Jeff Sessions Once Again Hints That A Marijuana Crackdown May Be Imminent

Ron Strider

A decade ago, marijuana would have been considered something of a taboo topic. Today, it's perhaps the fastest-growing industry in the country.

According to Marijuana Business Daily's newest report, "Marijuana Business Factbook 2017," legal U.S. weed sales are expected to jump 30% in 2017, another 45% in 2018, and reach $17 billion by 2021. The five-year growth between 2016 and 2021 is projected at approximately 300%!

On an individual state basis, Colorado has thus far led the charge. Data from the state showed just over $1.3 billion in combined recreational and medical-cannabis sales in 2016, up from $996 million in 2015, with the state nearing $200 million in tax revenue collected. Once California begins selling recreational pot in 2018, it could be on track to receive $1 billion in additional tax revenue per year.

At the heart of this growth is a major shift in the way the American public views cannabis. In 1995, the year before California became the first state to legalize medical cannabis for compassionate use, just a quarter of respondents in Gallup's poll wanted to see weed legal. As of October 2017, Gallup finds that nearly two-thirds (64%) are eager to see pot legal across the country. Support for medical cannabis is even higher, with a Quinnipiac poll in April 2017 finding that 94% support its legalization, compared with just 5% who oppose the idea.

The marijuana industry faces a brick wall of opposition

But just because a majority of the public is in favor of legalizing marijuana, it doesn't mean the drug has gained any traction in Washington. Lawmakers on Capitol Hill remain mostly skeptical about cannabis' risk-versus-benefit profile, and many worry what will happen to adolescents if they have easier access to marijuana if home-grow is an option.

At the head of the opposition to marijuana lies Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has made no secret of what he really thinks about pot. Back in March, Sessions had this to say while speaking to a room of fellow attorneys general:

My view is that crime does follow drugs. In the '70s and '80s, we saw so many lives destroyed by drug abuse. And I think the drugs today are more powerful, they're more addictive, and they can destroy even more lives. Young people had their lives destroyed. I, as you know, am dubious about marijuana -- as states can pass whatever laws they choose. But I'm not sure we're going to be a better, healthier nation if we have marijuana being sold at every corner grocery store. I just don't think that's going to be good for us. We'll have to work our way through that.​
In May, Sessions sent a letter to a few of his fellow lawmakers requesting that they repeal the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment, which is what protects medical-marijuana businesses from federal prosecution in states that have legalized cannabis. Medical cannabis has been legal in California for more than two decades and has been approved in 28 additional states since 1996, but Sessions appears to have no issue with the idea of encroaching on states' rights in this area.

Is it time to heed Sessions' warnings?

This past week, according to the Washington Examiner, Sessions again sounded off about a possible crackdown on the marijuana industry. In a radio interview with Hugh Hewitt, Sessions said: "I do not believe there's any argument [that] because a state legalizes marijuana, that the federal law against marijuana is no longer in existence. I do believe that the federal laws clearly are in effect in all 50 states, and we will do our best to enforce the laws as we are required to do so."

This commentary comes on the heels of comments just a few weeks ago from Sessions' No. 2 in command, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, that the Justice Department is reviewing state-level marijuana enforcement and expecting to find that marijuana is more harmful than a lot of people anticipated.

While I'm no mind reader, these comments and views portend an imminent crackdown on the marijuana industry.

Marijuana stocks face an uphill battle

However, it's worth pointing out that the marijuana industry, and marijuana stocks in general, were facing an uphill battle even before Sessions came along.

As a Schedule I substance, cannabis has no recognized medical benefits, and it's on par with LSD and heroin in terms of being wholly illegal. A number of lawmakers on Capitol Hill have suggested that Food and Drug Administration-approved clinical trial data on cannabis' risks and benefits would help them in their analysis of whether to reschedule pot. But simply running these trials has become challenging given the strict regulations surrounding clinical testing for a Schedule I substance.

Aside from the struggles researchers face, businesses that operate in the marijuana industry are also behind the 8-ball. For instance, few pot-based businesses have had any luck in securing loans or even something as simple as a checking account. Since financial institutions report to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), and the FDIC is a federally created entity, banks fear criminal prosecution or fines for assisting businesses involved in marijuana, especially with Sessions at the helm of the Justice Department.

In addition, marijuana businesses face major tax disadvantages. In particular, U.S. tax code 280E disallows businesses that sell a federally illegal substance from taking corporate income-tax deductions. For pot companies, it means paying tax on gross profits as opposed to net profits, which leaves little in the way of cash flow to reinvest.

Added together, it's no wonder most marijuana stocks are losing money, and why shareholders' big gains over the past couple of years could just as easily disappear in the blink of an eye.

Jeff_Sessions4_-_Reuters.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jeff Sessions Once Again Hints That a Marijuana Crackdown May Be Imminent -- The Motley Fool
Author: Sean Williams
Photo Credit: Reuters

I would like someone with access to Mr Sessions to ask him publically and in front of the press to justify why cannabis is listed as a schedule I narcotic. ask him to provide peer reviewed scientific evidence justified that classification.

Schedule I narcotics:

Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse. None of these requirements apply to cannabis.

Then I would like to see how much the pharmaceutical, liquor, and cotton industries have donated to politicians that are anti-cannabis.

I would like someone with access to Mr Sessions to ask him publically and in front of the press to justify why cannabis is listed as a schedule I narcotic. ask him to provide peer reviewed scientific evidence justified that classification.

If it were only so simple. How many True Believers who are utterly illiterate in science have you tried to convince of something? We are talking about a religious fanatic that believes in Creationism and the earth being 6000 years old. It's a wasted effort. Better for people to take the sport of democracy more seriously as players instead of spectators so that these idiots and those that support them never get into power in the first place. These are the people we as a nation collectively elected and tolerate to remain in office. None of us escape responsibility for this. Let it be a lesson for future elections. All the best!

Schedule I narcotics:

Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse. None of these requirements apply to cannabis.

Then I would like to see how much the pharmaceutical, liquor, and cotton industries have donated to politicians that are anti-cannabis.
I've been wanting someone to ask him the same thing. And I read he tried to resign and Trump wouldn't let him. Wish he would have!

If it were only so simple. How many True Believers who are utterly illiterate in science have you tried to convince of something? We are talking about a religious fanatic that believes in Creationism and the earth being 6000 years old. It's a wasted effort. Better for people to take the sport of democracy more seriously as players instead of spectators so that these idiots and those that support them never get into power in the first place. These are the people we as a nation collectively elected and tolerate to remain in office. None of us escape responsibility for this. Let it be a lesson for future elections. All the best!
I don't think anyone elected Jeff Sessions. That's the problem with the system the most important positions are not voted into seats they are placed.

While Sessions may not have been elected directly by the people, he was selected and approved for office by politicians we collectively elected who could have rejected him.

In the '70s and '80s, we saw so many lives destroyed by drug abuse. And I think the drugs today are more powerful, they're more addictive, and they can destroy even more lives. Young people had their lives destroyed.​

I don't think Sessions worded that correctly. Lets see if I can fix it.

In the '70s and '80s, we saw so many lives destroyed by government and drug enforcement agencies. And I think the government and drug enforcement agencies today are more powerful, they're more aggressive, and they can destroy even more lives. Young people had their lives destroyed. . . by militarized police and DEA agents who perform no-knock raids in the middle of the night, kick doors down, break windows, scare the bejeebus out of anyone in the immediate vicinity, shoot the dog, and if you happen to be a minority shoot you, and if you manage to survive the ordeal go to court and pay a fine and/or go to jail, all to 'protect' you from a 'bad and dangerous' substance called cannabis which has been demonized by government propaganda and the failed 'War on Drugs' which is not a war on all drugs because the pharmaceutical industry can sell in pill form what is classified as an 'illegal street drug'.

There ya go Mr Sessions you knob goblin, FTFY.

I have no idea how these insane people in power can think putting people through the hell of being raided, guns pointed at your face or getting shot, your property stolen or damaged which you have to pay to replace, and being fined and/or thrown in jail for years, is preferable and better for society than people growing and/or smoking weed on their own property.

Regret your vote yet?

WJ
:ciao:
Nope, i would still vote for Trump over Clinton in a heartbeat. The facts are that Trump has done nothing against Marijuana and said he supports medical 100%. Jeff sessions is not in charge. Keep watching the “news”, and keep being manipulated and filled with hate. None of these POS politicians are on the side of the american people except for 1 or 2 like Rand Paul. Havent they proved that over and over? Obama, Bush, Clinton, these people have their own club and we arent in it. Policies are written by the donor class and special interest, NOT the average voter.

Nope, i would still vote for Trump over Clinton in a heartbeat. The facts are that Trump has done nothing against Marijuana and said he supports medical 100%. Jeff sessions is not in charge. Keep watching the "news", and keep being manipulated and filled with hate. None of these POS politicians are on the side of the american people except for 1 or 2 like Rand Paul. Havent they proved that over and over? Obama, Bush, Clinton, these people have their own club and we arent in it. Policies are written by the donor class and special interest, NOT the average voter.

Not to sound too political. And this is in no way supporting past administrations or candidates. But, how many things has trump flipped on after making promises to his voters? I honesty don't think trump gives two shits about cannabis. He's not smart enough much less adept at reading the facts. I mean, if he realizes that the fed govt. holds the patent on cannabis oil he'd try to brand it. Sessions has his hands full that they don't have the resources to stop the cannabis movement across the country. He can't stop it. States and counties want the tax revenue but most are taking a slow approach at loosening laws. They want to see what other counties are doing with their laws and correlate crime with cultivation/retail before they loosen their own ordinances. It's a generational shift that is taking its own time. Jeff Sessions does have authority to direct the dea in any state to crack down. He's already instructed the justice department to enact mandatory minimum sentences for the most serious crimes. Including trafficking across state lines and exceeding the states limits on cannabis cultivation. He does have that authority.

He won't be there much longer. Until then I'm following state guidelines and staying under the radar.

I'm the mean time I'll fire up a bowl and watch these idiots rip the country apart.

Peace.

ummmm trump is trying to do everything he said he was going too. So much so that people are acting suprised even though he said he was going to do it for a year before he was elected!! There are politicians blocking him around every corner. That talking point is old and disproved. Cnn will melt your brain!!!

wrong!!

Not to sound too political. And this is in no way supporting past administrations or candidates. But, how many things has trump flipped on after making promises to his voters? I honesty don't think trump gives two shits about cannabis. He's not smart enough much less adept at reading the facts. I mean, if he realizes that the fed govt. holds the patent on cannabis oil he'd try to brand it. Sessions has his hands full that they don't have the resources to stop the cannabis movement across the country. He can't stop it. States and counties want the tax revenue but most are taking a slow approach at loosening laws. They want to see what other counties are doing with their laws and correlate crime with cultivation/retail before they loosen their own ordinances. It's a generational shift that is taking its own time. Jeff Sessions does have authority to direct the dea in any state to crack down. He's already instructed the justice department to enact mandatory minimum sentences for the most serious crimes. Including trafficking across state lines and exceeding the states limits on cannabis cultivation. He does have that authority.

He won't be there much longer. Until then I'm following state guidelines and staying under the radar.

I'm the mean time I'll fire up a bowl and watch these idiots rip the country apart.

Peace.

Right on baddaddygreen, i agree Trump is clueless towards cannibis!..✌️

Ummmm Trump is trying to do everything he said he was going too. So much so that people are acting suprised even though he said he was going to do it for a year before he was elected!! There are politicians blocking him around every corner. That talking point is old and disproved. CNN will melt your brain!!!

Somewhere between all the lines that are in print and no matter what source we distill our news from one thing will come out. The truth. One side will believe it. One side won't. The left, the right, the ill informed will decide what they feel is "true" based on their need to believe what jives with their narrative . I call that ignorance. But we all have this space no matter what side we lean to.

To break bud and pass it around .

Not to sound too political. And this is in no way supporting past administrations or candidates. But, how many things has trump flipped on after making promises to his voters? I honesty don’t think trump gives two shits about cannabis. He’s not smart enough much less adept at reading the facts. I mean, if he realizes that the fed govt. holds the patent on cannabis oil he’d try to brand it. Sessions has his hands full that they don’t have the resources to stop the cannabis movement across the country. He can’t stop it. States and counties want the tax revenue but most are taking a slow approach at loosening laws. They want to see what other counties are doing with their laws and correlate crime with cultivation/retail before they loosen their own ordinances. It’s a generational shift that is taking its own time. Jeff Sessions does have authority to direct the dea in any state to crack down. He’s already instructed the justice department to enact mandatory minimum sentences for the most serious crimes. Including trafficking across state lines and exceeding the states limits on cannabis cultivation. He does have that authority.

He won’t be there much longer. Until then I’m following state guidelines and staying under the radar.

I’m the mean time I’ll fire up a bowl and watch these idiots rip the country apart.

Peace.
We will see. If he flips on MJ I will be surprised. It is funny though how the media tries to portray trump as clueless but in the next breath try convince us that he colluded with Russia to win the election. Which is it? If he did work with russia he did such a good job that global “intelligence” agencies have yet to provide any proof, even though they illegally had trump and his entire team under surveillance a year before he was elected. The only real conspiracy is that the Dems rigged the primaries against Bernie. Lots of proof of that but not much media coverage. Hmmm? They report what they want you to know and how they want you to know it. Someday i hope everyone can burst the bubble they are in and see the truth. But i wont hold my breath.
I do agree though that Jeff Sessions needs to go. He is much too socially conservative for my liking.
:passitleft:
The Teen Titans get it.

YouTube

Ummmm Trump is trying to do everything he said he was going too. So much so that people are acting suprised even though he said he was going to do it for a year before he was elected!! There are politicians blocking him around every corner. That talking point is old and disproved. CNN will melt your brain!!!
Yup CNN has been caught in soo many lies its not funny. Yet people still watch and think they are getting the "news" when infact its just political spin and manipulation. Sad that these supposedly neutral media outlets have become nothing more then the PR branch of the Democrat Party. If Hitler had the propaganda power of today, we would all be speaking German right now.

Back
Top Bottom