JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed Capn Style - 600 Watt HID

Re: JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed "Capn" Style - 600watt HID

JBoozer my brotha...as requested here are the before and after of scrog measurements.

Tape measure is sitting on the PVC. A handful of colas have gotten just above 18 inches above the scrog with most of them being between 13-14" They stared less than 2" above scrog. They grew about 12-13" tall from top of 12" airpots to scrog net. I vegged these clones for about 60 days. Hope this helps!

Wow that looks fantastic... kinda makes me wanna try the scrog thing right there. What's the "audio" part of Dataudio, dat tapes?? I'm a big audio nut - tube-age all the way.

Cheers

What's the "audio" part of Dataudio, dat tapes?? I'm a big audio nut - tube-age all the way.

You got it bobrown!!:high-five:

I'm old school and like all types music so figured it was a good fit....I actually just updated my picture yesterday infact...should help straighten out any questions! JBooze finds all the cool people and brings them to his journal.

^^^ Hahaha well I'm glad you guys are here!

Been a busy last few days dealing with all life's little problems so haven't been able to post much. Had to get a molar pulled yesterday morning and on my way to the dentist, the driver side lower ball joint on my truck snapped! What luck. Lower control arm slammed to the ground. Fortunatly, it happened literally 50 feet from my driveway. Ahhh, when it rains it pours I suppose.

As for my big ol' girl...she looks great. Still in veg, putting it at Day 61. After all the bending, it took no time at all for her to bounce back towards the light. Off of work today, so I will try to spread the tallest branches out a bit more. Going to try to fill out the SCROG as much as I can per Capn's recommendations.

Here is a picture from this morning:

Day 61

20141017_075329.jpg

Also, clones appear to be just starting a little bit of new growth...but I've yet to see any roots out of the bottom of the 3" rockwool blocks. I think this weekend will be two weeks since taking the cuttings. I'm a bit worried, but they don't look any different since taking the cuttings, so it doesn't appear that they are dying.

Will do another update this weekend some time....probably on Sunday.

Thanks folks!
JBooze

Hey everyone!

Been awhile since a nice proper, picture update. Have been busy with life etc and haven't had much time for picture taking. Nonetheless, I have quite a bit to update you all on!

First off, this is Day 2 of flowering (65 Days overall)

I'll get right to the pictures:

20141021_182019.jpg

20141021_182035.jpg

20141021_182050.jpg

20141021_182111.jpg

As you can see, she filled out pretty nicely. Yes, I could have vegged the plant a little bit longer and kept bending her out, but I'm super busy and decided to make the switch when I had the available time. Yesterday was its first day of Flowering.

She is now getting the flowering nutrient mix per Capn's instructions. Lights come on at noon and go off at midnight. Watering schedule is at noon, 4pm, and 8pm. I will be monitoring dryness as best I can to see if it is necessary to water more (or less).

The light bulb has been changed out to the 600 watt HPS bulb...what an amazing difference in color spectrum versus the metal halide bulb!

I plan on giving the plant a solid couple of weeks before I slowly start thinning out any leaves beneath the trellis.

I think that about sums it up for this plant at the moment.

Onto the clones!

I had taken four clones on Oct 4th...putting them at 17 days old today since being cut. They certainly aren't the healthiest looking girls, two of them are pretty droopy. Until today, they had been kept in a humidome with RH staying around 85-90% and out of direct light. Just today, I let them get under direct light. I will be keeping a close eye of them for the next 24 hours to see how they react. If necessary, I will put them back in humidome if they aren't ready for this much light.

I can't say I'm very happy with my results so far. I was hoping to see roots growing out of the bottom of the 3" cubes by now, but no such luck. However, I am fortunate that they are all still alive. Two of them (the ones on the left in the pictures below), look better than the two on the right. These better looking two clones are actually one day younger. Per Capn's recommendations, I had taken two more clones the day after the first two were cut. It appears that I was a bit better at making sure I got them into the cubes quicker than I had the previous pair.

20141021_181957.jpg

20141021_181942.jpg

My plan is to let these clones grow for 2-3 weeks or so, and then choose the largest, healthiest clone to keep. I'm sure it will be a sad day to send the other three to that large pot field in the sky!! haha

I do plan on setting up a separate journal for these clones in the next week or two. For now, I'll keep them piggybacked on this thread.

Hope you all enjoyed the update!
-JBooze

>>>I could have vegged the plant a little bit longer

No worries, you can go bigger on your next one. I think you made a good decision going to flower now. The sooner it goes in the oven, the sooner it comes out.

>>>Watering schedule is at noon, 4pm, and 8pm.

For that size plant, I might go just once a day. It's good for it to dry up a little bit. Unless the pot is getting significantly lighter in between irrigations, I would just do once a day. I only do once a day on all my one pounders and they love it.

>>>I can't say I'm very happy with my results so far. I was hoping to see roots growing out of the bottom of the 3" cubes by now, but no such luck.

If you're not seeing roots, I would put the dome back on them.

How far into the block are the stems?

No worries, you can go bigger on your next one. I think you made a good decision going to flower now. The sooner it goes in the oven, the sooner it comes out.

Absolutely! As a learning experience, this first grow has been excellent. I think my results will be too. She spent exactly 9 weeks in veg...I didn't start using the tea tho until 4-5 weeks in I think...so I'm assuming the next plant will have a bit quicker growth in its earlier stages. Also, as my plant is right now, she is easily 36" in diameter (in any direction measured), and that is being conservative as well. As long as I do everything right in flower, I think I'll hit that 10zip mark.

For that size plant, I might go just once a day. It's good for it to dry up a little bit. Unless the pot is getting significantly lighter in between irrigations, I would just do once a day. I only do once a day on all my one pounders and they love it.

Sounds good, I'll go to just once a day. When do you recommend to water? Right at lights on or midway thru the 12 hours?

As for the clones, I decided to sacrifice one of the not-so-healthy-looking ones to see what the root structure looked like. It was only about 1 1/4" down into the 3" block and its roots were nearly non-existent. I could have sworn I got them deep enough...apparently not so. Still though, the other two clones look MUCH better...not droopy at all. They must be seated deeper...still no roots out the bottom tho.

Just going to play the waiting game for one more week...if I don't see good signs of improvement, then I'll probably plant another seed...I don't want to wait too long because I'd like to have the perpetual grow timed pretty well.

Thanks for your time man!
-JBooze

Also, one more question for anyone who can answer...what type of light can I get that will allow me to work in my flower/veg rooms while lights are off?

You can use a GrowItBest.com Green Eye LED Headlight to work in your grow areas when your lights are off.

the stem on that plant is ridonkulous omg its huge - GREAT job!!

the stem on that plant is ridonkulous omg its huge - GREAT job!!

Thanks MrRobert! Just took a close-up picture with a tape in the background for reference:

20141023_174602.jpg

A little over an inch or so....pretty nice!

Also, I've started to notice pistils forming (Today is Day 4 of Flower):

20141023_174649.jpg

Very happy with the results of this plant so far.

-JBooze

Looking really good JockBoozer.

I don't think I have ever seen a stem that big.. you might have a apple tree there. Think you got ripped off! LOL

I don't think I have ever seen a stem that big.. you might have a apple tree there. Think you got ripped off! LOL

Hahaha! Funny you say that...my roommate and I were joking around that we should plant a bunch of them in front of the house as hedges!

Seriously though, for anyone looking to start their first grow and have the room to do something like this...I had high hopes when I first started this project, and I had confidence that I would do well...but never expected my first grow to be like this. It goes to show that if you take the time to learn the process, you'll do just fine. I'm a carpenter, a mechanic, and an IT guy, and growing is just like most anything else...90% of the work you put in will be prep work (research, planning, ordering, building, planting). Even now as I sit here typing this, after I chop this puppy down, I plan on making some changes to my room. I'll be making these changes after getting a feel for how everything has worked out so far. There are a few things that I can move around that will make the room a better design; more functional.

On the subject of my grow, I've decided that I'm going to grow a second, smaller plant at the same time. Right now, I have a few clones going in the veg room. They are just starting to show new growth. So I'll keep the best looking two plants and after one month of veg, I'll take the weaker of the two plants and put it into flower. This will be my test plant. I'll let the better looking clone veg for the full two months before putting it in the flower room.

I'll use this "test" plant to hone my skills, but I won't let this plant interfere with the larger plant...so I won't be using a trellis and I will probably stick to just hand feeding. Will also probably drill some holes in a 5 gal bucket to emulate the superroots pot like theCapn did. This way, I can try a variety of LST methods, water schedules, topping styles, etc to really give myself more training and experience.

Going to be fun!
-JBooze

wow soooo freaking huge!! awesome, awesome, awesome - Will be back to see this some more - GOOD JOB!!

Hey Boozer, long time observer first time posting. Great journal so far. I love the simple style. I a couple posts you refer to capn's blog for acticles and tutorial. When I click the links it say that blog isn't available. Do you know if it's still up?

Hey Trench, glad to hear you've enjoyed the journal so far. Unfortunately, you just missed the Capn. He had to quit the forums just a few days ago. His legacy lives on though for sure. I am a newcomer here, and this is my first grow...but what you see in my pictures resembles his setup...not as good of course! There is a wealth of information in the forums here and there are several people here who have very sucessfully emulated his style...which refers to a top feed watering setup with a plant grown in rockwool cubes. His preference was to grow a couple big...very big, instead of many small plants.

It is unfortunate that his blogs arent available any longer as his how to guides were extremely helpful. With that said, he taught me enough to be able to help others. So if you have a question (this goes for everyone reading this of course), feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer and pass on what Ive learned from him!

-JBooze

Edit: btw, I will have a nice picture update of the big plant and clones sometime this weekend.

Wow! That's too bad. His threads seem to be working so that's better than nothing. Thanks for offer to help. Everyone on this site seem to be very helpful. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom