JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

The Durban Poison has shrunk down about 50% by volume after spending a week in the shed. Yesterday I moved the rack down to my basement for a few days before transferring to jars.

The remaining Big Bud plant is down. I have two 8' lines loaded with hanging branches. The colas on this plant are amazing - thick and dense. I've picked out three or four branches that I'm going to try to dry whole. Today I plan to cut off the buds and place them into a drying rack in the shed.

I'm noticing the Big Bud has a much more pleasant skunk smell when compared to the DP. The DP still has a mild grassy, chlorophyll smell. I'm hoping that improves with the jar curing.

As for the Kalshnikova - I considered saving the entire plant for hash but she looked like she would need a minimum of two (maybe more) more weeks to finish and I just don't have it in me. Its been a long growing season and there were a couple of grow ops taken down a few towns east of me. Why push my luck, right?

At this point I'm tripping over bud (sic) with an estimated final volume filling 12 half-gallon jars. I don't sell my product (strictly personal for friends and family) and I can always grow more. So sadly, the Kalshnikova was donated to the compost pile.

I will update with pics and final weights as they become available.

JASPL:peace:

Re: JASPL’s First Grow – Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova – Outdoor 2012

Interesting story lol, atleast it was only a nip. I was harvest the finest, main cola of my first grow (using an exacto knife) lol, and swiped the tip of my middle finger off. Nothing like the site of blood everywhere with a beautiful cola in your hand. Luckily none got on the bud.

So, even if I don't have 14 foot tall plants, atleast we have something in common! =)

Anyhow - sorry If I missed, but did you use any kind of pesticides/insecticides? If not, how did you not find caterpillas?

Thanks Lee. Funny, every time I would get in a groove and start to zone out I would nip my fingers with the damn scissors. Of course, the only band aids in the house were Dora the Explorer brand that my daughter bought as a joke. I'm sitting in my garden trimming bud with my fingers covers in Dora band aids.

I did the same this last week. My wife asked me when I was going to take a break and I finally did after a few nips to the finger. I get in a zone where music just occupies my trim-trance. I still have one bush left to pull and will try to get pics of it before I do. I didn't have a chance to with the others as time was of the essence to get them cut and hung for drying. Those were beautiful plants JASPL and I learned a bit more this year so next year will be even better. Thanks for your experiences. What was a 80 I/ 20 S, grew like a Sativa and needed extra feeding, which I didn't expect. I noticed some tolerate topping and tying down and others do not. I like short and wide, and will find the strains I prefer to grow so I have a better Idea of what I want next time around.

JASPL It was a pleasure to watch your grow. How are they curing up? Would you mind snapping a close-up of the curing buds?
~_______~

Again, amazing job! =)

Anyhow - sorry If I missed, but did you use any kind of pesticides/insecticides? If not, how did you not find caterpillas?

Nowhere in my garden do I use either insecticides or herbicides. I am a firm believer in using natural predators (mantis, lady bugs, etc.) and planting enough so that if I lose as much as half a crop to infestation I will still have enough for our needs. I live in an agricultural area that has large clusters of breast cancer which I firmly believe can be at least partially attributed to those chemicals leaching into the water supply.

My only issue with bugs around these plants were leaf hoppers and sow bugs.

Leaf hoppers are pretty benign as they only really damage potatoes and squash plants. They never required any treatment.

The sow bugs were plentiful around the base of the plants. I did sprinkle some diatomaceous earth around each plant a few times which seemed to keep them in check.

The buds have spent the last two weeks in jars. Lids were removed for about an hour twice per day to breathe. Humidity has leveled off to 55-58% from around 70%.

Final Weight: Durban Poison

The Durban poison was a tall sativa plant that topped out at about 14 feet tall and about 7 to 8 feet in diameter. She developed nice colas but was never especially thick - especially when compared to the Big Bud plants. I had some loss when branches were broken due to high winds and rain. But overall I am well pleased with the quantity and grow characteristics of the Durban Poison.

The smoke gives a slight lemon taste which I enjoy and a pungent (typical) skunky smell. To say the DP is a cerebral high is entirely accurate - strictly neck up. One toke thru my Fumo pipe provides great way to start the day working outdoors. Last weekend I put a new roof on my hen house and the DP totally took away my apprehension on ladders! I'll need to remember that.

Anyway, on to the pics:

First Pound - that is a copy paper box about half full.

0011040.JPG

Second Pound - that is a large pizza tray.

005890.JPG

Almost Third Pound - that is a small pizza tray.

0021056.JPG

I weighed the buds two ounces at a time and transferred them into half gallon jars. Each jar holds four ounces.

0031002.JPG

Ounce of buds.
006758.JPG

Ready for the closet.

007720.JPG

008667.JPG

Each jar holds 4 ounces. Jars that contained a few cola stems were topped off with an extra 1/8th. There are 11 half gallon jars in total. Not pictured is a one quart jar of closely trimmed bud plus an additional 1/8 for transport.

I'm going to call the final yield of the Durban Poison at 3 pounds even.

Next up will be the Big Bud being transferred to my basement today. I suspect that will be ready to weigh in another week or two.

one of those jungle tree's would win a potm i'm sure... just depends on which photos you use. The growth was absolutely astonishing.

Greetings 420 Friends!

So sorry I've been away. Life got in the way and then we were hit with Hurricane Sandy. During the storm I had 4 feet of salt water from the storm surge covering my garden. Its been quite a mess to clean up. I'm hoping the salt doesn't do too much damage to my fruit trees, bushes and vines but only the Spring will tell. We are expecting a significant rain this week so that should help flush some of the salt away.

Anyway, the Big Bud has been suitably dried. The final weight is 2 pounds and 8 ounces in the jar. Unfortunately some of the denser colas suffered a bit of bud rot so I probably dumped another four to six ounces into the compost heap. I don't know if this plant hermy'd or there was another grow nearby but several of the colas contained seeds. Strange there were no seeds in the Durban Poison growing right next to the Big Bud.

On with the pics:

These are most of the buds ready for the jars. That small plate on the left has some of the trimming with the rot.

0011060.JPG

0021071.JPG

006772.JPG

007735.JPG

These jars don't contain any of the big colas shown below. The colas made over two more jars.

010574.JPG

I decided I would try to dry a few large cola branches intact. They spent about four weeks in the shed with plenty of air circulating and then I moved them down to my basement where they finished up. I think they came out great!

011488.JPG

014370.JPG

016305.JPG

018257.JPG

That's all for now. I'm going to head over to the POTM post and throw my hat in the ring.

I will finish the post up real soon with my final observations and plans for my next grow.

Thanks everyone for following.

very nice mate, well done, some reps coming your way for that haul, make sure you give us a shout if you do another journal, ive not been on much in the last week so got a bit behind so just getting caught back up

Damn JASPL that is one awesome harvest, sorry to hear what impact sandy had on your garden I hope all is well. Can wait to see what you do next year!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too! :cheer:

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Yep. JASPL did a great job. I enjoyed this thread.

Back
Top Bottom