know this method works to a degree, just wanted to set a control group before I throw a fabric pot in with the mix.

Trimmed the low and small branches up to about 8" above the coco and super cropped them.

All four under the light:
IMG_041130.JPG

China Jacks:
IMG_040628.JPG

IMG_040731.JPG

M69s:
IMG_040832.JPG

IMG_040938.JPG

These plants seem to have a bit of nitrogen toxicity. The elongated tip of the fan leaves turning down into a "claw" shape is a sign of N toxicity. Maybe lowering a bit the nutrient strength may be helpful.
Besides that they look healthy.

It's something I've been trying to iron out. Thank you for confirming my suspicions about over doing it vs under doing it though. I've run them at about 350PPM (75% dilution) and at 460PPM (50% dilution). The lower seemed too low and the higher seemed too high. Do you think that 110PPM could be the difference between deficiencies and nute burn? I've heard of people running their PPM's way higher than that with a similar line of nutes so I just kind of figured that there was no way I was burning them.

The input is much appreciated Roach, as always! :thanks:

Do you feed on every watering? I've seen that usually people would feed in a watering and then skip nutrients in the next watering or two.

Do you feed on every watering? I've seen that usually people would feed in a watering and then skip nutrients in the next watering or two.

Yeah, I have been feeding with every watering, other than plain RO once a week. I've been looking for some more sterile coco journals. They seem to be hard to come by, at least in the recent history of the site...

Here are some pictures specifically of the new growth.

China Jack:
IMG_041432.JPG

M69:
IMG_041531.JPG

IMG_041634.JPG

Try feeding every other watering or two, if you see deficiencies you can add some more until you find that sweet spot. I tried with coco myself and had some issues with salt build up and ph problems.

Try feeding every other watering or two, if you see deficiencies you can add some more until you find that sweet spot. I tried with coco myself and had some issues with salt build up and ph problems.

I was doing hydro coco for like 2 years the way that I learned to run organic coco (letting it almost completely dry out between every watering). It was only when I started getting on here every once in a while that I found out I was even doing anything wrong! haha Well, like they say, ignorance is bliss. I was happy with my product, but it's night and day compared to the way most people do it and the way I'm doing it now. But, that being said, it seems very new to me because I'm running into completely new issues, but only because I'm looking harder I think. The growth has been twice as fast as the way I was doing it before so I'm definitely making progress.

They look healthy, hopefully you will not have issues with them, still it is better to avoid feeding every watering and give them a flush every month or so.

Going to look more into that
Might have something to do with the fact that they have not filled out the pot yet...? Just a thought. They were transplanted the day before yesterday.

One of the super crops didn't take very well. Chopped it off. Oh well, it will form at least one nice top.

Fed them with 1/4 strength fuel until 25% run off. I think I'm going to cave and set up 3x a day feeding tomorrow with an under table res. Should be a fun project. Will post pictures.

Nothing new to report on the plants, but I set up a recirculating system today! That was fun and cost me roughly 50 bucks (because I already had the air pump):

Arg, of course all the pictures are sideways, but you get the point...

IMG_042624.JPG

IMG_042723.JPG

IMG_043028.JPG

IMG_043331.JPG

IMG_043427.JPG

IMG_043631.JPG

IMG_042830.JPG

IMG_043732.JPG

IMG_043824.JPG

IMG_043824.JPG

I bought a 400gph sub pump (that's 6.67gpm), a new air stone, a LDPE(polyethylene) roughneck 18gallon storage bin, couple feet of 1/2" rubber tubing, and that's it. I already had 1/4" tubing with fittings and drippers from a previous grow, I just had to cut down the tubing a bit as it was too long for my current plants. I will definitely have to replace it with longer 1/4" tubing once I spread them out to their new lights, but I've got some time...which I rarely ever have... Rockin!

The only prep I had to do was cutting the top to fit the table/res combination and punching the holes into the 1/2" tubing to connect it to the 1/4" tubes. Then I set up the drip and was good to go. I noticed the room humidity went WAY up (rose 20% over about 2hours eventually hitting 58 or 59%. Gunna have to deal with that somehow (meaning I have to buy a dehumidifier, I just hate big expenses like that)

Looking forward to results in this experiment with recirculation and watering more often. I plan to water 2-3x a day for the next week. I think that should give me a good reading whether this is working or not...I'm a little nervous, but very stoked on possible new horizons!

I watched a video done by chef Derek Butt on youtube about putting holes in your tubs. I think his claim is that it is very helpful. Hope this can help.

Thanks dj. That definitely shores up my thoughts on the subject a little more. We'll see if the side-by-side that I'm doing yields the same results.

UPDATE:

After 24 hours of watching the room: Humidity is back down to normal. It is riding a little higher than it was but it's not going above 50% during the day so I'm happy with it. So happy in fact that I went and bought supplies for another table. I moved the two M69's to this new table under a second 1000w MH light. So now I have 2 tables with 2 plants each and 2 lights (Ahhh. Don't even numbers feel so good). Running 4 drip stakes to each 5 gallon pot. I'm think of just blooming under these two lights instead of having to move them all around again.

Also, after 4 waterings of the coco plants, the 10 gallons of is down to about 8 gallons.
The PPM's went from 325 to 400 in only three waterings (in a period of 12hours). I had take 2.5 gallons out last night and replace it with RO water to get those PPM's back down.

Cheers all,
-TFUM

Back
Top Bottom