Jake Plummer Goes On Epic Marijuana Rant

Katelyn Baker

Jake Plummer once threw a behind-the-back pass in an NFL game, but even if he hadn't done that, it would have been easy to see him as an "alternative thinker."

It's been 10 years since Plummer, 41, last played in an NFL game, and in the meantime he's gotten really into handball and medical marijuana advocacy, the latter of which was the thrust of a piece by BSN Denver in which Plummer unloaded on the NFL's drug policy, the public perception of athletes and, why not, Jerry Jones.

They should be able to say, 'I'm going to have some CBD and puff on this fatty, relax after a football game and take the pain away,'" he says. "Not get tested for it like Josh Gordon, who now can't play the game that he's been playing since he was a kid because he smokes marijuana. It didn't derail him or cause him to underachieve from what I witnessed. He dominated the league for two straight years, and now he's out of the league because he chose an alternative form of medicine.​

Plummer's major point is that the drugs NFL players are allowed to use to treat pain - prescription opioids, commonly - are more addictive and more dangerous than marijuana. These facts are not in dispute, and our country is currently realizing that the resurgent popularity of heroin traces neatly back to all the liberally prescribed opioids over the last 20 or so years.

And it is silly for Josh Gordon to be all-but dismissed from the NFL for using a substance that is legal for medical or recreational purposes in 26 states.

And if there is any profession that ought to err on the side of permissiveness about the way its people treat their pain, it's football.

Most people seem to agree with this. It's just funnier when Plummer says it.

It's really hard to explain to the outside because it's like having a job and there's constantly people coming to take your job. If you're in pain, and you can't perform or if you're not healthy then someone is going to take your job."

I know a lot of guys that were using [percosets]and [vicodins]if that's what they had to do to get through an NFL season," he adds. "At that point, I wasn't going to be the guy to say, "Hey man, this stuff is bad for you." I knew it was; I knew they knew it was but your job is being threatened and you're going to do whatever it takes. There was, still is and always has been a pretty high use of whatever drug of choice it is to keep you on the field.

Naturally, Jerry Jones had a couple rocks flung his way too.

Like Jerry Jones, who says it's 'absurd' that there would be a link between brain trauma, football and CTE," Plummer adds. "Shame on him for saying that, that billionaire a******. It's the worst thing in the world for a guy like that to say.​

Plummer is not just an advocate, he's a patient. He is a daily user of CBD, a non-psychoactive component of cannabis that helps treat swelling and depression and - according to a study in Israel - protects against brain injuries, but would still make a urine sample come up dirty. He and Nate Jackson, a former Bronco and Deadspin writer, are involved in a campaign to test the effects of CBD on the quality of life for current and former NFL players.

This campaign seems reasonable. All it needs now is Peyton Manning.

jake5.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jake Plummer Goes On Epic Marijuana Rant; Slams Jerry Jones, The NFL, Everybody Else
Author: Tully Corcoran
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom