Jiffy peat pots trial run for seedlings

Tattoodlineman

Hello all, so this year I tried starting my seedlings in jiffy peat pots (5”). I ran out of peat pots and went to my normal method of using plastic cups. (Happy frog soil)
In a side by side comparison, It seems like the peat pots require alot more water because the pots themselves seem to be absorbing most of the water from the soil. Seems the plastic cup method holds moisture in the soil better.
Also, Noticing after watering the peat pots, the pots themselves get wet, then I put my finger down into the soil, and soil is actually dry to the touch.
I see no difference in plant growth, just a heck of a lot more watering involved with the peat pots as opposed to plastic cups.
Anyone else notice this?
I figured the peat pots would benefit me, as for when I transplant started plants outdoors these pots are biodegradable. Besides the watering issues, I am also worried about these pots holding up while being transported to final planting destinations, as they already seem very briddle I am concerned about them falling apart.
These pots are not for me

Interesting to read your review. I found that when I was using peat cubes and would set them on top of my CoCo the CoCo would leach off the water rather quickly. Last seeds I popped in Rapid Rooter (some type of a synthetic material with rooting hormones already impregnated). Seeds popped quickly and when I put into CoCo they loved it.

Back
Top Bottom