JGibs420 First Grow - LST 4ft CFL Melamine Cabinet

Day 85 going for day 86.

I'm about to harvest my babies after more than 115 days. It's been almost a 4 month journey and the grow is coming to an end.

Now we'll move on to my first dry and cure.

It's been a treat, I discovered a new love, a new hobby and a great community to learn from. I feel like I've not learned nearly enough, I also feel like I was extremely lucky on my first grow considering the small amount of problems I faced paired with all the mistakes I've made.

I'm sorry this journal wasn't very informative and surely not stat orientated.

There were no nutes, no pH testing, nothing.. just plain old water and trying to make it to harvest.

I'll be using the same cabinet for my drying. Lights off obviously.

Will be chopping the whole plant, after trimming away some of the leaves and then hanging upside down.

I'm aiming for 6-9 days total drying time. Then we'll cure them in jars for 3+ weeks (or until I use it all!)

Thanks for joining me and the support/advice/constructive criticism really was appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't have a scale yet so won't be able to post the wet weight. But hopefully I'll be able to post the dry weight after drying.

Pics of harvest to follow.

420-magazine-mobile807474844.jpg

Let's get ready to cut down! But First some quick bud shots. (Pre-trim, I actually took away all the bigger leaves)
420-magazine-mobile614591214.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1868000827.jpg

420-magazine-mobile741045473.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2085667318.jpg

420-magazine-mobile207225774.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2000779529.jpg

No hang me up to dry!
420-magazine-mobile1491089796.jpg

420-magazine-mobile877903043.jpg

I was surprised at the small root structure...
420-magazine-mobile662181270.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1922276899.jpg

Hey dude. I followed your guide to build my own carbon filter. My problem is that I can't find that chunky carbon like you have. All I can find is this.
420-magazine-mobile1487802.jpg
. I'm thinking it's too fine to allow air flow. Any chance you bought yours online? If so could you post a link to what brand it is.

Hey dude. I followed your guide to build my own carbon filter. My problem is that I can't find that chunky carbon like you have. All I can find is this.
420-magazine-mobile1487802.jpg
. I'm thinking it's too fine to allow air flow. Any chance you bought yours online? If so could you post a link to what brand it is.
Canuckbuds, that should still work perfectly fine, I've seen some DIY filters using this kind of carbon. Don't know how much it will impair airflow, but if you already bought it and have enough might as well try.

Bought the carbon from a local petstore selling fish.

420-magazine-mobile1416603588.jpg

Thanks. I ended up finding a 3lb bag and 4 feet of prefilter on amazon for like $16. The shipping was gonna cost twice as much, but I think if I sign up for a prime account trial I can get the shipping for free

So it's been 4 and half days since we cut them down.

They're drying very slowly which is good, was aiming for 6-9 days drying time. Seems like we'll make it.

Smaller twigs are still bending, almost snapping but not quite yet.

Then we'll start with the curing.

Seems like a very small harvest... Think the dry weight will be somewhere around 30g.. maybe not even.. But for a first one, anything is better than nothing!

So it's been 4 and half days since we cut them down.

They're drying very slowly which is good, was aiming for 6-9 days drying time. Seems like we'll make it.

Smaller twigs are still bending, almost snapping but not quite yet.

Then we'll start with the curing.

Seems like a very small harvest... Think the dry weight will be somewhere around 30g.. maybe not even.. But for a first one, anything is better than nothing!
You got a harvest in, with what appeared to be nice mature bud, two main goals of anyone growing. I'd high five myself personally. Quality over quantity anyday.

Cut the buds off the stems today, had some cracking in the stems but no snap yet, mostly still bent when I tried to snap them.

But here's the harvest, a jar full.. haha, that's all folks.

420-magazine-mobile17876450.jpg

I actually don't have them in the jar right now, ground up one of the popcorn buds and it was still a little moist. So I put them all in a paper bag since this morning and will be checking on them 2 or 3 times today and tomorrow.

Reason for this is that the humidity in the jar was 74%... A little high for curing so yeah.

Sneak peak at a random bud I just took out, will send a few more of the nice bigger ones once they're ready.

420-magazine-mobile1852803310.jpg

420-magazine-mobile180961507.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1346096864.jpg

Using the old backing from my aircooler as a drying rack! Intuitive!

420-magazine-mobile1885798902.jpg
Well done Gibs for a first grow and your small space i think you nailed it !!!

I am not far behind you on mine also first grow so we will se how the harvest go's ...

But . . . well done let me know how she smokes .

. From Africa

I think I might have slightly over dried them though, they've been in the curing jar for a little over a day now and apparently within 24 hours the dry almost "crunchy" outsides should be soft again... Mine's still pretty much crisp, but not as. Humidity was 67% when they went in, 69% when I tested for that today.

However, when I ground up one of the little buds (sample I swear...! Haha) it still seemed a little moist (not wet though).. maybe I'm just used to low par, cheap, over dried swazi lol.

Anyway will keep them jarred up until humidity reaches 71-72 then burp it to drop down 60s.

Okay so it's been curing for almost 2 weeks now.

SMOKE REPORT

420-magazine-mobile1372334186.jpg

Unknown Bagseed: Sativa
Most probably Swazi

Smell: slightly citrus, doesn't have a very potent smell though. Tingles the nose in almost peppery way.

Taste: citrus, very smooth, did not induce any coughing even with bigger hits.

High: it's a creeper. Only notice the effect about 5 minutes after a joint, a bit sooner with the bong. Very energetic high, definitely gets the munchies going (but I'm always hungry), depending on how much you smoke, can boggle the mind a bit, putting you in a bit of a stuper. Would not recommend smoking when concerned about people around you noticing you're stoned.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us. :goodjob:

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom