J4s2u0's New Tote/CFL Grow

j4s2u0

Ok so I decided to make another growbox,this time I spent a little extra cash cause I want somthing awesome...
My last one grew healthy plants but was way to crowded ect,so this time I went a little bigger and alot better,
Here is a run down on what I needed to buy to build this growbox,
1. 1-27 gallon "tough tote" $14 give or take,
2. 6-plug-to-socket adapters $12
3. 4-2way socket adapters, "the ones everyone uses" $10
4. 2-6 outlet extention cord, $10
5. 1 roll of foil tape/aluminum tape, $6
6. 2-42 watt 2700k cfl bulbs, $20
7. 3-26 watt 2700k cfl bulbs, $6
8. 1-20 watt 5600k cfl bulb, $1
9. 2 computer fans, "free"

So the total spent was around $80 or so...

So I planted some seeds in soil I already had laying around, "not sure of the brand" but it seems to work awesome...
I have been logging this grow as it hapens,and will add updates and photo's every couple days or when somthing hapens,lol...

09/18/10...The seeds popped up out of the soil,
09/20/10...They all grew there first set of leaves,
09/25/10...There second set of leaves are all up,
09/26/10...Growing stronger every day,
09/27/10...They are on there third set of leaves Now and look healthy,
09/29/10...All there leaves are getting huge,some are crazy fat,
Will update soon with pics!

Re: j6s6u6's new tote/cfl grow...

Ok here are some pics of the plants first coming out of the soil and growing day by day untill day 10-12 or so...
04033.JPG
04239.JPG
05025.JPG
05125.JPG
05321.JPG
05422.JPG
0758.JPG
0768.JPG
0778.JPG
0785.JPG

So I am pretty happy about this growbox,its much stronger/bigger then last time...
The fans even though there small computer fans provide a nice breeze and exhaust hot air at the top where the bulbs are ect...
The foil tape shit took for ever to cover the hole inside of this tote and the inside of the cover ect...like 2-3 hours atleast...and although it looks cool,not sure how well it will reflect light...I can always upgrade if I need to,

So right now I have got alot of time in this little box,I just couldent stand having a cool ugly box,lol...so I upgraded jst about everything so maybe I can harvest somthing this time!
So I am getting about 5200 lumens from the 2-42 watt cfl bulbs...
And another 5100 from the 3-26 watt bulbs...
And after adding another 20 watt cfl bulb "1200 lumens" ???
So the total lumen output is around 11,500,
Wich is alot more then I was planning on, I would have been happy with 6000-8000 lumens,lol...The bulbs dont give off alot of heat and the exhaust fan gets rid of most of the heat anyways,and what isent will probably keep the box a little warmer during the night as it has been getting colder and colder,damn winter!
Anyways,I am happy with the new box and will be updating a couple times a week with info and of course pics...
I got most of this stuff from HomeDepot...tote,lights,bulb adapters ect...
I bought extra pieces just so I can have some on hand and play with them,trying out different lighting options untill I find one I am happy with,lol...
The 3 biggest plants are around 15-16 days old,the other may be a couple days behind ect...I started them out under 6000 lumens for 24 hours a day for the first 4 days,
Then I gave them 16 hours of darkness before putting them in flower...
I am useing a 11 hour on/13 hour off light schedual to try and speed up the flowering,
They have been flowering for around 10 days or so now and all look very healthy and green,have been looking out for flowers but as of yet havent seen anything...
I read that when basicly flowering from seed,it may take a while longer...
But I am thinking whithen the next 4 days or so I will "fingers crossed" hopfully start seeing some flowers,and pulling males ect...
Thanks for looking and any info,ideas or comments would be appreciated:)

Thanks man,
Ya after buying everything,and installing everything it was to late to change the light setup cause the lights went off,lol...
But I defently relize it has to change,I still have to get reflectors/soda cans on the rest of the bulbs...just so I can try and direct some light down to the plants...
Another thing I dident mention was I have been trying my hand at lsting a little,only on the biggest plants ect,also I am flowering ealry because I have a small growbox and its not to tall so I need to keep the plants gorwing small and sideways,lol...and after weeding out the males I should have extra room for some small females:)

Monday Oct 4th,

Ok so spent a couple hours trying ever posible light setup that will fit comfortably and I am finaly happy with somthing,lol...
Now all the bulbs are up top,over the plants...also added a couple more reflectors/soda cans,lol...still need a couple more to finish all of them,
So right now around 182 watts and 11,500 lumens...the box is 16 inches wide and 26 inches long, 3.08 square feet is what I come up with,lol...so the lumen per square foot would be 3733...I am not a math wiz that for sure but seems right,lol...
So is 3733 lumens per square foot good?
What is the normal or standered lumens per square foot?
Besides all that this is the best growbox I have ever had,and its rugged enough to sit on if u needed,lol...but ya
So I will update tomarrow with pics of the new light setup and plants ect,

Thanks guys,
Ya when all the lights are on inside the box it doesnt shine through the black which is cool but man does it come through the yellow cover,lol...
I am thinking about just spraying black spay paint all over the outside of the cover,maybe a couple coats if I have to,I just hate having to worry about how bright the yellow is...
Im sure I can figure out sumthing...
Plants looked awesome today when I saw them,there all healthy,and starting to smell a little,I have 7 plants going so I hope I can at the very least get a female or two!
If that happens I'll be happy:)
I will update tomarrow with pics ect,the oldest ones are around 18-19 days old and have been lsting them to keep them low as posible,kinda...
Tomarrow should be around 12-13 days flowering so my fingers are crossed for females,I relize it will probably take longer "like 20 days" to see first hairs,I know males usealy show themselves first but idk...Anyways more tomarrow,

Wed October 6, 2010...Update,
Big plants are 17-18 days old,other might be shortly behind by a day or two ect...the small plants in the little containers is just an exsperiment,just wanted to see if I can get any of these small plants to be female and kinda bonsai or somthing,I am going to lst all plants so I can keep them under the lights,they all look good and healthy so far,
Today is like day 12 of flower,havent seen anything as of yet but its still early
I noticed the branches coming out from all the plants I lsted,so thats cool...
Even plants that wernt lst have branches coming now,I am sure the containers for the little plants are way to small,I know this but I am just keeping them short ect untill I figure sumthing else out,
Let me know what u think:)
Here is a pic of the new light setup,much better!
05719.JPG

06015.JPG
07111.JPG
04435.JPG
04527.JPG

Here is a group shot of them all,
04143.JPG

Here are some random pics,
021128.JPG
03060.JPG
02777.JPG
018141.JPG

Let me know what u think,thanks!

Hey j6s6u6, dude thanks for stopping by my thread! I am really impressed with what you got going on in that tiny grow box! I got mad respect for making the most out of your cash, and with $80 and you clearly have, innovation seems to be inevitable when you smoke weed, get creative, and give the plants love.

Looking good, hopefully they dont grow too tall and stay nice and bushy!

Hey j6s6u6, dude thanks for stopping by my thread! I am really impressed with what you got going on in that tiny grow box! I got mad respect for making the most out of your cash, and with $80 and you clearly have, innovation seems to be inevitable when you smoke weed, get creative, and give the plants love.

Looking good, hopefully they dont grow too tall and stay nice and bushy!

Thanks guys,
Growheart...thanks for the kind words,
I am glad I was able to get everything I needed to build what I saw in my head,right after smoking a nice bowl:)
I always think better and be more creative when I smoke,seems to help with everything...I dont think they will get to tall cause every two days I have had to lst them again,lol...there stems are growing crazy fast and thick which is awesome,and the more branches the better:)
If I can just get one of these 7 to be female I will be completly happy,lol...

Right on dude, yeah especially with Sativas they make me have visions sometimes lol, the only thing is I have to either write it down or have someone else tell me it later because memory becomes a problem sometimes...

Fingers crossed for some femmes, they say 40-50% so hope for 3-4 ! You just never know with bag seed I ended up with 7/9 fem, 2 hermies.

Thur,Oct 07 2010...
A little update,
Well today I looked the plants all over realy good and it kinda looks like the 3 plants that are growing the best/strongest/fastest that I was hoping would be female all look like the have little balls forming toward the tops,
I am going to wait a day or two just to make sure nothing else comes out "like some hairs,lol..." but Im pretty sure I know what they look like by now...
And I know the males seem to show themselves first,they did on my last grow also...
So that would leave me with 4 plants if the are male...
This will be the last grow with bag seed,no doubt...lol...
I will be ordering some seeds that will hopfully work perfect in a growbox ect...
I am looking at some feminized auto flowering seeds,like lowryders and dwarf's ect...they all sound perfect,lol...very short,fast flowering and buying fem would give me piece of mind,lol....
Anyways,I will update when I know more...

Back
Top Bottom