Jandre2k3 & The Generosity Of Others

2017-02-07.jpg

Okay, so I'm setting up for soil growing. Good news is that I can use Cutting Edge Solutions nutes that I already use for hydro, so I don't have to switch out for soil-only nutes.

Had another sudden die-off under the same optimal conditions. No anomalies, no happenstance, no "OH SHIT I FUCKED THAT UP!", nothing at all went wrong. I topped to even out the plant, but it had already started to slow down on growth, hinting that failure was on the way again. I tried to health-up the roots, and get them kick-started again, but much to my dismay, nothing worked. So.... FUCKIT, I'm going back to soil.

This 5-year Hydro experiment is over.

I don't get it man.. especially after the few hydro grows I saw reach 1g/w or better.. soils good mate..

Oh, sorry to hear that. I wish you successes in the future. Keep them green! :love: :Namaste:

Okay, so I'm setting up for soil growing. Good news is that I can use Cutting Edge Solutions nutes that I already use for hydro, so I don't have to switch out for soil-only nutes.

Had another sudden die-off under the same optimal conditions. No anomalies, no happenstance, no "OH SHIT I FUCKED THAT UP!", nothing at all went wrong. I topped to even out the plant, but it had already started to slow down on growth, hinting that failure was on the way again. I tried to health-up the roots, and get them kick-started again, but much to my dismay, nothing worked. So.... FUCKIT, I'm going back to soil.

This 5-year Hydro experiment is over.

Death of a Grape Ape Cannabis Palnt - YouTube

wow and I thought my gg4 looked like shit
only one popped so far for me the third one I got 2 more to try
then I'm gonna wonder about gorilla seeds and be glad I only bought the 5 seeds

Yeah, I think tomorrow I'll break everything down, wash-down, and reset as soil. I have it narrowed down to the demise of Hydroton, and having to use a rough-surfaced, sharp, broken, "GROW!T" clay rocks as a substitute. I started having problems as I ran out of the smooth Hydroton, and had to go to the GROW!T/PLANT!T which is absolute shit in my opinion.

Used to use Hydroton Expanded clay. Smooth, round, uniform, lighter than water, did not compact down on roots.

Well, they're not around anymore, and my hydro shop carries this crap. GROW!T Clay PEBBLES. Rough, irregular, different sized, and very heavy so they COMPACT DOWN ON THE ROOTS during the fill/drain cycles.

This, I believe is the problem. I'm not seeing the nice pretty white (sometimes stained clay-red) roots that I used to see. That, and they are not as hardy as they were in the Hydroton. They, actually, look wrinkled, and greyish when it is all over. I had originally thought that it was due to over-watering. So, I only watered once a day, and for an ebb & flow system, that's a long time between waters- same result.

I am now completely convinced that it is due to prolonged exposure to these clay pebbles, whatever the cause, because my clones and teens are doing very well, and when they're moved over to the grow space, they do well for a month or two, then they begin to slow, then they just poof. Plus, this time around, I used all new pebbles, fittings, pumps, tubs, and all...

All things being equal, having repeated success with Hydroton, then no success after having to switch to GROW!T/PLANT!T, the evidence glares and points accusingly at the only changed variable when the failures began.

So, I did a basic mix: plain potting soil, peat, perlite, azomite, dolomite, forest humus, guano, castings, liq-seaweed, krill, oyster shell, and some of my own compost for my outdoor garden, to get the micro-herd going. Watering just water for now, until I see what's what. Nothing fancy this time 'round till I see how my mix works for the cannabis. Shit, last time I grew cannabis in soil, there was only MG for Tomatoes, SuperThrive, guano, castings, and "Fish Emulsion." 'Course there was blood and bone meals, but that was about it. Hell, DDT had just been banned in the USA only few years back, lol.

Anyway...

"I don't know where I'm goin'
But I sure know where I've been
Hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
Here I go again, here I go again

Tho' I keep searching for an answer
I never seem to find what I'm looking for
Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
'Cause I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams

Here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time..."

You know what.... I'm starting a new journal... This one's old and all hydro. New leaf, new medium, new thread.

EDIT:
Click--->jandre2k3's New Organic Soil Adventures - Back to My Roots<---click

RE-EDIT:This journal will be closed soon. Be sure to click over and sub up if you want to stay in touch with how things go, yeah? CHEERS!

Sorry for the loss bro, I had a similar issue with my Jack Herer. Still not sure what may have caused my issue though. Anyways I'm keen to see the soil grow. Nothing better than the sweet smell of freshly watered soil and some bud. Peace

Higher than a Lion in Zion

I gave hydro the ole college try, y'know... Just too volatile for me. keeping on top of pH was fine, but figuring out, "what the FUCK is wrong, now," so many times, I'm tired of doing it. I had some really great success with hydro, but the substrate I chose in the beginning isn't available anymore. as I was emptying the bins of the clay pebbles, many of them had SPLIT IN HALF leaving the sharp edges cutting through the roots. fuck that. Soft soil, and organic additives for me from here on out!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom