Jeff Sessions Slams Marijuana Legalization (Again)

"In 1930, the 38 year-old Anslinger was appointed the founding commissioner of the Treasury's Federal Bureau of Narcotics. Just as today, the illegal trade in alcohol (then still under Prohibition) and illicit drugs were targeted by the Treasury not primarily as social evils - that fell, if anywhere, under other government purview - but as losses of revenue since they could not be taxed.

Prior to the end of alcohol prohibition, Anslinger had claimed that cannabis was not a problem, did not harm people, and “there is no more absurd fallacy” than the idea it makes people violent. His critics argue he shifted not due to objective evidence but self-interest due to the obsolescence of the Department of Prohibition he headed when alcohol prohibition ceased - campaigning for a new Prohibition against its use."

There ya go. The greedy self-interests of politicians and gov't in action.

Hearst helped demonize it - to sell more newspapers.

I remember reading a quote by some doctor or other that'd been called to testify before Congress (some committee, I assume) about a dangerous drug called marijuana (think there might have been an h in it at the time, lol?). Having read the prepared... information about it, he agreed that it should be prohibited. Then, some little time later, someone explained to him that it was another name for cannabis. Anyway, guy was pretty livid, and stated he'd never have testified against the substance had he known what it was (cannabis), since he knew all about the medicinal effects and general lack of harm (or words to that effect - it's been 15 or 20 years since I read the thing).

IDK. Seems like there were several reasons (none of them really valid). Sheeple giving others the right to do their thinking for them was a big part of it, IMHO.

If you don't know the history behind the prohibition, a good start would be to read the book, the emperor wears no clothes. It's free to read online.

Wasn't it like ON the news, lol? I'm pretty sure that was where I heard it. Had to search for the link I posted, because I didn't have anything on it bookmarked.

But I listen to some news programs and networks that don't sell commercial space, so I guess there isn't that... perceived need to make every episode a side show / freak show. I don't hear much at all about which whore is doing who, which actor just screwed his costar because his wife was all the way across town kind of garbage that their own neighbors probably don't even want to hear.
Not sure what ur referring to but
"The nation's top law enforcer is continuing to speak out against marijuana legalization."
I was referring to this kind of thing being on the news. Cannabis is bad retorick that ppl just let into thier brains without doing any research on its obvious benefits. Sorry if I misunderstood u.

Not sure what ur referring to but
"The nation's top law enforcer is continuing to speak out against marijuana legalization."
I was referring to this kind of thing being on the news. Cannabis is bad retorick that ppl just let into thier brains without doing any research on its obvious benefits. Sorry if I misunderstood u.

I think it is I that misunderstood you, actually. I (somehow) thought you were referring specifically to the "possible" conflict of interest of Sessions in regards to holding investments involved with private prisons, rescinding the order to stop using them, and having/implementing strategies intended to lock up as many people as possible. IOW, using his position to feed his wallet.

I think it is I that misunderstood you, actually. I (somehow) thought you were referring specifically to the "possible" conflict of interest of Sessions in regards to holding investments involved with private prisons, rescinding the order to stop using them, and having/implementing strategies intended to lock up as many people as possible. IOW, using his position to feed his wallet.
It's all good TS. It happens brother.

tenor.gif

Makes me sick. Republicans are supposed to be for personal liberties.... live and let live. "We the people" grew hemp but WE the people cant? I guess not. Certianly not when an all natural remedy that can take the place of thousands of prescriptions sold every day. God forbid we cut out the cartels, increase tax revenue, create jobs, decrease crime rates, stop overcrowding prisons for petty MJ offenses, and most importantly give people a choice other than addicting, life crippling, prescription medications.

:exasperated breath:

Ok I'm done and getting down from my soap box now.
They lie alot

It's all good TS. It happens brother. 

I'll say. I was kind of being a smart-@ss (genetic trait :rolleyes3 ) but not actually meaning to be... and I managed to p!ss someone off in another thread today. I apologized, and hope he's cool with everything. But, you know... Misunderstandings sure are a lot easier to produce via this here "teh Internetz" than in real life. We don't get tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. And, yeah, I'm kind of an arse. Generally try to hide that, but I occasionally forget.

I'll say. I was kind of being a smart-@ss (genetic trait :rolleyes3 ) but not actually meaning to be... and I managed to p!ss someone off in another thread today. I apologized, and hope he's cool with everything. But, you know... Misunderstandings sure are a lot easier to produce via this here "teh Internetz" than in real life. We don't get tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. And, yeah, I'm kind of an arse. Generally try to hide that, but I occasionally forget.
Life's too short to take anything personally I think. I've seen u in many threads. Long or short posts I enjoy them all. U may not remember but u posted a few times in my first thread before I got going. Very helpful and useful info u shared. Ur an awesome individual. We all have our flaws. And some ppl may not appreciate certain attributes that one may have but what the hell...thays what makes the world a great place. Unique individuals interacting and sharing knowledge, laughter, sadness, and everything else in between. Just thought I'd add that little bit in there. Off topic and all but sometimes u gotta give ppl a pat on the back when it's deserved. U sir earn all ur pats.

Life's too short to take anything personally I think. I've seen u in many threads. Long or short posts I enjoy them all. U may not remember but u posted a few times in my first thread before I got going. Very helpful and useful info u shared. Ur an awesome individual. We all have our flaws. And some ppl may not appreciate certain attributes that one may have but what the hell...thays what makes the world a great place. Unique individuals interacting and sharing knowledge, laughter, sadness, and everything else in between. Just thought I'd add that little bit in there. Off topic and all but sometimes u gotta give ppl a pat on the back when it's deserved. U sir earn all ur pats.

Thank you, my brother (in spirit). Way back when, when I had a little misunderstanding (translation: p!ssed someone off), I'd just <SHRUG> and go on with life. But... In recent years, I must admit, such things have bothered me a little. And, all things considered... About the ONLY positives in my life come from this forum. Probably doesn't say much for me :rolleyes3 - but it does say a lot for 420 Magazine!. Keeps me acting sane (most of the time). And, if I might take a slight off-topic moment and run it completely off the rails, lol, although the number of members who've helped me just by being decent human beings is beyond count... I feel the need to mention SweetSue by name. Woman is literally like a cub scout den mother to many of us - and she's both helped me more - and put up with more unintentional negativity from me - than should be necessary. Just felt the need to mention that somewhere besides the occasional PM and in her own threads for once.

Again, thanks for the kind words! I never would have thought it, but they actually do help :thumb: !

Thank you, my brother (in spirit). Way back when, when I had a little misunderstanding (translation: p!ssed someone off), I'd just <SHRUG> and go on with life. But... In recent years, I must admit, such things have bothered me a little. And, all things considered... About the ONLY positives in my life come from this forum. Probably doesn't say much for me :rolleyes3 - but it does say a lot for 420 Magazine!. Keeps me acting sane (most of the time). And, if I might take a slight off-topic moment and run it completely off the rails, lol, although the number of members who've helped me just by being decent human beings is beyond count... I feel the need to mention SweetSue by name. Woman is literally like a cub scout den mother to many of us - and she's both helped me more - and put up with more unintentional negativity from me - than should be necessary. Just felt the need to mention that somewhere besides the occasional PM and in her own threads for once.

Again, thanks for the kind words! I never would have thought it, but they actually do help :thumb: !
Glad to hear. It's all we can do. Just try to share happiness, spread love, brighten someone's day. It's the little things in life. U never know what u do or say may do wonders for someone. A loved one or a stranger, it matters not. We are all humans and should all behave in a humane and living manner towards one another. Good vibes for all.

If sessions would give up and stop slamming legalization I would send you a couple clones, pretty bad when the closest thing you have to friends are online forum buddies. I would probably have lots of friends if it were totally legal, I'm afraid to talk to anyone here about it, seems like everyone is friends with the sheriff or kin to a city cop around here. I have acquaintances, Im sure they know I use cannabis because I wear hemp jewelry all the time, but they never ask or say anything and Ive never seen anyone chiefing or smelled anyone blazing.

If sessions would give up and stop slamming legalization I would send you a couple clones

Way back... I'm wanting to say 1995, but I could be off a year or two either way... I came across some random cannabis seed ad online. I had money coming in, enough to be able to waste a little now and then and still eat. So I threw some cash into an envelope along with a piece of paper that I'd scribbled an order on. I received seeds, which surprised me (it having been my first such experience). I later did the same thing, and included "a few" words on what I'd ordered before. I waited... Waited... Waited... And instead of receiving a padded envelope with seeds in them, I got a big cardboard tube that contained my seeds - and three little rooted cuttings, lmao. One of them was healthy enough to make it to the garden, and stuck around for a few years. I flipped out a little bit when I realized what I had been sent - but calmed down quickly enough. If that happened today, I'd probably be running for the hills, lol.

Paranoia and all, you know. These days, something like one in five people in the US live in an area where they can legally consume cannabis (regardless or whether or not their doctor recommends it). But it turns out that paranoia is like a piece of granite - it endures for an age.

pretty bad when the closest thing you have to friends are online forum buddies.

Oh, I have a real good friend, and a few acquaintances, that I met "without ever encountering them online."

And as for "online forum buddies," lol, I've actually ended up being able to meet a couple of those in real life - so add two more to the "real world friends" list.

Back
Top Bottom