J.J.'s Everything Your'e Not Supposed to do During a Grow Journal

GaladrielDreams

Ok, So I am a medical patient in Colorado. I have two rare blood disorders, one is a clotting condition that requires me to inject Lovenox (low weight molecular Heparin) twice a day, the other is a Iron Loading disorder, that requires me to have therapeutic phlebotomy (blood donation is similar) to keep my serum ferritin levels below 300 nanograms per liter. When I was first diagnosed with Iron Overload, I was going weekly to donate a pint of blood. My serum ferritin levels were over 1000! But in the quest to get my levels back down, the stupid phlebotomists, blew the veins in my crook of my elbows (where you would normally would have blood drawn) in both arms. Now they have to get blood from my mid arm to my wrist. Which is excruciating because they use a 16 gauge needle for the blood collection. Think stir straw at a 7/11 :O

Anyway, because of the pain that the treatment gives me for the iron loading, I begged my doctor to figure out a way for pain management. The iron loading disease already caused me to have jaundice, and I have to avoid Tylenol, and Motrin, because they cause Liver damage, my violent allergies to just about all prescribed pain meds (we're talking about Exorcist class Vomiting here). I asked her about MMJ, and she said, I can't prescribe anything that is more effective for pain management, and nausea! I was so happy. Because the Iron overload also puts my stomach on perma upset. Nauseous, heartburn, dry heaves, etc. So she signed off on my MMJ permit in CO.

I have a local dispensary that I go to, and they have a large variety of edibles, bud, schwag, etc. But I wanted to start a grow of my own for when I didn't have the $$$$ to buy there.

So I started my first grow. I have a spot in my closet roughly 3 ft wide, by 6-7 ft tall and 3 feet deep. It's next where the Hot water heater closet is, so it has an intake vent for the water heater, and the water heater has an exhaust out to the roof. I have an Ionic Breeze pro for odor control, and a 8 inch fan on low for breeze/cooling.

My lighting was a joke, 3 60 watt equiv florescents on a floor lamp that reminds me of track lights because they are staggered in distance from each other. But I figured it would be good enough to get the seeds germd, and into seedling stage before I would need to upgrade the wattage on the lights. I was doing a 24 hour light cycle until they sprouted, and then 18/6 for seedling to veg growth.

My grow medium is Soil, and I can hear the hissing and groaning now, Miracle Grow Soil. When you live 60 miles from civilization, you get what you can where you can... Where I got it??? Walmart, more boos and hisses from the crowd... But it was that, or generic soil.

Nutes.... ahhh once again the dreaded Miracle Grow All Purpose Plant Food, for all flowers, vegetables etc. 12/4/8 for the NPK Rating. For Flowering, I bought a generic fertilizer that is 6/12/6 NPK. I mix the Nutes in with water, and check daily.

Watering. I check every day on moisture levels. In case I get stuck somewhere, I have, and the laughs will follow, an aqua globe filled with water. Believe it or not, it does empty pretty regularly every week, even though I am checking water levels by hand. My water is well water. I have no idea what the PH of it is, and other details, but my plants aren't complaining...

I don't have a PH meter, unless I can actually use the PH tester I have for my fish tank for my plants, and then I would still have no idea how to test my soil with it.... But once again, my plants aren't complaining.

Now on to my first grow.

I started out 6 bagseed seeds from some PretendaKind that I got, and planted them in 6 inch pots with the MG. Watered them really good, and stuck the lights on 24 hours until they sprouted and turned into seedlings. Believe it or not, all 6 came up! They were growing happily until they were about 6 inches tall, and then my drug sniffing kitty found them and mangled them ALL to hell.

Kitty is too damn cute to kill, so I started 4 more seeds from my Bagseed PretendaKind, and started over again. Again, 24 hours light until they sprouted and turned into seedlings. This time, I had engineered a kitty proof cage for my garden, using a mesh laundry basket with the bottom cut out of it. IT WORKED!!!! With me chasing her out of the grow room whenever I spotted her, and her inability to wrap her clawed paws around my babies, they grew and flourished into vegetative growth at 18/6.

When the plants grew to about 3 feet tall, I put them into flowering mode at 12/12. On Day 10, I sexed them out, 2 males and 2 females (1 turned hermie on me, but is mostly female). I yanked the males, and continued my flowering cycle for them. At about 3 wks into flower, my hermie showed his ambiguity towards his gender, and I started to see balls on about 4 or 5 spots on the plant. So I grabbed my magnifying glass and tweezers and started plucking every ball off of the plant. I go in 3-4 times daily to do this.... I know it won't stop ALL of them, but I can at least minimize the damage. Plus my curiosity got the better of me since this is a lush plant, and it's mostly female. My other female, is looking like a bud on a stick. I tried trimming the fan leaves on it, so the lower branches would get more light, and I might have been too zealous in my trimming.... Oh well. Lesson learned....

So we are in week 5 of flowering, and I just managed to obtain some 100 watt equiv lights that have a 1750 lumen rating per bulb, in my grow room so now I have 7000 lumen in my grow space for 2 plants. Hopefully someone will let me know if it is too much, or if I totally screwed up my crop doing it in the middle of flowering...

Next to come, pics of the garden.

Re: J.J.'s Everything your not supposed to do during a grow Journal

Oh yeah, your screwed....

:)

I kid.

You sound like your doing everything you can for your ladies. They will thank you for this!

As for your addition of lighting, It wont hurt a bit! In fact they will more than likely be happy for it. Run a total of 10 CFLs - 8 23watt (100watt equiv) and two 42watt(150watt equiv) for a total Lumen Out put of 19200 for a 4ft x 4ft area. I kept adding lights as the grow progressed as the plant got bigger and bigger. She was very happy with it right up until I screwed up my nutes and almost killed her..

I'd love to see some pics if you care to share.

I too have went down the miracle grow/cfl path, i got ok results, my bud was nice to smoke and i got around 3oz from one plant using 30,000 lumens, i use one 250w blue/white cfl and some 30w 2700k to help flowering, have you heard of lst? its a good thing for plants in small spaces/grow rooms imo.

anyway...:goodluck: :popcorn:

Gotta keep kitty out! who wants to smoke cat hairs? :p (they bring in bugs too!)
Grow or get the kitty some catnip.

WallyWorld also has soils other than MG, just get regular potting soil and add in some steer manure for .79 cents a bag and some perlite.

check out osmecote plus for an easy way to feed with micro nutes.

Its pretty easy to nute-burn an under lit plant in MG soil when its also given MG fertz.

if you compare the PH of the water going in to that of the drainage, it will give you an idea of which end of the scale the soil is on.

lol, i have a plant murdering drug sniffin kitty too:grinjoint:

Oh yeah, your screwed....

:)

I kid.

You sound like your doing everything you can for your ladies. They will thank you for this!

As for your addition of lighting, It wont hurt a bit! In fact they will more than likely be happy for it. Run a total of 10 CFLs - 8 23watt (100watt equiv) and two 42watt(150watt equiv) for a total Lumen Out put of 19200 for a 4ft x 4ft area. I kept adding lights as the grow progressed as the plant got bigger and bigger. She was very happy with it right up until I screwed up my nutes and almost killed her..

I'd love to see some pics if you care to share.

Thanks for the reply! Gave you some +reps for that!

I only have 2 plants, so 7000 lumen is more than enough correct?

I have a LOT of pics of my lame assed garden here in the gallery's board under my user name. The link for it is in my siggy... There are a LOT of pics there, and from what I read in how to post pics it would take a while to get all them in here.

My grow is in my walk in closet. Which also happens to house my hot water heater closet (gas) so it takes care of my CO2 issues I think... I can make it as large as I want I guess, it has a vaulted ceiling. I just made a space with a small bench table and 2 pots, and hoped and prayed it worked. It did!

Again Thanks for stoppin by! I'll try to post pics of my garden from my gallery sometime soon!

I too have went down the miracle grow/cfl path, i got ok results, my bud was nice to smoke and i got around 3oz from one plant using 30,000 lumens, i use one 250w blue/white cfl and some 30w 2700k to help flowering, have you heard of lst? its a good thing for plants in small spaces/grow rooms imo.

anyway...:goodluck: :popcorn:

Thanks for the reply! Gave you some +reps for it!

Yup, I've heard of Low Stress training. I plan on using it on one of my grows one of these days. Since this was my first grow, I just wanted to see if I could do it, so I didn't do any bells and whistles with the plants, with the exception of trimming fan leaves so the lower branches could get more light... Now I have a bud on a stick :)

Gotta keep kitty out! who wants to smoke cat hairs? :p (they bring in bugs too!)
Grow or get the kitty some catnip.

WallyWorld also has soils other than MG, just get regular potting soil and add in some steer manure for .79 cents a bag and some perlite.

check out osmecote plus for an easy way to feed with micro nutes.

Its pretty easy to nute-burn an under lit plant in MG soil when its also given MG fertz.

if you compare the PH of the water going in to that of the drainage, it will give you an idea of which end of the scale the soil is on.

Yea that drug sniffing kitty.... She doesn't like catnip now that she's had the good stuff :laughtwo:. I have dogs as well as cats, so pet hair is unavoidable. I live at high altitude (over 9,000 ft) so pests aren't much of a problem from the animals.

Fortunately for me, I tended to over water when they were seedlings and in veg stage, so I haven't had any nute burn. I think that helped tone down the slow release nutes. Thats when I got the aqua globes, I was over watering too much, so I put those in and left them alone for a few days at a time. With the MG fertilizer, I diluted it to half strength, and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the soil till it was damp to keep from overwatering and overfertilizing.

For soil, do I have to use manure? I can get some Paca Beans (Alpaca manure) from a farm nearby for NOTHING. Can you give me some details on the soil/manure/perlite mix ratios? We are talking TOTAL NEWBIE when it comes to this kind of garden. I have a green thumb for just about anything, but this is my first attempt at growing my meds...

I'll try testing my well water with my fish tank ph kit. See what that turns out to be.

Thanks again for the reply!

Dsc02544sm.jpg

OOOOOOOOOO, sexy! :smokin:

your ladies seem happy enough!

For your first grow every things seems just great! I looked at all your photos. That space has tons of potential! I know if your any thing like me you'll be continually upgrading and tweaking.

As for the amount of light you have, They seem to be responding well to what you have. For now any ways. The thing to also remember Lumen rating really doesn't have any impact on the plants. Its more just a way to measure how bright lights are. Though lumen are a good ref point. I read some where once that a good rule of thumb is 10k m2. Since you run just short of that I am sure you'll be just fine.

I invite you to take a look at my first/current grow Chrome's 'Just Mess'in Around' CFL + Bag Seed Grow You can follow the evolution of my closet. We'll as far as It is too now any ways. I can not show you the future.. well at least not with out a fee..

lol, i have a plant murdering drug sniffin kitty too:grinjoint:

Yea, I cried when I went in and saw that she decimated my garden :(

My mesh laundry basket with the bottom cut out of it worked FANTASTIC!!! It got them past the fragile seedling, beginning veg stage. Then when they out grew it, I took it down, and closed the door behind me when I checked on the babies....

For knowing my pain, I'm gonna give you some plus reps too!

Dsc02544sm.jpg

OOOOOOOOOO, sexy! :smokin:

your ladies seem happy enough!

For your first grow every things seems just great! I looked at all your photos. That space has tons of potential! I know if your any thing like me you'll be continually upgrading and tweaking.

As for the amount of light you have, They seem to be responding well to what you have. For now any ways. The thing to also remember Lumen rating really doesn't have any impact on the plants. Its more just a way to measure how bright lights are. Though lumen are a good ref point. I read some where once that a good rule of thumb is 10k m2. Since you run just short of that I am sure you'll be just fine.

I invite you to take a look at my first/current grow Chrome's 'Just Mess'in Around' CFL + Bag Seed Grow You can follow the evolution of my closet. We'll as far as It is too now any ways. I can not show you the future.. well at least not with out a fee..

I think yours was one of the first CFL grow threads I checked out when I was lurking around looking for info on CFL lights for growing.

That pic you posted above, is my beautiful female, that is the bud on a stick. I have more pics that I took yesterday. I need to resize them and upload to my gallery. It just takes a while to reduce the size under 1 MB, with the amount of pics.

Yup, I'll definitely be upgrading. I just got some 100 watt CFL's yesterday and changed them out (now have 4 100 watt equiv CFL's for 2 plants), hopefully with the increased lighting, they will start to fill out... I need to get a pocket microscope, I can barely see the trichromes with the one I have... I might also order some better soil and nutes online. Looks like most like Fox Farms Ocean and their nutes....

For clones, what cloning medium do you use? I was thinking about Clonex gel, for my next grow.

BTW, my babies are smelling a bit skunky when I stick my nose into those lovely colas.

Thanks for your input!!! And not laughing at me for my lame assed grow...

The clone I have that made it I simply filled a plastic cup with water, covered with foil, poked a hole in the foil and stuck the stem in water. I'm not sure if this should have worked or not but it did! I used Rootech on one that I placed in soil. That one died on me with in 24 hrs. I have heard good things about Rootech though.

Why would i laugh at your grow? Its very successful! You planted a seed that grew into a plant. A plant that thus far is achieving the goals you get out to achieve. Nothing lame about that!

Picture time!!!

Yesterday's photo shoot ;)

Dsc02585sm.jpg

Dsc02584sm.jpg

Dsc02583sm.jpg

Dsc02577sm.jpg

Dsc02568sm.jpg

Dsc02569sm.jpg

Dsc02574sm.jpg

Dsc02561sm.jpg

Dsc02560sm.jpg

Dsc02557sm.jpg

Dsc02553sm.jpg

Dsc02555sm.jpg

Dsc02556sm.jpg

That's it for the photo shoot yesterday. I'll take more pics in a week to see what the new lights are doing... ENJOY!

The clone I have that made it I simply filled a plastic cup with water, covered with foil, poked a hole in the foil and stuck the stem in water. I'm not sure if this should have worked or not but it did! I used Rootech on one that I placed in soil. That one died on me with in 24 hrs. I have heard good things about Rootech though.

Why would i laugh at your grow? Its very successful! You planted a seed that grew into a plant. A plant that thus far is achieving the goals you get out to achieve. Nothing lame about that!

Bolding mine, Well, a floor lamp with low wattage cfls, tin foil on the walls, and no real rhyme or reason to the design, just a do it on the fly type of setup. No fancy bubblers, hydro etc. Bad soil, bad nutes, but it is proof that Anyone can do it! Hell I don't even take the PH of the water and plants. But I suspect that since I have "Rocky Mountain Crack Water" meaning it tastes so clean and clear you can't drink enough of it means it's probably balanced. I also flush once a week with said water, and they just keep flourishing!

I'm going to go back in next week with the camera, take some more and see if the improved lights improves the growth.

Bolding mine, Well, a floor lamp with low wattage cfls, tin foil on the walls, and no real rhyme or reason to the design, just a do it on the fly type of setup. No fancy bubblers, hydro etc. Bad soil, bad nutes, but it is proof that Anyone can do it! Hell I don't even take the PH of the water and plants. But I suspect that since I have "Rocky Mountain Crack Water" meaning it tastes so clean and clear you can't drink enough of it means it's probably balanced. I also flush once a week with said water, and they just keep flourishing!

I'm going to go back in next week with the camera, take some more and see if the improved lights improves the growth.

hey, you saw my journal. I started off no better. Probably worse since you most likely have better water than I do! actually I'd like to try some of that crack water you speak of. Send me a bottle?

hey, you saw my journal. I started off no better. Probably worse since you most likely have better water than I do! actually I'd like to try some of that crack water you speak of. Send me a bottle?

LOL Sure no problem.

There is a place about 10 miles away from here, it's a public access water spring, and you can take as many bottles as you want, and that water is better than mine!!

I'm just fortunate that I have good clean clear rocky mountain spring water.

OOOH snagged a new page!

Just came out of the garden, plucked off 2 more balls off the hermie. I think it's slowing down production of male flowers since I upped the wattage on the lights. The plants are LOVING the new light, I can see noticeable growth in the flowers. Soil is damp, so don't need to water today... Lights off is 1 am. I need to get a timer one of these days, but I have been turning lights on at 1 pm, and off at 1 am, every day like a champ.

Going to chillax with either some AK 47 or White Widow from my local dispensary before bed. I am just hoping and praying I find a seed in either of them *crossing fingers*

Morning check on the babies and de-balling the hermie, only 4 balls this am! Plucked them off, and then did a full flush of water on the plants. They are very happy with the new lamps. I swear, bud on a stick's lower flowers filled out by a 1/4 - 1/2 inch! I checked with my magnifying glass on the trichs and I can see them. They are teeny tiny, but they are there. need a pocket scope. I'm going to have to go into civilization in the next week or two...

Afternoon and Evening foray's into the garden resulted in 2 more balls removed. Garden is looking good with the new lights. Oh yea, the beginning of orange hairs are starting to appear on both plants. I know it doesn't mean they are ready, but it's just one more step closer to maturity. Trichs are sooo teeny tiny, and I can barely see them, but I think they are clear? Looking at them with the naked eye, they just look "sparkly" :)

I'm going to try and zoom in on the buds during next week's photo shoot. Then I'll zoom and crop the pics to see if I can zoom into those trichs a little more... I may experiment with one I already have in my gallery. I'll try it tomorrow. Don't feel like doing it tonight. I de-furred, and dusted today, and my body is paying for it.

Oh man nothing worse than grabbing balls all day. :smokin:

HAha I kid. Nothing worse than seedy smoke!

Cant wait to see some bud porn! get them money shots. OOOOH YEAH!

Back
Top Bottom