J5's First Grow - Northern Lights - Hempy - UFO LED - Mainlined

Johnny 5spot8

This is a journal of my very first grow. Many mistakes were made, but compared to gardening outside this was the healthiest plant I've ever grown (no bugs). Pictures begin first week of flowering stage.

3.5 Gallon Hempy Bucket $4
Perlite / Vermiculite / Hydroton mix $15
180w (90w actual) Generic UFO LED from eBay $55
GH Flora series nutes $50
RO Water ~$10
Seeds: Northern Lights $45/5=9
Reflective Photography Hood from ebay $12
~45w of CFL scavenged from around the house
airstone+pump scavenged from aquarium
pH pen $12
ec Meter $10
pH up/down $15
TOTAL ~$192

So I bought 5 feminized Northern Lights seeds from Nirvana because I wanted the least odor possible. I mailed them $45 cash and received the seeds in the mail about 2 weeks later. I won an eBay auction for the light which is why it was so cheap, also it has no white LED lights.

I germinated the seed in a shotglass and a day later dropped the sprouted seed in the hempy bucket. 4/7 Perlite, 1/7 Hydroton, 2/7 Vermiculite. A day later the seedling poked through.

I don't expect my light to have much penetration so I want a short bushy plant with an even canopy and I decided to use the mainlining technique to achieve this with 8 tops. I topped the plant at the 3rd node when it had 6 total nodes and attempted to turn the top into a clone (fail). I also left the growth tips from the 2nd node as I wanted to use them for clones later. I tied the two new tops parallel to the ground and would soon discover this was my first blunder.

The next day I looked at my 2 new tops and discovered one of them was severely severed where it meets the stem. I had bent it too much and now the bottom 20% of the branch was still attached, but the top 80% was severed, and over the previous day had pretty much closed up. The wound had mostly healed up already so it seemed too late to reconnect the split parts with tape, so I just took some stress off the branch and decided to wait and see how well it could recover. If it turned out to be a lost cause I would re-top the plant down to the 2nd node which I had luckily not stripped the growth tips from.

The plant was so young that a couple days later the snapped branch had fully recovered and was as thick as the other side, but slightly more vertical since I eased up on its training.

A few days later I topped it again, and a few days later topped for the last time, and 8 main tops. Cuttings were taken from the 2nd node branches and were successful. I used rooting powder this time and planted them directly in hempy style solo cups with a 2 liter bottle as a humidity dome.

Other then snapping my branch in the beginning, Veg had gone smoothly. I used the nute schedule on the Flora bottles from 1/2 to 3/4 strength. Oh ya, one other mistake I made was not filling up the Hempy bucket high enough with substrate. I could have easily put another inch and a half in there.

Total veg time about a month. I didn't take any photos in veg, but internodal spacing was extremely tight. The light was certainly capable of taking a plant through veg in great shape.

Finally some pictures. This is after one week of 12/12. Everything seems to be going well. 8 tops of near uniform height and a nice green color. Also although I have an air pump connected I end up only using it about 20% of the time. It's really mostly a bother, and I just wanted it as an insurance policy.

SAM_0638_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0637_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0636_-_Copy.JPG

Here you can see the Mainlined shape. you'll notice of the bottom two branches one is more vertical. This is the one which ended up 80% severed. You'll notice it healed nicely and is of similar thickness to the unbroken one. It would look sexier if I removed the fan leaves from the third topping...
SAM_0639_-_Copy.JPG

Here we are at day 16 of flowering. I try to keep the LED about 2 inches above the canopy even though this means a lot of the outside leaves are seeing little light. Also, I move the plant over to the sun for 1-2 hours most days. I'm using the Flora nutes in flowering schedule from 2/3-3/4 strength and pH solution to ~5.8. As you can see it's tightly packed with leaves and things are going great. I'm doing great. I know pride goes before something... but I can't remember what. Oh well, it's probably not important anyway...

SAM_0642_-_Copy.JPG

SAM_0646_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0645_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0644_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0643_-_Copy.JPG

One week later. Day 22 of flowering and 53 overall. My baby is finally starting to show off the good stuff. There are some rust spots on leaves which you may see in the photos, but I'm used to growing veggies outdoors and I've never grown a plant this green and bug free and healthy before, so I'm not sweating every little thing. You can see it's very densely packed with foliage. Perhaps I should have or should defoliate, but I don't know much about defoliation, and don't want to screw things up. I'm following 'Nugbuckets' guide to Mainlining and he said no additional work was needed after the final top besides training, so that's my plan. But maybe he doesn't consider a little defoliation extra work so...

If I had a bigger light I'd definitely spread my 8 main colas farther out, but I like to keep my LED about 2 inches above the canopy and if I increase the canopy footprint I'd need to raise it or have large portions getting little to no light. Also I like to keep the plant as covered by the softbox hood as possible but it's only about 18" wide which is a bit limiting.

SAM_0647_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0648_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0649_-_Copy.JPG

This pic is the one showing off the rust spot in the bottom right corner. I didn't think much of it but perhaps should have because the rust has subsequently spread...
SAM_0650_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0652_-_Copy.JPG
SAM_0653_-_Copy.JPG

:Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom