Johnnystackz's Dark Star & LSD Indoor Grow Journal, 2020

johnnystackz

Hello All & Welcome!
Wanted to restart my journal & follow guidelines
So continuing on from my Post (First Grow - Feedback requested). I have ran into a few bums in the road but Dark Star had a beautiful bounce back after transplant. But unfortunate to say LSD has gotten re attacked by spider mites so i have been trying to wipe off as many as OI can and continue to wipe the leaves for the next few days. I have been using a diluted water soap spray that works but seems like the mites have been more immune to the spray after 2-3days of passing. I have though what about eucalyptus oil with this? would this be safe? of course not in flowstage but in veg?

Thank you in advanced for reading into my grow Journal and Welcome to my first Journal! :bong:
Also thank you for all and any advice ahead of time! :passitleft:

So lets get started with some key information about my grow
Strain- Two Strains​
  • Youngest: Dark Star - Indica 14-22%THC 1%CBD
  • Oldest: LSD - Hybrid - 14-19%THC 1%CBD
Veg Cycle : 30 days - Indoor tent​
Tent Dimensions: 48x24x60​
Soil mix: ocean forest - fox farm mix​
Pot size: 1 gallon pots transplanting to 7 gallon breathale pots​
Light: Viraspectra 450w LED (Im told this is a poor light)​
Air Flow: Small fan and A/C + carbon filter and fan​
Temp of Room: lows in the 70's highs reaching about 78 degrees​
Pests: spider mites on the LSD currently. I have separated the LSD from the indoor tent and LSD is now getting direct sunlight all day and will be getting under the grow room light again but I really don't want them to spread onto my dark star as she looks very healthy right now.​
Water Cycle: Once every other day with nutrients​
Fertilizer: Recharge + Veg Dirty Bloom​

Dark Star
BCF92EB6-3934-4DEC-B992-9601B1E3D592.jpeg
56EFD358-B7F0-4D9E-BA49-084C7F113CB8.jpeg
LSD

44DC72D9-83CE-4977-8FD6-352822D6FD61.jpeg
137A20EC-1D2B-4ADF-A2A1-EBB6E222B7DF.jpeg
5ABA13C1-325F-498B-8769-1C793AD7B7FC.jpeg
84EB2F30-16BB-4ED3-BB20-460B5A208B3E.jpeg
78ED1EA4-503E-41A6-8C81-61D7161B77D9.jpeg
A8EDA17F-C5CD-4E88-9BCD-BF46335109AD.jpeg

Side Note: The traditional method of a grow journal and guidelines is something I should have follow in my first post, after learning my lesson here I am reposting with some key info that will be helpful for any support I could possible need or run into.

Spider mites... Known informally as "The Borg," lol. You have my sympathies. I've never tried the treatment you asked about. But I've noticed that the little SOBs can't swim against a strong current, lol. Take your plants into your bathroom. That gives you an opportunity to fumigate (figuratively or literally, whichever you prefer) your grow tent. And, before you return each plant, hose it off well (every part, both top and bottom of every leaf, etc.) in your shower. Give the main stem a good (but careful) shake to remove some of the water, and place it back into your hopefully bug-free grow space.

That will probably not have removed every one, because some will have fallen onto the surface of your soil. But it sure will knock the population down, giving you less to kill (and less that might somehow survive the treatment). Also, there will be eggs in the soil. I forget what the life cycle is, in terms of time, but you'll have to do multiple treatments to ensure that you've killed the ones that hatch after each treatment. You'll need to do this often enough that the ones that hatch don't live long enough to get to the egg-laying stage. Like every 3 to 5 days. When it's warmer, the activity increases/speeds, so right now I'd be trying to treat every three days.

Then, all you'll have to worry about is you - or a pet, if you have one - carrying more in from outside. Which is not exactly an insignificant worry. The Borg will make a gardener rather paranoid. Good luck with your unwanted guests, and with your garden in general.

Spider mites... Known informally as "The Borg," lol. You have my sympathies. I've never tried the treatment you asked about. But I've noticed that the little SOBs can't swim against a strong current, lol. Take your plants into your bathroom. That gives you an opportunity to fumigate (figuratively or literally, whichever you prefer) your grow tent. And, before you return each plant, hose it off well (every part, both top and bottom of every leaf, etc.) in your shower. Give the main stem a good (but careful) shake to remove some of the water, and place it back into your hopefully bug-free grow space.

That will probably not have removed every one, because some will have fallen onto the surface of your soil. But it sure will knock the population down, giving you less to kill (and less that might somehow survive the treatment). Also, there will be eggs in the soil. I forget what the life cycle is, in terms of time, but you'll have to do multiple treatments to ensure that you've killed the ones that hatch after each treatment. You'll need to do this often enough that the ones that hatch don't live long enough to get to the egg-laying stage. Like every 3 to 5 days. When it's warmer, the activity increases/speeds, so right now I'd be trying to treat every three days.

Then, all you'll have to worry about is you - or a pet, if you have one - carrying more in from outside. Which is not exactly an insignificant worry. The Borg will make a gardener rather paranoid. Good luck with your unwanted guests, and with your garden in general.

You were exactly right! So I did my final rounds on spraying here again just a short bit ago to find about 10-20 spider mites around the pot after leaving them in the bath room. Some tiny & some small. I sprayed the soil and some bottom leaves to keep them off. After some research I guess it might help to add rosemary oil as well to this mix? Don't want to use euculptus to much too cause any possible chemical burn on the leaves though so i really want to keep it light on the eucalyptus. In my honest opinion/hypothsis that euculutpus does work but needs to be managed with caution. I would say without rosemary this spray is more of a repellent. But as far as the spray bottle mix too much eucalyptus = chemical burn too little no effect. So i figure the 3-4 drops in a cheap dollar spray bottle has been working for me. If it smells light add 1-2 more drops. Im hoping just water + rosemary oil will be used as an natural insecticide for now till flowering.. So, after the mites disappear i think I'll go with rosemary only in this bottle and keep diluting the eucalyptus out. Surprisingly this waters pH is near perfect too. 6.3. I also really want to transplant LSD but as of right now it might be bad news bears so since she needs a little life support right now.I am going to keep her apart from the grow room until translated and maintained. 18hrs light still remains as I ran across a HPS light just chilling in my garage. LSD will be going under the HPS when she's not getting natural sun until she feels better. Then i will transplant both girls at the same time.

Big Note: She is looking MUCH greener after consistent sprays of this mix throughout the day.

I also order some Nuke em in case of desperate measures. But I rather stay be lite on her then set off a nuke right away :laughtwo:

Hi Johnny, there's a problem solver link on my signature if you'd like to find more methods to kill those mites. While you're there check out the section about magnesium. I can't tell the difference between mag deficiency and mite damage, but it looks like mag def too maybe. Unless the mites ate all the green from between the leaf veins. What do you think?

Hi Johnny, there's a problem solver link on my signature if you'd like to find more methods to kill those mites. While you're there check out the section about magnesium. I can't tell the difference between mag deficiency and mite damage, but it looks like mag def too maybe. Unless the mites ate all the green from between the leaf veins. What do you think?
I can agree with you here @Backlipslide mentioned this before to me about a week ago when it got a bit bad. Im going to grab cal-mag in the next few days to help, going to look at a few local nursery's to see what i can find. Is there anything I should try in the mean time? @Backlipslide you were right "rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it."

BIG BIG BIG GOOD NEWS: The Spider mites hate rosemary oil & damn near die. I have sprayed the perimeter about 2-3 times a day lightly and have left the pot opened on the bottom for some time now. Only to find some dead & some crawling to the bottom pan these also look disabled & near death. Last we are seeing steady improvements across the whole plants overall health. Health went from yellow to a mild green :yahoo:

I can agree with you here @Backlipslide mentioned this before to me about a week ago when it got a bit bad. Im going to grab cal-mag in the next few days to help, going to look at a few local nursery's to see what i can find. Is there anything I should try in the mean time? @Backlipslide you were right "rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it."

BIG BIG BIG GOOD NEWS: The Spider mites hate rosemary oil & damn near die. I have sprayed the perimeter about 2-3 times a day lightly and have left the pot opened on the bottom for some time now. Only to find some dead & some crawling to the bottom pan these also look disabled & near death. Last we are seeing steady improvements across the whole plants overall health. Health went from yellow to a mild green :yahoo:
Epsom salts is what I use. I'm not an expert but I've used up to 2 TBSP's in a 10 gallon pot. Awesome that you got ahead of the mites! Will you give it to regularly?

Epsom salts is what I use. I'm not an expert but I've used up to 2 TBSP's in a 10 gallon pot. Awesome that you got ahead of the mites! Will you give it to regularly?

I do think regularly will be the method that I’m going to continue with. But only around the perimeter. The rosemary oil doesn’t seem to hurt her at all and keeps some pests away. So happy I found this hidden life line to charge her back up! Grabbed some epsom salt last night and added it to here soil mix. Since LSD is on the wet side today I will let the medium drymore. Dark Star will be moving into a new 7 gal pot tomorrow I’m thinking or today if I can find a free min. Dark stars medium is actually perfect for transplant today so I might go ahead and do that so I don’t stump her growth. I’m thinking to mix some happy frog with the ocean forest on the transplant. Not sure if that’s smart or not so if you have any input on that I’m all ears:smokin:

I do think regularly will be the method that I’m going to continue with. But only around the perimeter. The rosemary oil doesn’t seem to hurt her at all and keeps some pests away. So happy I found this hidden life line to charge her back up! Grabbed some epsom salt last night and added it to here soil mix. Since LSD is on the wet side today I will let the medium drymore. Dark Star will be moving into a new 7 gal pot tomorrow I’m thinking or today if I can find a free min. Dark stars medium is actually perfect for transplant today so I might go ahead and do that so I don’t stump her growth. I’m thinking to mix some happy frog with the ocean forest on the transplant. Not sure if that’s smart or not so if you have any input on that I’m all ears:smokin:
Should be fine to mix.

You were exactly right!

11½ years and 14,500+ posts... It was bound to happen sooner or later :rofl:.

After some research I guess it might help to add rosemary oil as well to this mix?

One of our long-term sponsors, SNS (Sierra Natural Science) has rosemary oil in some of its products. The company has been around a while. Everything the company sells appears to be of the natural/"ogranic" variety: Pesticides, fungicides, and two- and three-part nutrient sets.

My thinking on repellents, in general, is that they're great for causing pests to "move on down the road" if there is another source of food handy. But life does not willingly starve to death. In other words, well... You might hate hot pepper sauce with a passion, but if you're trapped in a room in which all of the food is covered in the stuff, sooner or later you're going to eat it, lol.

Epsom salts is what I use.

Me, too, if I have a magnesium deficiency but not a calcium deficiency. Add too much calcium, and that will make a magnesium deficiency worse (and cause other issues, too). My plants get some calcium via the nutrients, and typically a lot from the water they get (municipal tap water). For cannabis plants, calcium is probably the number four element, ranked by amount needed/consumed - so it's possible to still see signs of a Ca deficiency. A combo "Ca/Mg" product can be handy if/when that happens. But I also try to keep calcium nitrate on hand, so...

Epsom salt is available in just about every grocery store, pharmacy, and department store (that sells healthcare/hygiene products). It's sold in "concentrated" dry form by the bag, and it's CHEAP. Calcium nitrate is available in hardware stores, farm supply stores, plant nurseries / gardening centers, and "hardware-themed" department stores such as Home Depot. It's also sold in dry form, and CHEAP (I get it in four-pound bags for less than ten bucks, if I remember correctly, but it's been quite a while since I've had to purchase any, because it goes a long way). This stuff is handy for other things, too. I use coco coir once in a great while, and - after hydrating and rinsing/rinsing/rinsing the stuff - a solution of calcium nitrate with a little Epsom salt makes a great presoak/pretreatment; for swapping out the sodium and excess potassium ions with Ca and Mg ones.

Every combo Ca/Mg product I've seen came in very watered down liquid form, in little bottles, and cost an order of magnitude more than the above products, when calculated by the dose. It also seems to mostly be found in "indoor gardening" stores. I think the nearest one of those would be about three hours away, assuming I had a vehicle (which I don't). So - for me, at least - this is one of those very rare instances where the better, easier to get products... are also the cheaper ones, lol.

I do think regularly will be the method that I’m going to continue with. But only around the perimeter.

So... any that hitchhike into the grow room on you and/or your clothing, and then drop off onto the plant... will be "caged in," and "forced" to live on the plant and breed (lay eggs) in that plant's soil, lol? :hmmmm:

The occasional soil drench with some of the stuff mixed into your drench (and shaken really well, I suppose, since it's an oil?) might not be the worst idea in the world.

Grabbed some epsom salt last night and added it to here soil mix.

I tend to just add some to what I'm feeding/watering. Either way works, I suppose.

I’m thinking to mix some happy frog with the ocean forest on the transplant. Not sure if that’s smart or not so if you have any input on that I’m all ears:smokin:

Most folks around here (locally, I mean) mix those two products, then cut it 4:1 or 3:1 with perlite. I'll often - but not always - do a 1:1 ratio of the two Fox Farm products before adding perlite, so I end up with 37.5% Ocean Forest / 37.5% Happy Frog / 25% (additional) perlite. But, again, not always. It's kind of a "however the spirit moves me" thing, lol. Also depends on how much of each I actually have at the time.

Some updates on Dark Star:
She is looking great I’m probably going to top her or do some lst training since I’ve just been letting her go without any pulls since she was weak to start
9B636996-2C11-44D6-95CB-689B237CF6BB.jpeg

If you can get the top part of the plant down below those lower branches, the plant will redistribute the auxins which govern "top" (so to speak) - and then those lower branches will grow a lot more, in effect becoming the new "tops." Basic light-seeking behavior.

Topped Dark Star last night finally
LSD has been transplanted and moved back into the grow room.
My little seedling that sprouted a week or two ago died on transplant because it didnt dawn on me I nuted the baby like a bastard lol who am I to be so mean to this poor baby :sorry:
I popped 6 more seeds too:
*White velvet(Wedding cake x Melonade) *Granimals

@TorturedSoul thank you for all this. You have made some of my once cloudy understanding more clear with a sight of day. Big update on those spider mites. We have killed them down 100% so it seems. I gave LSD one extra day out with no signs of comebacks but those fungus nats started to fly out of the soil as well the last day so the grow room remains clear and clean as of right now! Wow these are some pretty awesome solutions I had no idea about @TorturedSoul! Going to try this out! I have decided to start drying my medium out a little more on these two. Also ill be working root structure on these new baby’s (mycorrhizal fungus) I will prob mix this with happy frog..? Excited to see the results on those when I start those but back to LSD & Dark Star, I have put a generous amount of epsom salt to help with magnesium deficiency in both pots and reading more on the cal-mag. I will definitely be easy when moving into using that if need be since I don’t see signs of calcium issues really yet. However, should I add some to my next batch of water & nutes? Thank you for the information and clearing the cal mag balance, also thank you for the the nifty cheaper alternatives! The epsom salt works like a charm and provides some immediate feedback imo

Back
Top Bottom