JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed Capn Style - 600 Watt HID

Hey Everyone!

Finished up the harvest last night. It amazed me how long it took to trim up everything. Took about 7-8 hours of trimming for myself and a friend. Next harvest will be quicker of course now that I have a decent grasp of the procedure. Here are some pictures:

20141222_182909.jpg

20141222_182925.jpg

20141222_182946.jpg

I expect to keep them hanging for 3-5 days...I'll be checking them each day to see if they are ready for the next step. When it is weigh-able, I will be back with the weight. This being my first time, it's so difficult to gauge how much there is!

Thanks!
-JBooze

I am desperate to know about how it SMELLED ?
i mean did the smell reach the outside of your house ?
Please describe a little regarding the smell

I am desperate to know about how it SMELLED ?
i mean did the smell reach the outside of your house ?
Please describe a little regarding the smell

Hey altainta, it has a bit of a pine tree smell, like a christmas tree a bit. When it was still summer, I had the air exhausted outside through a filter and I couldn't smell anything outside. When it started getting colder outside, I exhausted all the air right back into the house, in order to keep the temperature higher. When I walk into my house, I can smell it. But I have not once smelled it outside my house. I do a lot of yardwork outside all around my house and I've never smelled it at all.

The strain I'm growing isn't known to be very smelly, other strains can smell much more from what I understand.

-JBooze

Nice buds there buddy!! You started close to the same time as me - I'm holding off a few more days tho but I could harvest any day now. My smoke test the high was a tad racy! Pretty much WOA I need to sit down racy. Waiting a few days hopefully will help me with that and mellow up a bit. Your buds look perfect.... kinda crazy at the end with all the yellowing leaves isn't it?? Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong but that is not the case.

Cheers

Nice buds there buddy!! You started close to the same time as me - I'm holding off a few more days tho but I could harvest any day now. My smoke test the high was a tad racy! Pretty much WOA I need to sit down racy. Waiting a few days hopefully will help me with that and mellow up a bit. Your buds look perfect.... kinda crazy at the end with all the yellowing leaves isn't it?? Makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong but that is not the case.

Cheers

Thanks! Can't wait to get a weight on it! Yeah mine were so yellow it was crazy...but I stayed the course and I'm glad I did. Excited to see your harvest!

First time harvest, JBoozer you killed it dude. Congratulations on your first harvest, the next one will be even better. Are you going to stay with Capn style?

First time harvest, JBoozer you killed it dude. Congratulations on your first harvest, the next one will be even better. Are you going to stay with Capn style?

Thanks 60cal! Yes I def will be staying Capn style. In fact, the second grow is already in progress! I took clones before going to flower. Next plant will be ready for flower in about 4 weeks i think.

Also, whats your opinion on when to weigh? I just jarred it all up on Sunday, should i wait a couple weeks while burping the jars each day and then weigh or can i weigh now?

Thanks!
-JBooze

Hey all, I'm in with what is basically the final weight!

Drum Roll Please...

11.97 Ounces!

20141230_203641.jpg

Not too shabby!

I've identified a few things I'll be doing differently for my next harvest.

1.) Too much flushing! For this grow, I believe I started flushing way too early. I took advice from an experienced friend and I started flushing at Day 49 anticipating that it would be finished a week later on Day 56. Once Day 56 (Week 8) came, it wasn't ready, and it wasn't until Day 63 (Week 9) that I chopped her down. So for two whole weeks, the plant was getting nothing but water. After doing much more research, this next go around I will start flushing just a few days before harvest. This will give the plant another 1 1/2 weeks of much needed nutrients.

2.) Spread, spread, spread! I feel I did a decent job at spreading this plant out, but my new plant I'm growing right now is already in much better shape than the 1st. When it comes time for the trellis, this new plant will be lower, wider, and more evenly spread out. This will allow the light to hit more tops evenly.

3.) Clean up her underbelly! I plan on being more aggressive early on with clipping bud sides that will never see the light of day. On this grow, I did an okay job, but I ended up with quite a bit of small popcorn buds the size of a nickle. It adds up of course, but like theCapn had said...that energy would have been much more useful going towards large bud development.

4.) Light distribution. I'm going to experiment with getting the light as low as I can with it still reaching the whole plant and not drying it out. I did a pretty good job this go around. But inches matter! This next plant, I'm going to increase the cooling, and try dropping the light a little closer. I'll be keeping an eye on the leaves to make sure there isn't any curling due to leaves drying out from the heat.

5.) Koolbloom! Due to funds, I didn't use any koolbloom on this plant...just couldn't spare the money to purchase it. When this next plant hits flower, I'm going to be giving it dry koolbloom, and then liquid koolbloom in the last couple weeks.

6.) Go longer? I feel I chopped the plant at a pretty appropriate time for the effect I'm looking for (maybe 10% amber?). But I'm thinking that I might be able to go 1 more week (10 weeks instead of 9 weeks). I'll be playing this by ear.

That's my plan for now!

So my new plant (clone from my first plant) is very healthy and I expect another few weeks in veg before I switch to flower.

Soon, I will be renaming this thread title to reflect that this is a perpetual grow and that I will be updating as necessary and at interesting plant milestones (transplanting/putting to flower/bud development etc...)

As soon as I have some more free time, I will post a picture of the new plant!

I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has stopped in and given me advice...I really appreciate it! This is a great community and I've had the pleasure to communicate with a lot of friendly people! Thank you all!

TheCapn, I know you are not posting on the forum any more, but if you happen to read this....thanks a ton man! You ARE the reason I was this successful. Your guides were very well put together and your constant presence to answer questions did not go unnoticed. Thanks a bunch for the time you put in!

I'll be back soon to keep you all updated on the next one!
-JBooze

5.) Koolbloom! Due to funds, I didn't use any koolbloom on this plant...just couldn't spare the money to purchase it. When this next plant hits flower, I'm going to be giving it dry koolbloom, and then liquid koolbloom in the last couple weeks.

You have the usage of the products reversed. Liquid Koolbloom is used from early to mid flower and KoolBloom Dry used in the last weeks prior to harvest flushing.

If you are looking to increase trichome production I use 3 products that have worked very well for me in flowering.

I use Snow Storm Ultra as a foliar spray at 1.25 milliliters per liter in flower every 7-10 days and discontinue use 1 week before harvest.

I will only spray Snow Storm Ultra just before the lights go off for the darkness phase of flowering.

(Click on the photographs for direct links to the products)

https://emeraldtriangle.biz

I also use General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom and KoolBloom Dry in flower.

I use General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom at 2.5 milliliters per gallon from the start of flower until 3 weeks prior to harvest then use General Hydroponics KoolBloom Dry for 2 weeks at 1/4 teaspoon or 1.25 milliliters per gallon and discontinue use to begin a harvest flush from 7-10 days.

You can see these products in use and the results in my KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal and Review.

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

GENERAL HYDROPONICS: KoolBloom

Awesome harvest JBoozer , looking forward to your perpetual.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom