Jack Herer Auto - Trichome amber percentage for harvest?

Grow Meds

New grower here, using greenhouse. My JH autos are nearing harvest, but I am not sure what percent of trichomes should be amber. I have been checking regularly and am seeing the most mature plant has about 20% amber trichomes but have read that with the JH autos, one should wait until you see around 70% amber. Does this sound right? Thanks.

New grower here, using greenhouse. My JH autos are nearing harvest, but I am not sure what percent of trichomes should be amber. I have been checking regularly and am seeing the most mature plant has about 20% amber trichomes but have read that with the JH autos, one should wait until you see around 70% amber. Does this sound right? Thanks.

NO!!!! Harvest now!

Actually, I recommend sampling first, but 20% amber is usually a good time if judging by trichomes.

See my post here:

Welcome All My Friends To The Show That Never Ends - Canna M & Nismo12 Team Up!

Thanks, Mr. Krip, for the reply. So, even though these are autos, they are still harvested at same time as regular, according to trichome appearance? Why do some references say harvest when tri's are around 50-70% amber? I'm confused, and learning as much as I can to get it done right the first time, so appreciate the input.

Thanks, Mr. Krip, for the reply. So, even though these are autos, they are still harvested at same time as regular, according to trichome appearance? Why do some references say harvest when tri's are around 50-70% amber? I'm confused, and learning as much as I can to get it done right the first time, so appreciate the input.

Can you send me a link to that reference? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Cloudy trichomes are your THC. As the THC degrades, it turns into CBD and the trichs turn amber. The old "rule of thumb" was to harvest when 20% amber. However, some strains are better when harvested earlier, which is why it's always good to start sampling when most of the trichs are cloudy.

The THC gives more of a cerebral/head high and the CBD give couchlock.

I can't imagine anyone would want 70% of the THC being converted to CBD, but I guess it's possible, especially if for medical use and someone just wants to fall asleep without getting stoned.

Forgot to get this quote in there, from the same source as last one.

Because this strain has some ruderalis genetics then the CBD as well as CBN ratios will be a bit higher and that is great for medical users and if you wan to get a more "body" high then you can let the plant mature a bit more till about 70% of the trichomes have turned amber.

Also, I asked the seed company "chat help" person about % for harvest, and that person said 70. I am not going to base my decision solely on a "chat help" answer, but it seemed to corroborate what I had read.

I am wondering if the greater percent of amber is because of the ruderalis genetics for the auto-flower.

Back
Top Bottom