Jeff Merkley First U.S. Senator To Support Legalizing Pot

The General

U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley plans to vote for Measure 91, which would legalize marijuana for recreational use in Oregon, making him the first U.S. senator to do so, according to Talking Points Memo. "I lean in support of it," the Democratic senator told Sahil Kapur, TPM's senior congressional reporter last week. (Oregonian senior political reporter Jeff Mapes reported on Merkley's stance earlier this month.) "I think folks on both sides of the argument make a good case," Merkley said. "And there is concern about a series of new products – and we don't have a real track record from Colorado and Washington. But I feel on balance that we spend a lot of money on our criminal justice system in the wrong places and I lean in favor of this ballot measure."

Jeff_Merkley_.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Oregonlive.com
Author: Noelle Crombie
Website: Marijuana news: Jeff Merkley first U.S. senator to support legalizing pot | OregonLive.com

"I lean in support of it"

Not really a ringing endorsement, huh? And it kinda sounds like he could easily change his mind after he's elected. Perhaps he's just testing the waters?

Marijuana activists should pull a Grover Norquist, and get politicians to sign something before the election.

Back
Top Bottom